Are you improving?

neverfoundthetime

Mon Feb 07, 2011 6:47 am

Good question Tony!

Well, I noticed when I started to record multi tracks that my timing can be all over the place. And a good friend asked me to play some rhythm guitar on the CD of children's songs she was making. So I had to strum E and A. Mind-boggling easy you may think but I was all over the place on the first 5 takes... just couldn't find what to follow. I was tapping out the rhythm with my feet (for some reason I can't keep time with just one foot like many do, I have to alternate left to right each beat, then I can) but kept losing the beat I was supposed to follow. To get me to relax, Simon (her concert pianist son who was making the recording) got me to play a song of my own (I'll Be Back - Beatles) and he recorded it just for fun. Took one take! He said, "well, you certainly can keep rhythm!" So we tried again... bit better but he eventually had to do some cutting to get what they wanted. So I have been keeping my eye on it ever since and, yes, I have improved but I really have to focus on it. A useful tip Simon gave me was that I just had to be right on the first beat of the barre, the rest will sound ok as long as that first beat was spot on. That's been a big help and my timing is much better.

So I can see that things are improving but I have my ups and downs. I have found that I am project-driven. I need to find a song to be absorbed by and then I will work for days on it until I get somewhere near what I want. So making videos for the busking threads has been a good way for me to go and I see that Buddy and a few others are wired this way too. So that moves me forward and it can be a fast straight road... or a slow meandering such as the song that's in the can since last week but not yet published. On this one I'm flipping from, yeah that's good to oh cripes that's crap! I guess the only way to find out is to get it up on the thread....

Edit:
I can play that stupid F chord now and it only took me two years to teach my broken hands to work around it. Now I'm attacking the Bm.

Andy, if you are like me, you will find that the Bm is much easier than the F although its the same shape and just two frets down and one string over. I often wonder why that is but is so much easier... you get it for free if you can do the F.

abiliog

Mon Feb 07, 2011 9:37 am

Tony,
This is what I think about it,
As long as we keep playing, we are improving. There is only one way to stop improving and that is to quit.
It is true, sometimes I feel a little frustration because I want to play something that I can't, or play a song that doesn't sound good after so many hours of practice. It happens too many times, so what? I'm learning, how different could it be?
We must move on, try another song, learn theory, do whatever we like, maybe rest for a while.
If I look at a year ago I have no doubts about it, I am improving.
It takes time, patience and a lot of work but we will get there.

About tips, maybe this one, :)
When you're tired, frustrated or whatever, just look to your guitar and ask to yourself, does she still make me feel happy?

It's about love what we are talking about,
Abílio

dennisg

Mon Feb 07, 2011 10:13 am

I've found that I have absolutely no one to blame for my lack of improvement other than myself. I go through periods of laziness where all I want to do is play easy songs. I don't necessarily think that's a bad thing, because just enjoying yourself is its own reward. But when I knuckle down and choose a song with a technique in it that I'm not familiar with, and I finally learn it, it's immensely satisfying -- and useful for applying to other songs. So, yes, I'm improving. I'm always learning new things and I'm learning to do the old things better.

MarkM

Mon Feb 07, 2011 11:49 am

Hmmmmm. Well Tony it has taken me about 18 hours to figure out how to answer this question. Improvement? Sure......I suppose. I was thinking just last week about how frustrated I had become at my lack of improvement. I was at a point where I knew I was getting a bit better with certain things but really my skills were not where I wanted them to be. I think alot of it was coming from not knowing where to go next. Let me explain. I sometimes find it hard to determine what song I want to do next. There are so many lessons up here that I'll bounce from one to another and wait until a song grabs me. I'll usually check this song or that song out and either don't get invested in it or determine that it's just too difficult for me at this time (more out of lazyness as I want more of an immediate result). I agree with Chris, Buddy and others that say I really need to love the song in order for me to want to learn it. Last week I went back to a song that I had been trying on and off for about a year and this time really got into it. I have to develop a new skill to make it work but I was invested in that song because I liked it so much. For me when I'm learning a new song pretty much everything else goes on the back burner. I've learned that I can't learn a song that well unless I devote all of my practice time to that one song. Trying to get it as perfect as I can. Once I learn that song then I'll go back and go over all the songs that I've learned and make sure that I keep up with those skills so I don't forget them or have them get rusty. For instance if I'm focused on a fingerpicking song and it takes me two weeks to learn then I'll go back and hit those strumming songs to make sure my skills don't errode there. So back to improvement. The progress is slower now as it probably should be. It's like a golfer getting to shoot 90 was much faster than that same golfer going from 90 to 80. I guess that I am learning songs at a faster pace now so that is progress and certainly the songs that I've developed skills for in the past makes newer songs in the same sytle faster to learn as well. Once I finish this song up and post it I'll be in the same situation of frustration because I'll need a song to latch on to me. I'm sure something out of the CSN&Y week will cure that.

MarkM

Music Junkie

Mon Feb 07, 2011 1:51 pm

dennisg wrote:
I've found that I have absolutely no one to blame for my lack of improvement other than myself. I go through periods of laziness where all I want to do is play easy songs. I don't necessarily think that's a bad thing, because just enjoying yourself is its own reward. But when I knuckle down and choose a song with a technique in it that I'm not familiar with, and I finally learn it, it's immensely satisfying -- and useful for applying to other songs. So, yes, I'm improving. I'm always learning new things and I'm learning to do the old things better.
I'm with Dennis on this one. When I pick a difficult song and really stick to it, there are specific hurdles I get over that really show "Improvement"...... When I get frustrated or need a break, I will go back through my TAB collection and play several different songs for fun. By mixing the two together, I find that some of the hurdles are getting lower and easier to surmount and also that the fun songs are starting to sound more fluid. I am still very self-critical and there are MANY times when I feel that I am not improving, but when I look back at where I was last year or even 6 months ago, there is no doubt that I am improving.

I think it is important to measure improvement against yourself first and foremost though. I watch all of the busking and lesson review clips and see some outstanding players here. Many of whom were probably more of a beginner than myself when TG started. They are now superior to me because of their hard work and diligence. I don't feel bummed about it, but rather motivated. I know if I actually put in the time I can get where I want to go. Like Dennis said "I've found that I have absolutely no one to blame for my lack of improvement other than myself."....... However, I am damn proud of what I HAVE accomplished so far, and look forward to continued improvement. A big part of all of this is keeping motivated. This site and the support is very good for that...... B)

J

BobR

Mon Feb 07, 2011 8:03 pm

Another good one Tony,

I do believe I am improving. I think one of the reasons is that I really enjoy playing so practice for me doesn't seem like a chore. Of course there are days that I wish I could just get to that dreaded F or Bm without thinking. But I know I do it better now than I did 6 months ago. As long as I follow Neils "get the barre down first" or make sure to release on the last upstroke before going to the next chord. I think belonging to TG you can't help but improve.

Oh Yeah, My wife says I am improving because she can now recognize some songs I try to play. :laugh:

Bob

Music Junkie

Tue Feb 08, 2011 10:45 am

BobR wrote:
Oh Yeah, My wife says I am improving because she can now recognize some songs I try to play. :laugh:

Bob
Same here Bob! I take that as a great compliment coming from my wife. I also agree about the enjoyment of practice and not viewing it as a chore. A bad night of guitar practice still beats mowing the lawns or cleaning out the garage...... :) :)

J

rapsidy

Wed Feb 09, 2011 9:52 pm

You bet B) I went and looked at if not for you lesson and was playing and singing it and having fun strumming along with neil within a few hours.. That was not possible only a few months ago. Now it probably wouldnt sound too great to the casual observer but I couldnt believe it and it brought a huge smile to my face.

But I do get very frustrated when i still dont hit strings accurately during basic chord changes etc.. i mean come on how long does it take ive done it a million times already :angry: i need an old banged up guitar that i can throw across the room as mine is too expensive to damage for me :blush:

yes i have constant doubts that i will never get any good at this, but as others have said you need to look back at 6mths etc and see there is improvement

Looking back at posted videos is very motivating .. when you watch and say what was i thinking posting that on you tube :blush: :S :)

Definately have to like the song who whould learn as song they dont like???? :blink:

i keep playing the songs i have learnt and have 1 strumming song and one finger picky song i learn and practice those until im fed up then play the other ones for fun and hope when i come back to it it will be easier, it usually is.

But its never at the rate i want it to be.

I will know when i have arrived as a guitarist when my wife will say that sounds good play it again :blink: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:

as at the moment i go what was that like dear :woohoo: " meh it was alright" :dry: :angry: :angry: = interpretation= in other words it sounds crap Brad but im your wife so i have to say it sounds ok. Its like when they ask you do i look fat in this dress :S no dear :blink: :silly:

personally i dont think Tony was asking this great question for himself rather to help others, as we all struggle with this same question, and now a great discussion has been made to help others. well done Tony B)

BobR

Thu Feb 10, 2011 6:20 am

Brad, hahaha, you're hilárious!! :laugh:

rapsidy wrote:

as at the moment i go what was that like dear :woohoo: " meh it was alright" :dry: :angry: :angry: = interpretation= in other words it sounds crap Brad but im your wife so i have to say it sounds ok. Its like when they ask you do i look fat in this dress :S no dear :blink: :silly:

thereshopeyet

Thu Feb 10, 2011 9:17 am

Thanks

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic