Let's talk about Country

wiley

Fri Mar 11, 2011 8:20 am

suziko

Fri Mar 11, 2011 8:50 am

Wiki has a good entry on Country Music. It helped me to see why it's hard to easily and quickly answer the question, What is Country music?:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Country_music

Music Junkie

Fri Mar 11, 2011 10:22 am

Tony:

I grew up listening to what was just called "Country" back in the 70's. Artists like Glenn Campbell, Loretta Lynn, George Jones, Willie Nelson, Waylon Jennings, Merle Haggard, etc. These days, it seems mainstream country is more like the soft rock of the 70's. Very commercial. Some good, some bad. I like Wiley's comment - "Genres, what are those?".... :) I know a lot of folks hear the word country and go into a tirade about how awful country music is, but I like all kinds of music and can usually find something I like in most categories (with the exception of gangster rap and such).

For me, there are many talented artists out there in the "Country" genre. Maybe not talented in the musical sense, but good singers/performers. Really depends on what you mean.

I liked Garth Brooks in the 90's , but got worn out on him after extreme exposure.... Other artists I admire are:

George Strait - over 50 number one hits (none of which were written by him..... kind of a standard in the country scene)
Alan Jackson
Toby Keith
Waylon Jennings
Glenn Campbell - Gentle on My Mind is a great old song
Alabama - had many hits in the 70's/80's
John Conlee
Earl Thomas Conley
Willie Nelson
Sawyer Brown
Keith Whitley - I'm No Stranger to the Rain is my favorite
Don Williams - Good Ol' Boys Like Me is an outstanding tune

There are many more, but these are some that I still enjoy.

J

boldent

Fri Mar 11, 2011 12:16 pm

Music Junkie:

You hit the nail on the head. With that, I can't believe I forgot to add George Strait and Don Williams to my list. I even have George's box set.

I may stand alone on this one but, I really like today's country female singers. Some of them are bringing back that ole country southern draw that I like. That maybe because I'm from the south and its part of my culture.

During the fall season (here in the south) just about every town has a festival of some type going on. Most of the time Blue Grass is the main music that the bands are playing. As a kid I couldn't stand Blue Grass but as an adult I love to see and hear it played live. Maybe its because I understand how hard it is to play.

Since I've been name dropping I might as well throw one more out there. When I think of Blue Grass I think of Ricky Scaggs at the top of that list.

Music Junkie

Fri Mar 11, 2011 12:39 pm

boldent wrote:
Music Junkie:

You hit the nail on the head. With that, I can't believe I forgot to add George Strait and Don Williams to my list. I even have George's box set.

I may stand alone on this one but, I really like today's country female singers. Some of them are bringing back that ole country southern draw that I like. That maybe because I'm from the south and its part of my culture.

During the fall season (here in the south) just about every town has a festival of some type going on. Most of the time Blue Grass is the main music that the bands are playing. As a kid I couldn't stand Blue Grass but as an adult I love to see and hear it played live. Maybe its because I understand how hard it is to play.

Since I've been name dropping I might as well throw one more out there. When I think of Blue Grass I think of Ricky Scaggs at the top of that list.
Ditto. I could not stand bluegrass ad a kid. Still don't REALLY enjoy it, unless it is LIVE...... After taking up the guitar, I have really garnered a huge appreciation for many types of music I used to dismiss quite readily. Once you understand the work that goes into playing a piece of music, it is much easier to appreciate. As far as the women of Country music these days, many of them are very easy on the eyes as well...... B) B)

J

tovo

Fri Mar 11, 2011 2:13 pm

Some great info, thank you all. Wiley you can always be counted on for a very thorough answer. If you know all that off the top of your head man that is impressive! (not that I appreciate it less if you researched).

Sounds like the "manufactured" artist isn't limited to pop and American Idol.

unclewalt

Fri Mar 11, 2011 10:57 pm

Jon Langford, of The Mekons and the Waco Brothers, has something to say on the subject.

Here, Langford expands on his thoughts a bit:

Another of my favorite country artists, Robbie Fulks, weighs in (definitely NOT safe for work, and not recommended for anyone with delicate sensibilities:

And South Park has some input as well.

unclewalt

Fri Mar 11, 2011 11:57 pm

And, what the hell, here's some more stuff that some people might not know.

The Louvins -- best, and scariest, harmony duo ever

The inimitable Stanley Brothers"

Before Tupelo, there was Jason and The Scorchers:

Townes:

What can be said? Keef, Willie:

Whenever those record-company-concocted hat-act guys, like Toby Keith, try to act all bad-ass, it makes me want to introduce them to Steve Earle:

Old 97s, first album:

16 Horsepower. They will scare you with Jesus:

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic