Playing cheap guitars

tovo

Sun Feb 27, 2011 9:46 pm

A fellow in my office plays simple stuff with a country strum. It's what floats his boat and good luck to him. He has a cheap Yamaha guitar in his office so he can bust it out early in the morning.

He has often invited me to pick it up and play, but when I try, man I can't play a damn thing! The action is awful, I can't fret chords cleanly and I generally blow anything I try to play on it.

I'm not trying to diss Yamaha here. They make some nice instruments.

My question is, have others experienced this phenomena? Is it common, or am I just a spoilt brat because I mortgaged my children to buy an expensive guitar very early in my learning?

Is this a problem I should work to overcome? Should I be able to pick up just about any guitar and play it reasonably well?, because I sure can't do that right now!

AndyT

Sun Feb 27, 2011 10:29 pm

I have to stop and make adjustments in my playing to play a cheap guitar. Especially one with bad action. They are very difficult to play. Have you asked him why doesn't he get the action fixed? He may not even know its off.

haoli25

Mon Feb 28, 2011 12:58 am

Good question, Tony. The problem, much like you described with your friend's guitar, is that they have not been properly setup. Many inexpensive guitars can sound pretty good and are fun to play when they are setup properly. But honestly, when you can fly a flock of geese uder the strings at the 12th fret, I just won't waste my time with it. Those are 'Pawn Shop Guitars'! :laugh:

Bill

tovo

Mon Feb 28, 2011 1:03 am

AndyT wrote:
I have to stop and make adjustments in my playing to play a cheap guitar. Especially one with bad action. They are very difficult to play. Have you asked him why doesn't he get the action fixed? He may not even know its off.
Good point Andy, I should tell him. This fellow is a nice guy, but he really doesn't seem very interested in improvement. He refuses to learn barres (for example) and just avoids songs with barres. I don't think he has changed his strings...ever. Part of the problem that prompted me to write was that if I say "Hey I'm not playing that guitar" I look a bit of a snob.

Bill, the image of birds flying under the frets made me smile.

Chasplaya

Mon Feb 28, 2011 3:02 am

tovo wrote:

Part of the problem that prompted me to write was that if I say "Hey I'm not playing that guitar" I look a bit of a snob.
Be a snob Tony go on I dare ya... Or take in your Taylor and show him how a guitar with a good set up sounds (Hmm alternatively borrow a Cole Clark to really show him a good set up), suggest a jam at lunch or morning tea or afternoon siesta !

tovo

Mon Feb 28, 2011 3:56 am

Hey Chas. I won't bite at the Cole Clark comment! Honestly, I have tried them in a few local stores and they are not my cup of tea, which means nothing really. Same with Martin. The Taylor just "speaks" to me more so than anything I have tried to date. I'll say one thing about the CC, man that is good value for money. Solid built guitars at great price. Anyway, I digress.

I have played with him, but it's limiting because he plays everything with the country strum and I simply don't go much for country ballads. He's a good guy and has invited me to play with his band but the music they play leaves me cold. He has seen my good guitars and to be fair to him, the Yamaha he has at work he realises is a cheapo and he is generous in inviting anyone to pick it up and play it. What is frustrating for me is he often says "show me what you have been learning" and on his guitar I simply can't. I have taken to just sending him videos! :-)

willem

Mon Feb 28, 2011 5:53 am

Cheapo or not it is just that setup that can frustrate you and maybe some smooth strings..

coomba

Mon Feb 28, 2011 5:58 am

Unplayable cheep Guitars , So that's why I can't play my acoustic :lol:
Seriously ,Geese! I recon I could get an emu under mine. But its all I've got as up grading is still a long way off for me.I have thought about trying to adjust it myself but I just never seem to get around to having a go at it.
I know it is more difficult to play but it's not impossible,I believe you get used to what you've got and ya never know picking up a cheep guitar every now and then may even make you a better player, a bit like when you pick up an electric after playing an acoustic, if nothing else it will make you appreciate what you've got and you can always through it across the room if you get frustrated. :laugh:
Then again maybe its a good excuse to buy a guitar for the office.
Cheers
Scott

neverfoundthetime

Mon Feb 28, 2011 6:34 am

Yes Tony, you're spoilt for life with the guitar you have! ;-) But you are so right, there is nothing worse than picking up a guitar which is hard to play. The definition of good guitar for me starts with ease of playing. Its enough to put anyone off playing if the equipment is not good. I feel the same way about rackets and make sure that when we have beginners or kids start playing tennis or squash that they have the very best (and expensive, if necessary) equipment as that first feel can be decisive (often they get horrible crap pushed into their hands first time). I've held a few high action guitars in my hands at times... they are just unplayable.

I remember being like your work mate... not wanting to play barre chords and fighting them for a long time. He just needs to see the pay-off at the end. But there again, if he's only in to country... it may never happen! :side:

ffsooo3

Mon Feb 28, 2011 7:22 am

tovo wrote:
...My question is, have others experienced this phenomena? Is it common, or am I just a spoilt brat because I mortgaged my children to buy an expensive guitar very early in my learning?
Is this a problem I should work to overcome? Should I be able to pick up just about any guitar and play it reasonably well?, because I sure can't do that right now!
Yes, I've experienced this. It is common. You are NOT spoiled. You should NOT work to overcome this. You should be able to play any guitar that feels "right" in you hands. If I cringe when I pick up a guitar to tryout, I put it back down without even attempting a strum.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic