What makes a good cover?

tovo

Tue Mar 01, 2011 6:52 pm

I'm talking both covers done by bands and covers done by TG members.

Let me give a couple of examples that spring to mind. I love Stevie Nicks (is there a man who doesn't?) and her original "Landslide". My wife likes the Dixie Chicks and their version. I know the Smashing Pumpkins did a radically different version.

Now...I don't much like the Dixie Chicks version, it's similar to the original without being as good (in my humble opinion). I REALLY don't like the Smashing Pumpkins version because it's radically different to the original and terrible (again in my opinion). But here's the rub...why would any band do a cover that exactly replicated the original? Probably not worth the effort.

Now to TG. The videos I really like (and there are more and more each day) are some that sound pretty darn close to the artist who made them famous. Stuart's recent Springsteen cover springs to mind, so does Stuart's cover of Cat Stevens. Both superb videos. These guys happen to sound a lot like the original artist and that's impressive. I'm not implying any criticism and hope you guys don't mind me using that example.

I often find myself starting out trying to imitate the original artist, then I realise that I can't and I remind myself to just sing it as good as I can.

What do people prefer in a cover? A radical departure from the original or a good replica? I think it could be an interesting topic for discussion.

neverfoundthetime

Tue Mar 01, 2011 7:25 pm

Well, everything that's the opposite of Madonna's American Pie cover... that was the worst cover I ever heard. As I'm dog tired right now (can't you just tell ;-)) I'm not sure exactly what the elements are but SHE missed all of them in THAT!
Will sleep and think it over...Night all ;-).

AndyT

Tue Mar 01, 2011 7:44 pm

Hello! My version of American Pie is better than that thing Madonna did. LOL

I was trying to think of some good cover versions I could point you too Tony, but blast me, I can't think! (Just had 2 teeth pulled and am spending the day at home trying to relax with Mr. Painkiller)

Remember when Faith No More redid Iron Man by Black Sabbath? They did a great job of it. They didn't try and copy it, they just went close to the original and beefed it up. It had a great sound.

On the other hand, I really don't care for Metallicas version of Turn The Page. They overdid it.

dennisg

Tue Mar 01, 2011 8:40 pm

The best kind of cover to me is when a band takes a great song and does it in their own unique style. A great example is the Beatles song "Blackbird." Crosby, Stills & Nash took the song and made it their own. The original was great. The cover is just as good.

The worst kind of cover is when someone takes a song I don't like and remakes it to sound essentially like the original.

dsmarion

Tue Mar 01, 2011 8:42 pm

Well my favorite cover is Fields of Gold by Eva Cassidy! (That's the one wich pops up in my head immediately!)

However usually I do like sticking to the original, not completely, but mostly, well you get the picture. But when someone ís able to do a cover completely different wich I like very much, then I'm qúite impressed! :ohmy:

So, some songs, really dón't touch them (as in changing them), some are great with a different touch or swing and some are great totally different, haha, what can I say?! :cheer:

Conclusion: It depends I guess... :)

lueders

Tue Mar 01, 2011 9:22 pm

I think I agree with about 80-90 percent of what has been said about covers. I agree that there isn't much point in doing a song exactly the original artist. However, there are certain signature parts of song that you almost have to have...it is a nod to the original composer/artist to have at least a whiff of the original. I don't want to hear a polka version of "Back in Black" It doesn't translate. (Hayseed Dixie, however did prove that it translates to bluegrass quite well...but they kept the signature riffs and hallmarks of the song.)

I can't imagine someone doing "Cats in the Cradle," or "Ohio" without the signature riff and the basic structure. Then there are traditional songs like "Blue Moon" that have been covered by everyone and their dog and it is different each time it seems. I dunno...

Cori

Chasplaya

Tue Mar 01, 2011 11:00 pm

I think this depends on the aim of the band/artist doing the cover, if the aim is as a tribute then they should stick as close to original as humanly possible, if it is because they really like the concept of the song and can replicate and put their touch to a song without ruining it, I guess close to original with the hooks and riffs coming through then that's ok also. But maybe taking it and playing it in a totally different genre which may take something away from the original artists meaning or intent then maybe not.

So to answer the question it must be musically sound and easily recognisable for what it is and not depart from the original intent e.g You wouldn't want an ABBA style Tears In Heaven ... or would you?

I'd like to see someone here do a good cover of Tubular Bells .... :S

willem

Wed Mar 02, 2011 4:26 am

Immediately comes in mind the ''father and son'' covered by our Bud(dy),,he stayed close with him self and made it totally his own,,that's what i like in covering songs,, when some one does a cover i alway's listen to recognizabillity and then if he or she stay's close to him/her self,,,i think that makes a cover artist very strong in his performance and maybe the biggest chance to do it all he/she can...

Covering songs!!! Diffrent!!! well look to choir partiture's ,,totally diffrents arangements,,,diffrent key's,,,more harmonies ..etc .. i like not all but there are some great partiture''s...

neverfoundthetime

Wed Mar 02, 2011 6:03 am

Great covers I can think of:

Jealous Guy - Brian Ferry & Roxy Music

Songbird and Fields of Gold - Eva Cassidy

Don't Let The Sun Go Down On Me - George Michael

Each one of these was done in a way that re-owned the song by the coverer. Brian Ferry used that Roxy music sound of the late 70's to claim Jealous Guy (as a tribute to John Lennon) and it's the voice and singing ability which claim the songs for Eva and George Michael for me. I guess there are many ways for you to claim a song for yourself when you cover it, just has to be significantly different and not de-valued. Not sure if I can be more specific than that.

Music Junkie

Wed Mar 02, 2011 11:20 am

tovo wrote:
I'm talking both covers done by bands and covers done by TG members.

Let me give a couple of examples that spring to mind. I love Stevie Nicks (is there a man who doesn't?) and her original "Landslide". My wife likes the Dixie Chicks and their version. I know the Smashing Pumpkins did a radically different version.

Now...I don't much like the Dixie Chicks version, it's similar to the original without being as good (in my humble opinion). I REALLY don't like the Smashing Pumpkins version because it's radically different to the original and terrible (again in my opinion). But here's the rub...why would any band do a cover that exactly replicated the original? Probably not worth the effort.

Now to TG. The videos I really like (and there are more and more each day) are some that sound pretty darn close to the artist who made them famous. Stuart's recent Springsteen cover springs to mind, so does Stuart's cover of Cat Stevens. Both superb videos. These guys happen to sound a lot like the original artist and that's impressive. I'm not implying any criticism and hope you guys don't mind me using that example.

I often find myself starting out trying to imitate the original artist, then I realise that I can't and I remind myself to just sing it as good as I can.

What do people prefer in a cover? A radical departure from the original or a good replica? I think it could be an interesting topic for discussion.
Tony:

Can't stand the Dixie Chicks, so I am with you on that one. Smashing Pumpkins version is, well, not so good either (IMO).

As a guy who also gets stuck in trying to transcribe the music as close to original as I can, I would have to admit that I like the original versions and do try to stay close to them. Now admitting openly that I cannot carry a tune even when it is strapped to my back, I have to say that when it comes to actually playing the song, I do just go for my own rendition and change things up a bit sometimes. If the tune is catchy and the performer seems comfortable, it just sells itself sometimes. Good music is good music (completely subjective, I know). You example of Landslide can go way back to Jay and Tammy's version which was stellar!

I am currently transcribing a song that starts off with a nice acoustic intro and then ends with some electric work. I am trying to convert it to be entirely acoustic. I am finding it very challenging, but also very fun. Kind of neat to see where it leads me on this one. It will certainly be my own.... :silly: :silly:

J

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic