I need a capo, but which one?

BigBear

Wed Mar 02, 2011 9:01 pm

Rachael- I use both Kyser and Shubb. Both work fine however the Shubb allows you to fine tune the pressure which Kyser doesn't. Kyser is easier to apply partial barres. And they are faster if that's an issue (I've never been in that big a hurry!)

Putting your guitar out of tune is always a problem with capos so being able to adjust the pressure can be very helpful. The higher the capo pressure the greater the string stretch so you want your capo right behind the fret and not in between them. You want the minimum amount of pressure necessary to not cause buzzing or stretching.

Good luck!! :cheer:

thereshopeyet

Wed Mar 02, 2011 9:45 pm

Thanks

Chasplaya

Wed Mar 02, 2011 11:41 pm

Some useful info on capo's

http://www.frets.com/FRETSPages/Musicia ... capo1.html

Check out the third page with vintage monsters!!

AndyT

Thu Mar 03, 2011 3:01 pm

I understand why its said that you should place your capo right behind the fret, but the action on Gracie is such that I can place it about 60% of the way back towards the next capo and still get a sweet clean sound. My strings do not go out of tune and I don't have the problems I keep hearing about.

This is because of the setup on my guitar, not the capo.

I use a Dunlop Trigger Capo for now, I've a Glider GL1 on the way.

Hydroman52

Thu Mar 03, 2011 4:32 pm

Hi Rachel,

Thanks for posting this. For many (many, many, many) years I used a capo like the second one down on the second page of the www.frets.com link that Chas posted above. That worked fine but it was a little tough to put on the guitar. Once on the guitar, it was easy to slide up or down to whatever position was needed. It wasn't too much of a hassle, because I didn't use it too much. Now days capo use is more frequent as we change keys for singing. The vocal range is not too broad. Currently, I use a Dunlop trigger like Andy. But, after reading others preferences here, I may try the Shubb. The Dunlop works fine, but there is a bunch of hardware sticking out that sometimes gets in the way. It's nothing that is too much of a problem, but a person needs all the help they can get sometimes.

Thanks,
Hydroman52

sws626

Fri Mar 04, 2011 12:36 pm

Hi Rachel,

I'm very happy with the G7 capo on my Martin 000. I'm sure the others mentioned here are also good, though.

-Stuart

haoli25

Sat Mar 05, 2011 12:39 am

Hi Rachel,

Over the years I think I have tried them all. I use a G-7TH for my 6-strings and a PAIGE for my 12-string right now and I would buy those again. Both seem to 'get in the way' less than many others I have tried.

Bill

songman52

Thu Mar 10, 2011 1:57 am

I have used several different styles, but always rely on my Shubb (actually I have three counting the one my brother-in-law borrowed a few years ago.)
I find them easy to adjust the pressure and can be adjusted to fit almost anywhere on the neck as well as fit different guitars. They are also very non-obtrusive (I don't hit them with my thumb). One of them I have used for over twenty years and it still works fine, though the newer ones have smoother clamping action. Oh yeah, I see them used in videos and it always looks upside down to me. I "hang" mine over the top of the neck to clamp it on (open side down) but I usually see others clamp it from underneath (open side up). I've used mine this way for many years and it works for me, plus it's easy to just hang on the neck while I'm positioning it.

I also have several of the Dunlop adjustable capos. They are also non-obtrusive, easy to use, portable, and inexpensive so I have several. Never know when a guitar might be available!

Hey Ken, I have one of those Eberhards in a model #3. It's really old so maybe it's a collectible, eh? I do find that they are prone to shrink, though, especially around kids.

Jerry

stratman3

Sat Mar 12, 2011 7:29 am

OK, I'll jump in, I have not been on the forum for awhile,

I use a Kyser and it works just fine. I aways wondered what brand of capo Neil H uses, does anybody know?

Gary B)

sbutler

Sat Mar 12, 2011 8:08 am

Gary,

He mentioned in the last Weekly update that he (Neil) uses a the Shubb.

Scott

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic