I need a capo, but which one?

fiddlechick

Wed Mar 02, 2011 11:08 am

Newbie here, and I need a capo. I've been borrowing one that works well, a Kyser. But when I get on ebay to look at 'em, I get overwhelmed. I could buy another Kyser of course, but what if there is something even better out there that I don't know about?
What can you tell me about capos, my new guitar friends?
peace, rachel
PS I have a little Martin parlour guitar

Music Junkie

Wed Mar 02, 2011 12:09 pm

Hi Rachel,

Personally I'd definitely go for Shubb-capos!

Of course, there are other good ones available, but mine has never let me down and is very user-friendly, so you might wanna take a look at those!

Cheers

Ness

RicksPick

Wed Mar 02, 2011 12:58 pm

Hi Rachel

I use the clamp type at home as these are quick and easy to move about the frets
But am about to buy a cheeper one for my guitar at work, one of those that is a rubber band attached to a stiff plastic barre part
Hope you understood that lol,
They all work, some are easyier than others,

RicksPick

Music Junkie

Wed Mar 02, 2011 1:03 pm

I have to agree with Vanessa. I really prefer the Shubb capos. Easy to use and adjustable for various guitars. Here is a link to their site.

http://www.shubb.com/

I have two of them along with various others that I have tried. The others are collecting a lot of dust lately..... :)

J

Chasplaya

Wed Mar 02, 2011 1:13 pm

Hi Rachel, I have both Kyser and Shubb and both are equally good. However, considered to be the Rolls Royce of Capos is the G7 brand, they are not cheap:

check em out here

http://www.g7th.com/

tovo

Wed Mar 02, 2011 1:40 pm

I'm with Chas Rachel. G7th is the stuff. I have one and it's a beautiful thing. Almost makes you want to capo everything so you can use it!

dennisg

Wed Mar 02, 2011 1:41 pm

I'm really partial to the Kysers because they go on and off so quickly and easily. One more thing you can do with it (that you can't do with a lot of other capos) is apply it to all the strings except the low E. I play a couple of songs where I put the capo on the second fret. I turn the capo upside down and clamp it on. leaving the low E un-capo'd. It's the equivalent of drop-D tuning, but without having to change any chord shapes for chords that use the low E string. I recently uploaded a video of me and my wife doing a Sheryl Crow song called "The Difficult Kind" where I use that method with the capo.

neverfoundthetime

Wed Mar 02, 2011 1:48 pm

I have used all kinds of capos and the HERIBA is the best I've ever had. Easy to put on and take of and very gentle on the strings.
http://www.thomann.de/gb/heriba_capos.html

skaladar

Wed Mar 02, 2011 2:41 pm

Mine's an Eberhard Faber, their model #2 I believe.

Ken

willem

Wed Mar 02, 2011 3:41 pm

Hi,,well i am sure you get one but when you have put it on your guitar tune the strings again they go a bit sharp and here are people with sharp ears...when you put it off tune also again all the strings...

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic