thedancer

Wed Mar 09, 2011 4:23 am

Hi

How many guitars have you got?

Why do you have that many guitars?

Dancer

tovo

Wed Mar 09, 2011 5:38 am

I can only talk about how many I HAD. A bit like my sporting prowess....these days it's all about what I USED to do! :)

Anyway, I have 3. My Taylor Koa, My Big Baby and my Yamaha silent. The Koa is my main guitar, the Baby is for campfire playing (literally) and the Yamaha is for travel. I have them because they all have a purpose.

I had another Taylor which I sold, and a Larrivee which I sold and a Les Paul which I sold. I sold all 3 to help fund the Koa, and I sold the electric because although it was beautiful I'm just not that turned on by electric guitar, I love the acoustics.

neverfoundthetime

Wed Mar 09, 2011 6:01 am

I have 2 3/4 guitars.
A Takamine 12 string which I love and a Takamine 6 string nylon for picking. The 3/4 is a 3/4 size kids guitar which my daughter doesn't play.
...and a BSG Brazilian Rosewood is waiting for me out there one day... sigh!

Catman

Wed Mar 09, 2011 6:17 am

Nine.

It's mostly one of each. The only real overlap are the two 6-string acoustics. But one is a nice solid wood pampered guitar, and the other is camp-fire capable. In chronological order

1. Hollow body, semi-acoustical bass. Eastern European, no-name. This is the first instrument I ever bought. It was used. I just recently had it refurbished.

2. A Yamaha G150 classical guitar. This is the first instrument I bought new.

3. A Suzuki 12 string acoustic, no electronics. I don't recall the exact model, and I looking for a replacement.

4. An Applause (by Ovation) AE147 acoustic with electronics. A birthday present from my wife, and in my profile picture. It is now my camp-fire/travel guitar owing to its indestructible fiber back and laminate top.

5. A Fender Jazz Bass (MM)

6. A Gibson Les Paul Studio Electric

7. A Taylor T5 hybrid

8. A Taylor 814ce acoustic with electronics

9. A Taylor NS74ce nylon crossover

She who must be obeyed has decreed that this is the maximum. Any new acquisition must be compensated by getting rid of one of the existing guitars.

-David

michelew

Wed Mar 09, 2011 6:35 am

Hi Dancer, I'm hoping you'll tell us about your guitar(s) as well.

I currently have 3, soon to be 2.

My first guitar is a Yamaha dreadnought FG413S. It is a very good entry level guitar, has a solid top and has served me very well. However, I'm now not playing it which I'll explain in a second and I'm about to gift it to my daughter.

I borrowed a Yamaha G55A classical guitar for a while to see whether I'd enjoy playing a classical guitar, including the wider neck. I really liked the sound, but it actuslly wasn't playable past the 5th fret and the saddle couldnt be lowered any further. So i decided to get myself a nice classical.

So guitar number 2 is a Hofner HM83 classical. The nylon strings, African wood (can't remember the name right now) and lighter construction gives it a beautiful rich, mellow but bright sound, which I love. And of course it is perfect for classical, Spanish and Renaissance/baroque type pieces.

My third guitar is a beautiful Larrivee OMV-09, which I acquired after its owner fell in love with a beautiful Taylor Koa. Well she's been very happy at my place and is great for me. She has a smaller body than my Yamaha and a wider neck, which makes her better suited to fingerpicking (my style of choice) and my body size. She is also made of rosewood and spruce which makes her sing sweetly. So she is now my go to guitar.

I kept the Yamaha because I thought I'd be using it for alternate tunings, but it has a thinner neck and going between the 2 different neck widths just confuses my brain. It's not really an issue on the classical because I play different material on it. So it's time to hand the Yamaha on to my sweet little girl (ha ha - she'd hate being called that) in the hope that it will inspire her to play more.

So - soon I will have 2. And I'm sure that's more than you ever wanted to know. Careful what you ask around here.

Michele

Chasplaya

Wed Mar 09, 2011 12:59 pm

Well I've had 10 guitars in my life currently have 7. The 3 I no longer have were a Vox Teardrop same as Brian Jones', a Walden Dreadnought, and an Ashton Les Paul copy. Sold the Teardrop cos I couldn't bring it to NZ when I emigrated plus it had a warped neck and was becoming unplayable (regret selling it as I no know how it could have been fixed) The Walden was sold cos my ex objected saying we couldn't afford luxuries and my Ashton was sold cos I rarely played it and was going through a period when I didn't really play at all.

Right now I have:

1. 1987 Epiphone PR400 parlour size guitar which I keep at work, its a laminate top but you wouldn't know it if you heard it.

2. An Alhambra W-1 A a dreadnought acoustic, I have this as it sounds great for unplugged songs and Blues

3. A Cole Clark FL1AC dreadnought Acoustic Electric, same reasons as the Alhambra but I can play this with a band if required

4. A Takamine 12 string I just like the big 12 sound its also Acoustic Electric

5. A takamine Nylon string, I play this for Classical and Flamenco

6. A Johnson Chicago Blues Resonator I have this for open tuning and slide

7. An Epiphone Riviera Elite electric, great for electric blues

sws626

Wed Mar 09, 2011 1:02 pm

Dancer,

Are you suggesting I have too many guitars? Hmm...

I guess I have three or four, or maybe just two, depending on what you count as a guitar.

The one I play every day is a Martin 000-28EC. It's lovely.

I bought a Gibson ES-335 last summer and feel pretty much the same way Tony does about his Les Paul, but I haven't brought myself to sell.

Then I have a Lapstick short scale travel guitar, which has not realy grown on me and I'd part with easily.

And I have a 1/4 size acoustic guitar for my daughter, who plays it pretty regularly. She doesn't let me get near it.

I'd like a nylon string guitar, but am not seriously looking for one.

-Stuart

dennisg

Wed Mar 09, 2011 1:48 pm

I learned to play on a $20 Silvertone folk guitar my mother bought at Sears to keep me from becoming a juvenile delinquent. Mostly, she was successful.

My second guitar was a Guild D-25M dreadnought that I bought at a record store in Hollywood in 1975. I still have the guitar, and I keep it around for sentimental reasons.

I then quit playing for about 35 years, and when I resumed, I bought a maple Taylor 614 that I loved, but that didn't deliver quite the bottom end I was looking for, so I sold it to a good friend.

I replaced it with a Taylor 814, a beautiful rosewood guitar that's pretty much everything I could ever want sound-wise.

I also have a Taylor T3/B semi-hollowbody electric, which I rarely play. I'll probably end up selling it.

And a Yamaha Silent Guitar that I take with me every time I travel.

Every now and then I'm tempted to explore a 12-string guitar -- until I play one in a store and realize that I absolutely, positively cannot fingerpick those beasts.

I've been tempted to buy a Taylor baritone guitar, an instrument that's tuned down to B and delivers an incredible, low baritone voice, which is often where I'm more comfortable singing. If I gigged, I would definitely buy that guitar.

I'm also tempted to get a Taylor GS Mini, an inexpensive and easy-playing guitar that just blows my mind with the kind of sound it's capable of producing. I would keep it handy, on a stand, something I'd never do with my 814.

I also lust for a guitar made from cocobolo wood -- not because I need one, but just because the wood is so gorgeous and vibrant.

Music Junkie

Wed Mar 09, 2011 5:45 pm

Dancer:

I currently own 7.

Electric:
1. Tom Anderson Hollow Cobra S - Hollow body mahogany - my go to electric
2. Fender Strat - Black and white with a few mods - first guitar I ever owned
3. Epiphone - Les Paul STD - Sunburst - wasted purchase, so will probably sell it one of these days

Acoustic:
1. Martin 000-15 - wonderful strumming guitar - all mahogany and great mid-range
2. Martin Backpacker - fun on the trails in the Sierras, but lacking in tone quite a bit
3. Taylor - Baby Taylor - the ultimate campfire guitar - 3/4 size all mahogany with surprisingly good tone. Sounds almost like a full size w/capo 3
4. Taylor - 814ce - My mistress.....lol As Dennis can attest, it really does play well for strumming and fingerpicking. Such a smooth neck as well.

I often think about a 12-string, but there just are not any in left-handed models to pick up and play. I really hate buying without trying out, but as a lefty, ther is little other choice sometimes.....

J

thedancer

Wed Mar 09, 2011 5:51 pm

Hi Tovo, Neverfoundthetime, Catman, Michelew, Chasplay, sws626, Dennisg, Music junkie

As most of you now know from my previous thread that I have just purchased a Martin D-42 which I Love and adore. However, When I watch all you guys and gals play your guitars I think to myself that your guitars sound beautiful and I have realised that having one guitar, albeit a beautiful guitar, is not enough. I have just opened a new bank account specifically to save up and buy my next guitar/ guitars. I can see from your responses that I am not alone. That makes me feel good.

Thank you all for telling me about your guitars

Dancer

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic