What's your "Go to" song?

BigBear

Mon Feb 21, 2011 8:29 pm

Okay, following up Tony's question "Do you play the guitar?", you are at a friend's house and in the corner is a Brazillian Rosewood Martin D-45, pre-WWII. Not in the case, just standing there.

Your friend sees you salivating on his carpet and asks "Do you play?". You mumble some lame reply like "I try". So he hands you the guitar and says play something. And believe it or not it's actually kinda sorta in tune (99% of all "Corner Guitars" are out of tune!).

Your hands are cold, no warm up. Do you try to knock it out of the park with some tricky finger-style song or do you lay back and go with a 3-chord Campfire strummer? Is it a level 7 or level 3 song? What song do you play?

This scenario is not that uncommon (except for the Martin!). I didn't use a guitar shop as an example because there you anticipate playing so it really isn't "cold turkey".

What say you? :cheer:

millponddave

Mon Feb 21, 2011 9:21 pm

OK, because I'm at a friends house and I'd like to be invited back, I would probably say something like "You wouldn't want to hear me play because it would make you want to stick ice picks in your ears" and just leave it at that.

Dave

BigBear

Mon Feb 21, 2011 10:17 pm

millponddave wrote:
OK, because I'm at a friends house and I'd like to be invited back, I would probably say something like "You wouldn't want to hear me play because it would make you want to stick ice picks in your ears" and just leave it at that.

Dave

ROFLMAO! Now that's funny! :lol:

lueders

Mon Feb 21, 2011 11:51 pm

Good question Bear. I am sure I would be overtaken by the moment and buckle under the pressure. I usually forget my own damn name in situations like that. A guitar? What's a guitar? I'd probably end up just playing the first few notes of Fur Elise, or Dueling Banjos and then say my carpal tunnel is really acting up all of a sudden.

As for music stores I like to be a little ornery. I like to play the most overplayed riffs I can think of. Usually the first four or five bars of Stairway or Teen Spirit...then wait and see if anyone comes out and tells you to cut it out. I have concluded that is largely a myth. (you know that "No Stairway" sign-thing) They want to sell guitars, Man. I don't think they care what you play.

haoli25

Tue Feb 22, 2011 12:00 am

Rick, I like to dazzle 'em with my strumming version of "Horse With No Name" (both chords) :) I can usually get through the first verse before they tell me not to let the door hit me in tha ass on the way out. :laugh: :laugh:

Bill

songman52

Tue Feb 22, 2011 12:21 am

Hi Rick. Depends on what comes to mind, if anything. Probably The Boxer, Scarborough Faire, or Takin' Care of Business.

Jerry

MarkM

Tue Feb 22, 2011 1:08 am

Awe Rick this question is just to good to pass up. D45 that was the kicker. If your story were to come to pass then I would have to try and muddle through Needle and the Damage Done. That seems to be the song that I test out at the guitar shop when ever I get an opportunity. Never tried it on a D45 though. Now that would be something. Great question.

MarkM

Chasplaya

Tue Feb 22, 2011 1:41 am

First of all I'd say Hmm a Martin, haven't you got a Cole Clark?

Not sure what I'd play, it might be a current song from here I'm playing, so right now it'd be Polly. But if you mean of all songs I'd play Tequila Sunrise for some reason that always jumps into my head in those situations

michelew

Tue Feb 22, 2011 1:42 am

A perfect and gorgeous version of 'Here Coms the Sun' followed by a stunning 'Autumn Leaves' beautifully sung of course. ... And then my alarm would go off and I'd wake up.

Probably 'House of the Rising Sun' or something equally as impressive at least to start to allow my brain to stop thaw.

:)

BigBear

Tue Feb 22, 2011 2:06 am

haoli25 wrote:
Rick, I like to dazzle 'em with my strumming version of "Horse With No Name" (both chords) :) I can usually get through the first verse before they tell me not to let the door hit me in tha ass on the way out. :laugh: :laugh:

Bill

I'm with you buddy! Are there any one chord songs? LOL! :lol:

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic