What's your "Go to" song?

willem

Tue Feb 22, 2011 4:55 am

Well Bear,,,it is funny you ask,,lately i was at a friends house,,,Vanessa's house..

and they aint Martins..

well we are now in your house,,can we stay???

mark

Tue Feb 22, 2011 5:07 am

I would normally go for
Pink Floyds Is there any body out there
or an instrumental version of The Needle and the Damage done

neverfoundthetime

Tue Feb 22, 2011 6:00 am

William. you didn't say who won the fight for the Martin.... but you could both stay if it were my house!

Bill, you're just a big show off ;-).

A one chord song? Sure.... but you have to be REALLY GOOD on playing that C:

... and I'd play Story in Your Eyes (love that riff) and You've got to Hide Your Love Away (nice and easy for a warm up) ;-).

Music Junkie

Tue Feb 22, 2011 10:10 am

Tough question Bear......

A year ago, the answer would have been: "Are you kidding me? I can't play that thing!!!!!!!!!"

Now, I am not so sure. The answer today would probably be: "Would love to, but I am a lefty........:-)"

Now, on the off chance the guitar WAS a lefty (as if), then probably something like "Looking Into You" by Jackson Browne, "Year of the Cat" by Al Stewart, "Against the Wind" by Bob Seger or "My My Hey Hey" by Neil Young. To be honest, it is hard for me to believe that I even have enough songs in my arsenal to have to choose. Thanks to TG for that.... :) :)

J

tombo1230

Tue Feb 22, 2011 10:24 am

Hmmm....another good question...

Well usually when I'm in a place, doesn't matter where it is, and there is an instrument in there....I dó notice it from the very first minute that I get in and usually it keeps 'calling' me. I can ignore it, but it keeps calling and calling the whóle time and at one point I just cán't resist anymore, shy or not, I walk over and just play something, whatever comes to mind....I love it too much to let it pass me by..

When it's at a friends place, then it will be my first comment: Hey you got a guitar? And again I just play something, not a particular song or so, just some chords and fingerpicking, or some jazz-progression..

When I'm specifically asked, I get nervous and shy and my first question will be.....uh..uh...but what then :ohmy: ? And hopefully they name something that I know and I play just that....or indeed, I play something that I'm into at that moment..

Or when people want to sing, I play for example Hotel California, or Love is all around, or To love somebody, popular popsongs...something like that..

It's strange, when asked, it is as if my memory fails on me completely, it goes blank, I have a hard time coming up with something then.. :S :lol: , but usually after a couple of songs I kinda loosen up and my memory comes back and all is fine then!

Ness

neverfoundthetime

Tue Feb 22, 2011 11:15 am

It's strange, when asked, it is as if my memory fails on me completely, it goes blank, I have a hard time coming up with something then.. , but usually after a couple of songs I kinda loosen up and my memory comes back and all is fine then!

Ness
I get that too Vanessa! Seems to take time to get in to the mood. Once in the mood it just flows.... so Bear's question is a good one... what is your Start Me Up song?... we all need one.

snipe

Tue Feb 22, 2011 11:49 am

hmm,,,,

Maybe from the begining, or Old Man, or How about lets make a beer run or go fishing or something?

mcfingers

Tue Feb 22, 2011 1:46 pm

Peter, Paul and Mary's "I'm in Love with a Big Blue Frog" Nobody is listening to me play they are all trying to listen to the words. Hehe, seems to work. Otherwise I suffer from the aforementioned memory loss thing and fumble for something to play. My other go to song is Norwegian Wood.

tovo

Tue Feb 22, 2011 2:13 pm

I would do what I do when I go into a guitar store, pick and strum bits and pieces of a number of tunes. I have found that playing solos is a sure fire way to convince people you can play, even if, like me you don't play them well. I can hack through the leads for Layla well enough to convince a non-player that I know what I am doing. Other players know better.

If I need to play a song right through, I would choose one of the tunes I have learned or posted here. "Where ever you will go" by the calling is a good choice for me, problem is you need a capo and I don't always carry one around in my pocket for occasions like that!

Good question Rick.

BigBear

Tue Feb 22, 2011 2:33 pm

neverfoundthetime wrote:
It's strange, when asked, it is as if my memory fails on me completely, it goes blank, I have a hard time coming up with something then.. , but usually after a couple of songs I kinda loosen up and my memory comes back and all is fine then!

Ness
I get that too Vanessa! Seems to take time to get in to the mood. Once in the mood it just flows.... so Bear's question is a good one... what is your Start Me Up song?... we all need one.

Ness and Chris- that was exactly the reason for my question! Once we get warmed up we can all find something to play reasonably well but that first. cold turkey, song is a real challenge.

Ness might be on to something- just noodle around a bit until you get the feel of the quitar and your hands loosen up a bit. The older I get the more I realize that my fingers, hands and arms need a little time to get up to speed. I simple can't play anything other than chords cold turkey.

But not wanting to look totally stupid I find I want to take on a tough song and then mangle it badly. Then I've lost my confidence and just want to put this guitar back in the corner and promise myself to give up the guitar and take up the kazoo!

:cheer:

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic