A lay over day in Memphis

sbutler

Sat Mar 05, 2011 4:39 pm

I just got back from my trip to the Midwest. Oddly enough, the best way back to Anchorage from Kansas City, was through Memphis. And this time I had a whole day to kill, so there was one place on my mind and that was the Gibson Guitar factory in downtown.

I rented a car, but in retrospect, had I been able to do a little more research before I went, I think I could have found a free shuttle to Beal Street. Gibson is only a block south of Beal.

As many of you know, and i think I learned it here, there are factory tours through the plant, so I signed up. While I waited for the tour to start, I did what any self respecting, wanna be picker would do and that is to play as many different guitars as I could before I left. At first I didn't look at a tag. I simply picked them up, one at a time and started playing. It is interesting to me how un-forgiving the muscle memory is for me at this time. Some of these guitars and I just didn't get along from the first note. Some sounded like a herd of Angles practicing for their next performance. Those were the guitars that I stuck with while there.

Of course the song that I played on each guitar I touched, was Windy and Warm. I did have the luxury of NOT being embarrassed when I heard the girl at the counter tell another customer "For some reason, every guitar player that comes in here, either plays Sweet Home Alabama, or Stairway to Heaven". So I knew what NOT to play. But Windy and Warm has a lot of bends and hammer on's that allowed me to judge one guitar against the other. As I've mentioned before, I haven't been doing this for years and years, so learning about the different nuances of each guitar type is still really fun for me.

Anyway, from the little experience that I've had playing, I honestly hadn't really been a fan of Gibson acoustic guitars. Before I left however, I found a couple that really sang to me. They played so easily, I had a hard time putting them down. The one that I felt the closest too, was the Hummingbird series. Mahogany back and sides, Spruce top. I believe they had a Rosewood fret board. The pick guard was very Gaudy to me, but hell that can be replaced. So before I left Memphis, I was a fan of at least some of their line of acoustics.

The tour was fun. Being an amateur wood worker and a guitar player to boot, made it really interesting. The Memphis plant only makes the hollow and semi-hollow body guitars so that was a little disappointment. I really want to watch the Les Pauls going through production.

The tour started with the humidity control aspect (55%) then piles of Maple and Poplar becoming backs and sides. They showed how the CNC machine made the fronts and how those pieces were assembled. I was a little disappointed in the fact that although they are very proud of the joinery that fits the necks to the body's, they didn't show us that process. They described the process of cutting the fret boards to accept the frets, but didn't show us that process either. After the edging had been installed, they took us to the paint booth and we saw the stain and color applied. Then polishing and adding the electronics. We did get to hear what a brand new ES 137 sounded like with its noise debut.

So no video allowed. Nor camera's with flash so I didn't get any pix. But all in all it was a fun way to spend the afternoon even though I wanted more.

Scott

dennisg

Sat Mar 05, 2011 6:11 pm

Wauw Scott, good for you! Would have loved to come with you! ;)

And great to read you back alive and well, thanks for sharing your story!

Cheers

Ness

sbutler

Sat Mar 05, 2011 6:30 pm

Vanessa, my adventure didn't end there. After that tour, I just had to go to Graceland. Of course, Memphis makes a big deal out of Elvis, and rightfully so when you consider the impact he had on the worlds music.

That too, was very interesting. I saw the (still active) Sun Studio were Elvis cut his first records. Others such as BB King, Jerry Lee Louis also recorded records there. There was a mix up with the shuttle that was supposed to pick me up and take me back down town. So I was almost two hours late getting to the city and didn't get to tour that studio. Maybe next time.

Scott

michelew

Sat Mar 05, 2011 6:47 pm

I can't believe it! :ohmy:

My first reaction was, whý in the world didn't he go to Graceland???? But then I thought, this must have been another Memphis-town, haha, wich would have been a good excuse! ;)

But you've actually been there, Graceland that is? Wauw! Well he's my favorite entertainer and biggest influence ever, so again, I would have absolutely lóved to come with you!!!! :P

sbutler wrote:
Vanessa, my adventure didn't end there. After that tour, I just had to go to Graceland. Of course, Memphis makes a big deal out of Elvis, and rightfully so when you consider the impact he had on the worlds music.

That too, was very interesting. I saw the (still active) Sun Studio were Elvis cut his first records. Others such as BB King, Jerry Lee Louis also recorded records there. There was a mix up with the shuttle that was supposed to pick me up and take me back down town. So I was almost two hours late getting to the city and didn't get to tour that studio. Maybe next time.

Scott

sbutler

Sat Mar 05, 2011 7:00 pm

Ok, so now that I know absolutely every thing there is to know about Elvis now, come on over and I'll take you there for the tour. Its easy.

Scott

Lavallee

Sat Mar 05, 2011 10:50 pm

Hi Scott, thanks for the info on your tour. Must have been interesting. Playing Windy and warm on a hollow body must have made you feel like Chet Atkins (even though his guitar was a Gretsch).

Thanks

Marc

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic