Please answer my question

neuz

Thu Feb 24, 2011 5:04 pm

Hello there. First of all, thanks for tanking your time to read this. N
Now my question: How used to playing guitar do you have to be to start playing the electric guitar. I'm fairly new with the guitar so far, only played the acoustic one yet. May people have told me that I have to get used to the acoustic one before I go for the electric. So, basically, yeah. Thank you :D

lueders

Thu Feb 24, 2011 5:30 pm

Hi, Neuz. I certainly can't speak for everyone but I believe starting on acoustic vs. starting on electric is a matter of personal preference. A heck of a lot of folks start out on acoustic. (But not all) This is primarily an acoustic based site so you are in good shape there. Also when you switch to electric you'll have your callouses built it up. (Electrics are way easier on the fingers.) Trouble with electrics is then darn amp you need to hear the thing...and when you do turn the thing on it wakes up the baby sleeping in the next room and the neighbors across the street. \

Also I think you can pretty much do about 89-99 percent of what you want to play on an acoustic. In my opinion, if it is a song that you need an electric for, well then it ain't much of a song.

Cori

Music Junkie

Thu Feb 24, 2011 5:36 pm

lueders wrote:
Hi, Neuz. I certainly can't speak for everyone but I believe starting on acoustic vs. starting on electric is a matter of personal preference. A heck of a lot of folks start out on acoustic. (But not all) This is primarily an acoustic based site so you are in good shape there. Also when you switch to electric you'll have your callouses built it up. (Electrics are way easier on the fingers.) Trouble with electrics is then darn amp you need to hear the thing...and when you do turn the thing on it wakes up the baby sleeping in the next room and the neighbors across the street. \

Also I think you can pretty much do about 89-99 percent of what you want to play on an acoustic. In my opinion, if it is a song that you need an electric for, well then it ain't much of a song.

Cori
Ditto...... :)

I have both, and truly believe that the electric is much more forgiving. A lot of it really depends on you and what you want to play. I like them both for completely different reasons. Depends on the mood I am in on any certain day.
J

tovo

Thu Feb 24, 2011 5:39 pm

Hey mate. Play whatever you want to. There's no rules about playing acoustic before you go to electric, if that's your thing then wail away on the electric. I'm personally the other way, can't get too excited about electric guitar but love acoustic. Plenty of folks here play both. Cori's advice is good, acoustic will certainly help toughen your fingertips! Whatever you do...just keep playing!

dennisg

Thu Feb 24, 2011 6:07 pm

Hmmm.....both is fine, depends on your taste of music I suppose, but personally I strongly feel that you will learn to play the guitar better on an acoustic guitar..you will develop all the skills you need to play the guitar much more..

Switching to an electric one will be a piece of cake then, but the other way around will not be so easy...but again that's just my opinion. If you really want to go for the electric one, then just go for it! :)

neuz

Fri Feb 25, 2011 1:04 pm

Thank you for answering so quickly. I think I'm going to buy an electric guitar by summer. See the reason I want to get an electric guitar is because I'm thinking about either joining a band, or start up a new one, with my friends, just for fun of course. ANd I love punk music, so I'd like to be able to play some of the songs I generally listen to. Again, thanks. :D

BigBear

Fri Feb 25, 2011 2:49 pm

Neuz- absolutely you can learn on an electric and many, many guitarists do so, The electric guitar is, in my opinion, much easier to play at a beginner level than an acoustic.

I believe that learning on an acoustic may be more beneficial because you can play/practice anytime, anywhere and you may practice more. Plus, all the techniques learned on an acoustic (except tapping) can be used on an electric. There are some techniques that are harder to play on an acoustic like trilling.

I play both acoustic and electric but if you have a choice learn on the acoustic first because you will find playing the elecrtic a breeze. Many electric guitarists aren't very good acoustic players. For example, if you learn to play a lead riff on an acoustic you will be thrilled how easy it is to play on your elecrtic.

And even if you are learning on an acoustic nothing says you can't play your electric anytime your heart desires!

Good luck and keep practicing!! :cheer:

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic