What's your "Go to" song?

AndyT

Tue Feb 22, 2011 5:11 pm

I don't go for songs. I go for some random finger-picking to get warmed up. The few times something like this has happened, the people listening are duly impressed by it and I can mess around until my brain coughs up something recognizable.

reiver

Tue Feb 22, 2011 6:33 pm

It's a Martin dreadnought - it'd have to be a Neil Young song. My My Hey Hey or Needle and the Damage Done.

Stuart

eagle670

Tue Feb 22, 2011 7:06 pm

Great question double B. Just today that thought entered my head. I wasn't at a friends house but at a guitar shop, picking up my guitar. My repair man called me yesterday and said, hey before I string this why don't you come down and play it to see if I have it set up right for you. Immediately I was like what in the world do I play in front of these seasoned instructors and players that won't make me look like a complete idiot. This has come up before and I usually play something like "I'd Love to Change the World" or maybe pick a few John Denver licks. But, because I really needed to check out the whole neck I decided to play "Out in the Country", which for you young folks is an old 3 dog night tune(who!!!). Anyway it is a great strumming tune that covers most of the neck and has a real distinct sound. I got into about the 4th bar and one of the guy's said "man that is my mom's favorite song", made me feel pretty good that he a least recognized the song. So that is my go to song from now on.

Kevin

NKenny

Tue Feb 22, 2011 7:21 pm

Great question Bear, I would love to just pick up the D45 Martin even though I'm not worthy of it. As far as play something, if the person who asks knows how to play I freeze and go blank. That happened to me when my brother in law, who has been playing for about forty years handed me his guitar. It was as though I didn't even know what a guitar was, let alone play a song. If it was someone who never played then I could do maybe like The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald or While My Guitar gently weeps, mind you not that well but they don't seem to know how many beats I missed. I play my best when I'm all alone, hey I have one ear I can't hear that well out of so I can't tell how bad I am anyway

Kenny

NKenny

Tue Feb 22, 2011 7:35 pm

Great question Bear, I would love to just pick up the D45 Martin even though I'm not worthy of it. As far as play something, if the person who asks knows how to play I freeze and go blank. That happened to me when my brother in law, who has been playing for about forty years handed me his guitar. It was as though I didn't even know what a guitar was, let alone play a song. If it was someone who never played then I could do maybe like The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald or While My Guitar gently weeps, mind you not that well but they don't seem to know how many beats I missed. I play my best when I'm all alone, hey I have one ear I can't hear that well out of so I can't tell how bad I am anyway

Kenny

tombo1230

Tue Feb 22, 2011 8:36 pm

Ok, I would probably play some chords up and down the neck, bar chords probably, a little strumming, some picking, then being sufficiently warmed up I would play Blackbird, because although I knew it before TG, I relearned it with Neils fingering and it is now engrained into my brain. My second tune would be Here comes the sun, if I was looking for something real easy I would strum Bad Moon Rising, or Father and Sun, or actually a whole lot of tunes. Wow! this makes me realize how far I have come in under a year as I could keep going on this one. Great question Bear....... and Ness you can come round my house and play like that anytime, great videos. You are obviously very passionate about your playing and the singing was great too. In fact I am going to have another listen. :)

Tom N.

Hydroman52

Wed Feb 23, 2011 3:23 am

Good question. First, of course, I would casually inspect the instrument and make sure my belt buckle, shirt buttons, or anything else would not damage it. Then, whether the guitar would be a Martin, James Olson, or a cheap old Harmony, I always strum a G chord. If it appears to be in tune, I’ll continue with a C and then a D. Next, I might play a standard series of G, C, and D runs (think bluegrass). Then, there would be some random barre chords up the neck and back down. Finally, harmonics at the 12th, 7th, and 5th frets. This takes about 15 seconds, gives a lot of feedback about the action and sound of the instrument, and loosens up the fingers quickly.

At this time, I would evaluate the look on the persons face to see if there was any sign of panic or anxiety (I’m dead serious on this point). If so, I would hand the guitar back and say “Thank-you”. If not, (Stuart and I think alike here) I would continue and play a Neil Young song like Tell Me Why. Second tune might be something like Sitting, Waiting, Wishing or Times Like These by Jack Johnson.

Hydroman52

willem

Wed Feb 23, 2011 4:23 am

Hydroman52 wrote:
Good question. First, of course, I would casually inspect the instrument and make sure my belt buckle, shirt buttons, or anything else would not damage it. Then, whether the guitar would be a Martin, James Olson, or a cheap old Harmony, I always strum a G chord. If it appears to be in tune, I’ll continue with a C and then a D. Next, I might play a standard series of G, C, and D runs (think bluegrass). Then, there would be some random barre chords up the neck and back down. Finally, harmonics at the 12th, 7th, and 5th frets. This takes about 15 seconds, gives a lot of feedback about the action and sound of the instrument, and loosens up the fingers quickly.

At this time, I would evaluate the look on the persons face to see if there was any sign of panic or anxiety (I’m dead serious on this point). If so, I would hand the guitar back and say “Thank-you”. If not, (Stuart and I think alike here) I would continue and play a Neil Young song like Tell Me Why. Second tune might be something like Sitting, Waiting, Wishing or Times Like These by Jack Johnson.

Hydroman52

Oke,,but if you are warmed up i should do ''wild horses'''!!!! well you may use my guitar for it and while i listen infront of you i can hear how it sound on that guitar...

Chasplaya

Wed Feb 23, 2011 7:20 am

Haha, thank you very much Tom, that's really really sweet! Well you live in Scotland right, well who knows?! :P

tombo1230 wrote:
....... and Ness you can come round my house and play like that anytime, great videos. You are obviously very passionate about your playing and the singing was great too. In fact I am going to have another listen. :)

Tom N.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic