"Performers" playing Takamine, Taylor, Martin

kpenhorwood

Fri Mar 25, 2011 8:45 am

Okay so recently when I went to purchase my new guitar I went on all the websites to do research and each website listed "performers" that play their guitars. I noticed that Takamine seemed to have the most listed, next came Taylor and then Martin. Do you think this is because the performers actually prefer those makers they are playing better OR is it just because Takamine and Taylor will "sponsor" more performers? I was just kind of curious....

I ended up buying a Martin, but would love to get a Taylor and play a Takamine....my store didn't have many Takamines.

Kevin

tovo

Fri Mar 25, 2011 3:23 pm

Pretty interesting question Kevin. There are some real Taylor experts here, but from the reading I have done about the early years of Taylor they took a very different approach with promoting their guitars. For example, their advertising at the time was focused on making "everyday" players the focus. It was the practice at the time to use well known performers to promote guitars, but Taylor's advertising was all focused on average people, and it was very successful. I know they won some awards for those campaigns.

Taylor has 'signature' artists but to the best of my knowledge they don't pay artists to play/promote their guitars.

Chasplaya

Fri Mar 25, 2011 4:04 pm

Very interesting, typical marketing ploy though get leading artists to play your instrument. I don't get paid for plugging Cole Clark's but Brad Clark did offer me a 12 string at cost once does that count?

neverfoundthetime

Fri Mar 25, 2011 7:20 pm

As a Takamine player I can tell you I've been really happy with mine, Kevin. But you're right on the money with a Martin and my 12 string Tak is a Martin copy really. As for endorsements, I reckon it's like in tennis, the top players get sponsored to play the rackets. I'm not a top player but as a coach I have been with HEAD for 20 years and never had to pay for a racket. I wish I could get my guitars like that but I guess its not going to happen in this life time ;-). I'd sign up with BSG if they'd have me :-).

kpenhorwood

Sat Mar 26, 2011 12:55 pm

Yeah, I would love to be sponsored from one of these companies as well....but that will never happen. :laugh:

I was just curious as to how much sponsorship happens and if there are companies ( ie Martin) that really don't need to have people promote their guitars anymore because they already have a great reputation. Takamine just seemed to list a lot of "performers" on their website as did Taylor I wan't sure if that was due to sponsorship or if those artists really prefer those makers. Interesting to think about I guess.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic