Plek

sws626

Mon Mar 28, 2011 5:56 pm

A while back, Michele posted a video of this Plek machine system. I got interested, did a bit of research, and found a luthier in London (Chandler's) who has been using them for a while. Neither of my guitars had ever been properly set up and the Martin has been buzzing above the 9th fret for a while, so I decided to take them in. It's not a "do it while you wait" sort of affair and I didn't bring my camera (and, frankly, I don't think I would have wanted to watch my own guitars being put into the machine), but I'll let you know how they turn out when I get them back next week and, if anyone's interested, may take a visit down to the shop to shoot a video of how it's done and how the luthier and the machine work together.

-Stuart

[video][/video]

The audio is in Italian, but there are English subtitles, if you press the "CC" button.

thedancer

Tue Mar 29, 2011 1:33 am

Hi Stuart

I live about 45 minutes away from Chandler's and I am going to make time to visit them this week.

I will keep you posted

Dancer

thedancer

Wed Mar 30, 2011 2:17 am

Hi Stuart

I had an over whelming desire to put my guitar into chandlers for the plek set up so swung past there yesterday . I get my guitar back on the 5th April.

Dancer

sws626

Wed Mar 30, 2011 3:56 pm

Got a call from Charlie Chandler this afternoon. The work is done and the guitars are coming back a day early tomorrow. The Martin apparently required a fair amount of work and we ended up deciding to replace the saddle, which was -- oddly -- too low. I cannot wait to get my hands on them again.

-Stuart

thedancer

Wed Mar 30, 2011 5:06 pm

Hi Stuart

I can’t wait to hear your opinion on the work done. I completely understand your need and desire to hold and play your guitars again because I am feeling exactly the same way.

Dancer

thereshopeyet

Wed Mar 30, 2011 6:20 pm

Thanks

thereshopeyet

Wed Mar 30, 2011 6:45 pm

Thanks

mark

Wed Mar 30, 2011 11:12 pm

You're a brave man!

I wouldn't risk my guitars to a machine.

I'm interested in the results you get.
Are you given any options for the type of setup you want?

sws626

Thu Mar 31, 2011 2:31 am

Hi Mark,

Yeah, the noises are pretty scary. I had a nightmare about the machine malfunctioning and I opened the case to find a pile of kindling. Seriously, though, it's really just a precision measurement tool and cutter for frets and nuts and pretty useless if not in the hands of a good luthier. We had a long interview about playing style and past issues before it went under the knife, just as you would with any luthier prior to a setup and fret dressing.

Chandler's been using the Plek tool for about eight years and, according to the website, at least, I'm not the first to let them put a guitar into the machine:

"We have done repair work for David Gilmour, Pete Townsend, Chris Rea, Elvis Costello, Pat Metheny, Metallica, U2, Prince, DavidBowie, Gary Moore, Angus Young, Scott Gorham, Stereophonics, Blur, Jon BonJovi, ZZTop, Ash, Eric Clapton, Beastie Boyz, Bush, James Taylor, Jackson Browne, Mike Oldfield, Hank Marvin, Bryan Adams, Terry Britten, Jeff Beck, Steven Street, Paul McCartney and many more."

But the proof will be in the playing and I'll know soon since the guitars are due to be returned later today. When I get some time, I may go down and do a video interview with them for the site.

There are also Plek machines at Brawer's in San Francisco, Mike Lull's in Bellevue, The Music Gallery in Highland Park (Chicago suburb), Peekamoose in NYC, and Westwood in LA, if anyone is interested. The cost at Chandler's was GBP 140.

-- The van is pulling into the drive now, so I'm sure I'll have more to report soon.

-Stuart

thedancer

Thu Mar 31, 2011 3:09 am

Hi Stuart

So what is the verdict?

Dancer

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic