Let's talk about Country

tovo

Thu Mar 10, 2011 6:38 pm

I'm hoping for a bit of an education, and along the way maybe others will learn something as well.

I must say my thread was prompted by a comment on an unrelated thread about "real country" as opposed to the "suburban Pop".

I'm genuinely interested in Country music in the USA. I know that in parts it is hugely popular, artists who have been generally well known in my country include Johnny Cash, Glen Campbell and similar. In more recent years Garth Brooks was popular here, as well as our own Keith Urban.

I suspect though that certainly Garth and Keith fall into that "Suburban Pop" category?

I personally am aware of Waylon Jennings who I actually listened to quite a bit and he was quite a favourite of mine. I think he missed the plane that crashed and killed Buddy Holly? Is that true? i guess I could Google.

Anyway, who are the "real" country artists? What is the origin of "Bluegrass"? Is THAT real country?

In summary, it's a genre I know almost nothing about, and I would be keen to hear something about the history and directions of country music.

buddy

Thu Mar 10, 2011 7:43 pm

Howdy Tony,

Neat thread. I see five different style of American country as follows;

Bluegrass
old country Western ballads
Pop Country
Southern Gospel
Country Folk

Each one presents a different perspective on American life from the working man and the pioneer. Bluegrass can be very intricate and people either love or hate it. Pop country has really diluted the style bit this is where the current money is so the artist have gone this way.

I grew up with country music as a cowboy ( you meet a lot pretty cowgirls working with horses) so I am very fond of it. It is not for everybody but the styles can be very diverse and really a lot of fun to play if you want to expand into a different style of music.

That's my two cents,

Bud

Max

Thu Mar 10, 2011 7:56 pm

OK...I'm not going to take on the the "Suburban Pop" issue, but I'm gonna guess no country artist wants that title.
Here are a few "Newer Country Artists".

As for new female country artist:
Miranda Lambert... just won song of the year at the Grammy's.
Sugarland... is a dou that has been around for a while and has won grammys in the past. Female lead singer, that's why I put them here.
Carrie Underwood... American Idol winner a few years back.

Country male artist:
Alan Jackson... he's been around for a long time because he has a great voice.
Keith Urban... married to Nicole Kidman.
Toby Keith... I don't remember if he won, but he was also nominated for a Grammy.

Country Group...
Lady Antebellum... just won Record of the year & Album of the year at the Grammys for "Need You Now".
Zac Brown Band... plays a nylon string guitar.
Little Big Town... I think they are the opening act for "Sugarland".

Now for "Bluegrass", it has its root from the Appalachian Region of the USA, and was brought there by Scottish, and African immigrants. I believe it's more closely related to Blues & Jazz than Country.
That's my take on it, not 100% sure if I'm right.

Max

PS. Just noticed that this thread was next to a thread about the "Soggy Bottom Boys", a great country band that created much of the music for the movie "Brother Where Art Thou"

sws626

Fri Mar 11, 2011 2:59 am

Hey Tony,

Great question. I don't know exactly where suburban pop fits, but I've always thought there were basically three sub-genres of country music: hillbilly, cowboy, and trailer. I'd be surprised if anyone could define a clean boundary between "real" and "pop." All the artists you've mentioned are great, but I'm sure there are people who would argue that each of them had crossed over into something else.

-Stuart

tovo

Fri Mar 11, 2011 4:34 am

I really appreciate those answers so far. I wouldn't say I'm a huge country fan at all, but some favourites of mine sure fall in that category. My sister and I love the tune "Galveston" by Glen Campbell that's for sure. I've learned that Bluegrass is a country style which I thought was the case and Max has listed a heap of artists I have never heard of. What is "Trailer"??

Does anyone else shake their head at just how many artists and bands are out there that you have never even heard of? I always thought I was "into" music, but even just here at TG there are constantly bands being discussed or covered that I know zero about.

sws626

Fri Mar 11, 2011 6:03 am

tovo wrote:
I really appreciate those answers so far. I wouldn't say I'm a huge country fan at all, but some favourites of mine sure fall in that category. My sister and I love the tune "Galveston" by Glen Campbell that's for sure. I've learned that Bluegrass is a country style which I thought was the case and Max has listed a heap of artists I have never heard of. What is "Trailer"??

Does anyone else shake their head at just how many artists and bands are out there that you have never even heard of? I always thought I was "into" music, but even just here at TG there are constantly bands being discussed or covered that I know zero about.
Glen Campbell is fantastic, Tony, and I also love "Galveston."

"Trailer" as in "trailer trash." Hope that doesn't offend anyone. Lucinda Williams is an artist I admire and would put in that category without suggesting any disrespect. The Cowboy Junkies would probably also fit, despite their name, though I'm sure purists would rate them as "pop." From my warped perspective, trailer music is the most interesting sub-genre, where you find slide guitars, plenty of substance abuse, and everyting about broken hearts and wrecked lives. Cowboy music is mostly just about nature -- how boring. And hillbilly music is anything with a banjo or a fiddle in it, so basically unbearable.

I defintely agree with you Tony. One of the most interesting things about the forum is exposure to music I wouldn't have known about otherwise.

-Stuart

tovo

Fri Mar 11, 2011 6:15 am

Great info Stuart thanks. And thanks for explaining the trailer style. I guess a lot of rap came from that socioeconomic group also. I'd like to hear some other opinions. Some healthy discussion would be a great way to learn more about this genre.

ffsooo3

Fri Mar 11, 2011 7:34 am

Could anyone tell me if and where Willie Nelson fits in here? Is he country? Something else?

boldent

Fri Mar 11, 2011 8:01 am

I'm sure its due to my age but when I think of country music, I place of Hank Williams Sr, George Jones, Tammy Wynette, Conway Twitty, Loretta Lynn, Merle Haggard and Barbara Mandrell at the top of that (true country sound) list. To me, Jonny Cash, Willy Nelson, Glen Cambell and Hank Williams Jr, were more of a rock-a-billy style.

wiley

Fri Mar 11, 2011 8:13 am

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic