WHO'S STRONGER, YOU OR THE MARSHMALLOW?

tovo

Fri Mar 04, 2011 2:40 pm

It's 1 all the way for me. I'm a rock. I NEVER waver. I'm strong and focused. Although....sometimes it's 2.

Chasplaya

Fri Mar 04, 2011 3:00 pm

Well generally I'm 1, since I can't stand it when I can't get a song done.....but there are exceptions...still I usually am a pitbull when it comes down to nailing a song all the way through....but yeah when it takes too long, I 'look' at the other marshmellows too, haha!

abiliog

Fri Mar 04, 2011 4:09 pm

Definitely 1, no doubt about it.
But look... Chris... Thick As Brick...... maybe 0,9 was my true option
Abilio,

haoli25

Fri Mar 04, 2011 6:14 pm

YES, I will have another marshmallow, please. I didn't eat the last one (wiping the corners of my mouth). I think someone stole it....yeah, that's it.......someone stole it......it could have been Michele. :laugh: :laugh:

Bill

cosmicmechanic

Fri Mar 04, 2011 8:58 pm

I voted 1, which does take some discipline, but in the interest of full disclosure, I must admit to the following:

I'm used to hearing that the brain has unlimited capacity, but I've found that after pushing a certain quantity
of information into my head by the front end, it starts coming out from the back end.

So maybe I don't really need the marshmallow, 'cause marshmallow is what I've got for brains!

Pierre

lueders

Fri Mar 04, 2011 9:31 pm

michelew wrote:
In truth I need another option. Sometimes I eat the marshmellow, sometimes I nibble the marshmellow, sometimes I only eat half the marshmellow (or just the middle), sometimes I stare at the marshmellow and say 'you'll keep'. Damn marshmellow!

So which option do I pick?

:P

Michele
I'm with Michelle on this...I need more options. I know this is a fun little hypothetical post and stuff. But, man there are just so many variables to give a definitive answer.... I'll confess that sometimes I feel like Bill Murray or Dan Akroyd up against Mr. Stay Puft and other times I wouldn't think of spoiling my supper.

But overall...Marshmallow muncher or all-business? Depends on how bad I wanted to learn the said tune in the first place. It also depends on the constant fluctuation of available time in a given: day, week, or month. Also, you have to weigh in your" three- to-five years- from-now" big picture goals that are different for everyone. Being accomplished musically and being able to play a bunch of songs are two different big picture goals and therefore this is a big game changer in itself. Other folks have big picture goals that I haven't even mentioned here. And I'm sure these varied goals factor into to their thinking on how long they want to spend on a given song. Maybe they are just drawn to that song for a specific technique, perhaps. I think like this sometimes...
Learning "Under the Bridge" all the way through wasn't that important to me honestly. I mean really, why do I care? I can't sing anyway...but man those techniques in there are pure gold, PONY-BOY ! (dumb movie reference) I can apply some of those in my tunes maybe someday...(and hopefully I'll get someone else to sing 'em.)

Leave it to me to take a fun poll and make it all serious... Sorry, Cori

unclewalt

Fri Mar 04, 2011 11:59 pm

I've come up with something that works for me: I work on one really hard song and one somewhat hard one at a time. For months, I've been working on "Classical Gas" and, for much of that time, "Alice's Restaurant" (which has been a lot harder for me than I thought it would be) and "Hey Hey."

While doing this, I also practice songs I already know fairly well, but have just learned recently, and I mess around a little with ones I'm planning to work on in the future, but I don't let myself get bogged down on those until I have the hard one in my fingers. In this way, I have enough variation in my practice to avoid getting bored, while still being disciplined enough to stick to what I'm mainly working on. I also just jam out now and again on stuff I know well, either on acoustic or electric -- since that's why we do all this work, after all.

I now have all of "Classical Gas" in my fingers. In several more months, I hope to be able to play it with zero mistakes most of the time. But now I'm moving on to either "Thick as a Brick" or "Linus and Lucy," for my main hard song -- I haven't decided yet. The Tull seems a little easier, so maybe I'll give myself a break with that after my very challenging time with "Gas." "Windy and Warm" will be my first secondary one.

jimbo58

Sat Mar 05, 2011 12:12 am

That kid that lasted a full 11 seconds is so much stronger than me! But now I have a name for it, D.D.D. Discipline deficit disorder....... that makes me feel better. or maybe now I can get some counseling now that I have a name for my weakness syndrome, but not now I must go and check out Neil's new lesson, what is , oh yes Thick as a Brick, appropriate I guess. I voted no.

Lavallee

Sat Mar 05, 2011 12:19 am

I ate too many marshmallows in my life. I had a short role in Ghost buster.

Marc

sbutler

Sat Mar 05, 2011 3:28 pm

Well everyone, I'm back from Missouri, and this is the first thing I see. I can wait till the cows come home for the second one. Unless there is a nice campfire going, in which case, i may as well eat the first one while I'm roasting the second. So am I wishy washy or just efficient?

What would Neil do?

Scott

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic