The possibilities are endless!

ffsooo3

Wed Mar 09, 2011 9:31 am

For any of you techno-geeks out there I thought you might find this interesting…..

I’ve cobbled together a pseudo midi guitar using an audio editor MarkM told me about. These are real-time sounds (not after the fact sounds from an audio editor). Sure makes practicing scales more enjoyable.

The possibilities are endless!

Hydroman52

Wed Mar 09, 2011 12:03 pm

That's very cool! Playing cello on your guitar in real time. Perhaps a cellist could play guitar on their cello? Okay, I'll bite . . . . . . how is this done? Added to the green screen technology, you could construct quartet or an entire orchestra of yourself playing Mozart on guitar. Or how about just playing Eleanor Rigby?

[video][/video]

You are right, Daryl, endless possibilities. Of course, you will probably always get the purists that say a guitar should only be used as a guitar.

Hydroman52

neverfoundthetime

Wed Mar 09, 2011 12:20 pm

Sounds like fun Daryl... so spill the beans... what's the programme and how does it work... and is if free ;-)?

PS: I don't believe Paul McCartney was ever that baby faced!!

ffsooo3

Wed Mar 09, 2011 1:11 pm

Yes of course it's free (sort of). The audio editor (like Audacity) is called Reaper. MarkM told me about it. Reaper is way more powerful than Audacity. The gist of making the pseudo midi guitar is as follows:

- Create an audio track for the guitar
- Add a real-time auto-tune effect (called ReaTune) to your guitar track. This effect will not only pitch correct in real-time (for those who have a hard time carrying the tune - like me) but will also "send midi event when pitch changes"
- Then "send" the midi event to another track where you have a VSTi (virtual instrument) installed like a viola or cello.

That's it in a nutshell. If anyone wants detailed instructions PM me.

dennisg

Wed Mar 09, 2011 2:35 pm

Oh gosh, that really ís cool and a lot of fun as well!!

MarkM

Wed Mar 09, 2011 11:31 pm

Daryl that was just too cool. I havn't check into all the effects that Reaper can do yet but just by showing what you did inspires me to check it out more when I have time.

MarkM

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic