You just gotta laugh!

tovo

Thu Feb 24, 2011 5:35 pm

Recently I was playing for friends, none of whom play themselves. One of the girls started talking about a friend of hers and how well he plays. Then she said....."Oh but he's a REAL guitarist...plays in a band and everything!".

"No offence taken!" I said.

How about you guys? Any amusing tales or conversations with people commenting on your playing?

suziko

Thu Feb 24, 2011 5:46 pm

That would require me actually playing for people, which I pretty much never do! Someday I'll get up my courage....

snipe

Thu Feb 24, 2011 6:34 pm

Thats why when someone asks that question do you play ( I think that was you tony?) Im like I dont really want to go there. Only if I get as good as Jimi page!!! LoL
Mike

dennisg

Thu Feb 24, 2011 6:53 pm

I don't play in front of friends very often, but on the rare occasions I do, the reactions have run the gamut from a complete lack of any apparent interest in what I'm doing ... to bursting into tears because she was so moved by what I was playing. Nothing hilarious to report. People who've known me for years are generally shocked when they hear me play for the first time.

neverfoundthetime

Thu Feb 24, 2011 7:17 pm

When she was 11, my daughter brought the new girl in her class a round one afternoon as I was playing. She was from Romania and didn't speak much German but just lit up and beamed at me with a face full of emotion. It was shear joy and I was immensely touched by her sensitivity and her ability to react to music like that. Like Dennis, a normal experience is a complete lack of interest from friends and folks around!

millponddave

Thu Feb 24, 2011 9:07 pm

I usually play by myself with all the curtains closed. It's a lot less embarrassing that way. My son however, is quickly becoming the musician I wish that I could be.

Dave

willem

Fri Feb 25, 2011 2:32 am

When they see my guitar they want to play it,,i am alway's impressed how it sounds,,,i think they are real guitarists.

tombo1230

Fri Feb 25, 2011 3:55 am

Best and worst comments were from two different women. A guy at work plays in a band, so one lunch time he brought in his Taylor and invited me round his office to have a shot. He strummed a few chords. When he was finished he gave me a go. I played some finger picking songs and a young woman commented, 'that's really beautiful, this is the nicest lunch break I've had working here, being played such nice music. The other comments I sometimes get at home are,'do you need to play that in here?' :( Oh well you can please some people eh? :unsure: :laugh:

Tom N.

AcousticAl

Fri Feb 25, 2011 5:55 am

My friend is having another music night at his house tomorrow night where people play everything from guitar to the spoons. I'll be bringing my GS Mini.

Will let you know what's said about my playing (if anything) and how it goes.

neverfoundthetime

Fri Feb 25, 2011 5:56 am

On holiday in Greece with a guitar playing friend of mine we played for a group of people at the hotel's outside Bar/café and we got people singing along.My friend could play well and I could sing. Afterwards some smart-assed German yuppie commented pretty accurately that we complimented each other well with our abilities: I couldn't play the guitar and my friend couldn't sing!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic