Well I have a guitar (or 2) for every style, so too many to count:

Steelstring
Classical
Electric
Jazz/Blues
12-string
steel/slide-guitar
bassguitar

But I use my steelstring the most....would love another one for alternate tuning though..

And why? Because I'd like to play the right guitar for whatever song, something like that...but really, it took me a some time to get them all, it doesn't come over night..! ;)

Cheers

Vanessa

thedancer

Thu Mar 10, 2011 3:36 am

Hi rdaltry

I think the list of guitars that you mention seem to be very popular with the more advanced guitar players on TG. The Taylor 814ce is a guitar that I am going to take into consideration when I decide to get another guitar. I may even trade my martin one day for the Taylor 814ce because of the great things people at TG have said about it.

Dancer

thedancer

Thu Mar 10, 2011 3:38 am

Hi Vanessa

You are spot on Vanessa when you say that having the right guitar for the style of music you are playing is the Ideal solution... I think I will now be happy learning to play my martin steel string until I decide to learn another style of music.

Dancer

sws626

Thu Mar 10, 2011 4:59 am

thedancer wrote:
I may even trade my martin one day for the Taylor 814ce because of the great things people at TG have said about it.
Trade your Martin D-42 for a Taylor 814? I'm crushed. No, I don't want to re-open the whole Martin v. Taylor debate again; but, if you do decide to leave the fold, please let us know as I'm sure you'd find some takers for the Martin.

-Stuart

haoli25

Thu Mar 10, 2011 5:10 am

I agree with Stuart, hang on to that Martin! I have a Taylor 814ce and a Martin D-35e and I wouldn't part with either of them.
Someday, that 814ce will be a nice addition to have with the Martin D-42 you already own.

Bill

thedancer

Thu Mar 10, 2011 10:02 am

Hi sws626, haoli25

Good advice is advice that is taken.

Thanks guys for the very good advice. I am going to hang on to my Martin and get the Taylor 814ce when I save up for it.

Dancer

cavi

Wed May 04, 2011 6:01 pm

This is a tough subject. I personally have 16 guitars total of mine, and then another 3 between my kids. Here is the list and why.
Mine: 2 cordobas, one Koa, just beautiful and a collector piece, the other a 55, thinline, sounds great, and is a nice guitar to just play, and to take with me when I go somewhere.
2 handmade bolivian classicals, Ivan alandres. The first is a beautiful sounding full classical, solid rosewood sides, cedar top, this is by far the fullest sounding classical I own, but very thin wood top and sides, so I guard it with my life. I also own thin body by the same person, but it sucks so I just let my son take it to school.
One gianini guitar, this is the same type of guitar I had when I was a boy living in Brasil, I mainly just keep it as a keepsake, it had a rough life, and while it is playable it is not great, but it does sound wonderful, just does not feel as good as it sounds.
One Oscar Schmitt by Washburn. I bought this when I first came back to California just because i needed a classical guitar that was amplified. It sounded horrible, but plaied well, since it sounded bad it did not get plaied, but after a couple of years it now sounds quite good!!!! It now lives at my dental office to be plaied in between patients.
Steel string guitars:
Martin OCME Claro, collectors piece, one of 160 if i remember correctly. Great guitar as the neck is wide like my classicals.
Martin backpacker
Breedlove, this is one I rescued that was very badly cracked completly along the back and front, I bought it and repaired it.
Samik This was the first steel string I bought when I got back from Brazil. I would sell it but it is pristine and not worth alot and sounds good.
Electrics:
I own a Epihone Les Paul plus top Korean made that I rescued and restored, great guitar
I own 5 other electrics that I built

The reality is i mainly play the classicals, but I love to build electrics and somedays i just like to have a steel string.........

dan5619

Sun May 22, 2011 1:35 pm

I have 4 acoustic guitars. A Martin D-28 Marquis, A Giibson Dove, A Special Addition Gibson AJ-45, and a 1914 Gibson L-3 (bought new buy my Great Uncle). I keep the Martin D-28 Marquis in Standard Tuning and this guitar is the workhorse of my small collection. I keep the Guibson Dove in Open D Tuning and have it ready when I switch to play some great Blues Songs. I keep the Special Addition Gibson AJ-45 in the case and only play it on special occasions. It is a fine sounding and playing guitar, just want to keep it in mint condition. My 1914 Gibson L-3 is not played anymore. I keep in the orginal case, with a photo of my uncle holding it, right after he had purchased it at age 16 in Colorado. I keep the strings just tight enough to keep them from being to loose. This one is really special to me and is a family heirloom. All my guitars (with the exception of the Gibson L-3) play great, sound great, and I am very satisfied with them. The Gibson Dove is the most durable due to the maple back and sides. It is a slight bit heavier than my Martin D-28 Marquis. But, you could use it to defend yourself and I think it would come out OK! :-) - Dan

AndyT

Sun May 22, 2011 3:01 pm

I HAD 3, now only 2.
I gave my Esteban to my granddaughter for Christmas. She likes to play and only had a cheapo toy axe. I had done some work to the Esteban and it plays pretty well now. She loves it.

I still have Gracie, my goto girl. Takamine Dred.
And then my Epi SG Special.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic