OPEN MIC NIGHT

buddy

Sun Feb 06, 2011 12:01 pm

In response to some prompting from Marc, I wanted to post up some thoughts on an open mic session that I played at last night. I had heard about this place from a friend of mine that also plays and sings. It is held once a month at a local coffee shop/ cafe. It is organized by a professional performer and he sets the whole thing up including the sound board, mics and speakers. They had a sign in sheet that filled in quickly and I was the third performer on the sheet as I had arrived early to see if they needed any help setting up.

Their was a group of blue grass players their and they had a little jam session before start time and this was really fun to watch and hear. Their were three guitars, a violin, a large stand up base (this thing was huge) and a banjo. These were all professional level players and they were just amazing to watch.

Their was a variety of players and it ranged from the Beatles to country western. Their were a number of original artists that performed their own music and this was really great because you got to hear some things that were very original and different. The audience was mixed with about 15 performers and 15 observers.

They all went out of their way to make me comfortable and were very encouraging. I did a three song set consisting of Time, Heard it through the Grapevine, and Modern Day prodigal son. I was nervous, but once I got rolling and got into the rhythm of the first song it all just came together. My previous time playing at a pub really helped me to not be quite so nervous, but I did feel my hands freeze up a little when I first started playing.

If I had it to do over again, I would switch the song set around and play the easiest song first as a warm up. I found that it takes a couple of seconds to settle in and settle down so a slow mellow song would be best to lead with. It also helped to just talk to the group a little bit before hand and give them some background. I also learned that I need to play with the guitar plugged into the amp more often as it does change the dynamic a little bit and this would help me for next time.

All in all it was a very fun experience and I learned a lot from it. I got a lot of positive feedback two of the pros who really encouraged me to keep playing and singing as they really liked the tone and sound of what I did. One of the songwriters asked if I might be willing to get together with him and record some music as well.

I will be going back next month and now I sort of have the open mic bug.

Very fun times,

Bud

dennisg

Sun Feb 06, 2011 12:04 pm

Sounds like a great time, Buddy -- I'll bet you knocked 'em dead.

Chasplaya

Sun Feb 06, 2011 12:41 pm

Good on ya Buddy, I've played in a large band on several occasions and that is nerve racking enough but I can hide behind others. SO to go it along takes a lot.

Well done mate, be great if you could get a video of one of these sessions.

I take my hat off to ya

neverfoundthetime

Sun Feb 06, 2011 12:58 pm

This way too much fun for one guy in one week Buddy!
Watch out, it's be taxed next.

Great job!

Lavallee

Sun Feb 06, 2011 1:00 pm

I think it would be great that whoever did an open mic or sang in front more than yourself looking in the mirror could share their experience.

Marc

Lavallee

Sun Feb 06, 2011 1:16 pm

Well I believe Buddy that you've indeed knocked them dead! How could you have not, you play and sing just great, and it's very nice to express that on such an occasion, I'm sure you've done a great job!

You got photos???

tovo

Sun Feb 06, 2011 1:40 pm

Well done mate, sounds like you conquered your nerves and did well. It also sounds like the group was full of other musicians as well which would surely add somewhat to your nervousness. I think I'd much rather play to people who couldn't play themselves!

beaker

Sun Feb 06, 2011 1:47 pm

beaker

Sun Feb 06, 2011 1:49 pm

abiliog

Sun Feb 06, 2011 2:14 pm

Great fun this Saturday.

....One of the songwriters asked if I might be willing to get together with him and record some music as well....

And this is great, really great. :)
Congratulations buddy,
Abilio

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic