When people ask, "Do you play guitar?" I say.....

snipe

Sat Feb 12, 2011 1:59 pm

I usually say something like ya, I can play a little but nothing I want to show off..

MarkM

Sat Feb 12, 2011 3:28 pm

I usually go with the "I'm not very good and just hack my way through a few songs". I do find myself trying to justify why my right hand nails are longer than my left though.

MarkM

rapsidy

Sat Feb 12, 2011 11:13 pm

love all these replies.. i have a whole list i can use now :laugh:

I like to say i'm trying to :unsure: when i play with friends or a group of people, i hide behind my buddy who is good and just lip sink :P what? if its good enough for professionals ;)

I have found that it is only people who know how to play can tell what level your at .. for the people who dont they think your good just for holding it :laugh:

ffsooo3

Sun Feb 13, 2011 7:09 am

...yes but only for myself

Music Junkie

Sun Feb 13, 2011 11:19 am

I'm with Stuart on this one. Walking down the street I would admit that I can play a little. At a party not so much. Although, I do have a bit of an advantage over Stuart, as I could say sure, but oh man, I am a lefty and can't play that right handed guitar..... too bad.... I would have really shown you how to play....... :P :P

J

abiliog

Sun Feb 13, 2011 12:08 pm

Tony,
There are a few friends who do know that I'm learning for a while.
Others just ask me why do I use my nails longer in my right hand. For those I just answer that I'm trying to learn, (better than just I'm learning). No one wants to listen to someone who is trying to learn :laugh:
The worst ones are those who do really play and recognize the sign and talk to me as if I am a pro. B)
Then I feel strange, my legs want to get out of that place but my head just want to stay and act like a pro. Well, I find a way to say: "Right now, I must go with my legs." or just reply "What, do I have a jar? Sorry, I forgot my hearing aid..."
Abilio

BigBear

Sun Feb 13, 2011 3:38 pm

When someone asks me if I play the guitar I calmly reply, "Nope, I carry the case because it helps pick up chicks and it's a great place to store my assault rifles and ammo!".

"Here's your sign!" (kudos to Bill Engvall!) :lol:

eagle670

Sun Feb 13, 2011 5:13 pm

Well let's see, If someone asks me that when I do not have my guitar within eyesite, I say yes, but I always finish the conversation by saying, "but not very well". Just to kind of cover myself. Recently my office wanted to do a little skit and one of the guy's came to me and said I know you play guitar, would you like to play for us when we do our skit for the other employees. To that I replied "Well I never said that I was any good".

Now if someone is at my house and they are looking at all of my equipment and my piles of music and they ask me that, well it is real hard to say that you just collect the stuff and don't know how to play. So in that situation it is really hard to get out of playing something, which most of the time goes real bad. I always end that conversation with, man I am pretty awesome when no one is listening too bad you can't be here for those times.

Thanks to everyone for giving me somemore responses to the question. I like Big Bears, but I probably can't use that around my wife.

Kevin

thereshopeyet

Sun Feb 13, 2011 6:08 pm

Thanks

AcousticAl

Sun Feb 13, 2011 6:22 pm

We have a 'Don't ask, don't tell' policy. :)

Some of my friends found out I was playing guitar. I showed them a few vids I had on my youtube channel and on TG of course. They seemed impressed.
But those vids are one thing-- playing at a party is something else for sure! WAY more pressure at a party.
I think playing more with one or two friends will help with eventually being able to play at a party.
Not that I find myself at many parties anymore.

Jeez I'm depressing myself.

:(

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic