Harmonica - is it worth the time?

willem

Thu Apr 14, 2011 5:56 am

Sometimes you wanna give your 2cents but the language makes it kinda difficult,,but then the TUBE can help,, i wanna introduce you to a great fellow Erik Johnson that gives on the tube a 30 day course on bleus harp playing,,the first 10 vids are the basics(that were i am on the moment),,i fond it so great that i Must share it with those who are intrested,,below is the 10th vid,,the others you find on the tube,

Erik!! if you are here too i must tell you you are great and thank you very much...

kearnshaw

Sun Dec 04, 2011 6:32 pm

Neil and others, if I am plaiying wreck of the edmund fitzgerald without a capo and want to incorpoate harmonica in the intro, what key harmonica would I need? Thanks!

willem

Mon Dec 05, 2011 6:08 am

kearnshaw wrote:
Neil and others, if I am plaiying wreck of the edmund fitzgerald without a capo and want to incorpoate harmonica in the intro, what key harmonica would I need? Thanks!

which chords are you playing without the capo..the whole progression i mean

Music Junkie

Sat Jul 28, 2012 11:59 pm

Well, I finally took the plunge..... :unsure:

I was at my local music store the other day and they had just received some new Harmonica sets. I had been looking around on the net and just happened to go by the store to see what brands and styles they had in. I found all sorts of Harmonicas on the web, and found that Hohner and Lee Oskar were a couple of the brands that were decent. Anyway, they had a set of Hohner Blues Bender harmonicas there that they offered me a good deal on (not a top of the line harmonica, but a decent entry level from what I gathered). It came with 5 harmonicas (diatonic in the keys of A, C, D, E and G. I found this set online for prices ranging from $79US to $119US. I received a pretty good deal in my mind, so I took it. I ran home and gave them a go. I have to say, that compared to trying the little cheapo models I tried as a kid, this was kind of neat, and fun. They are very easy to play (or rather to make noise with....lol). I found a harmonica tab to Heart of Gold and am trying to learn how to play the darn things.... In the short amount of time that I have been messing with them, I would recommend that anyone interested should give it a go. It is a cool instrument, that is proving to be a bit challenging, but very enjoyable for the price point.... :) :)

haoli25

Sun Jul 29, 2012 1:07 am

Music Junkie wrote:

I was at my local music store the other day and they had just received some new Harmonica sets. I had been looking around on the net and just happened to go by the store to see what brands and styles they had in. I found all sorts of Harmonicas on the web, and found that Hohner and Lee Oskar were a couple of the brands that were decent. Anyway, they had a set of Hohner Blues Bender harmonicas there that they offered me a good deal on (not a top of the line harmonica, but a decent entry level from what I gathered). It came with 5 harmonicas (diatonic in the keys of A, C, D, E and G. I found this set online for prices ranging from $79US to $119US. I received a pretty good deal in my mind, so I took it. I ran home and gave them a go. I have to say, that compared to trying the little cheapo models I tried as a kid, this was kind of neat, and fun. They are very easy to play (or rather to make noise with....lol). I found a harmonica tab to Heart of Gold and am trying to learn how to play the darn things.... In the short amount of time that I have been messing with them, I would recommend that anyone interested should give it a go. It is a cool instrument, that is proving to be a bit challenging, but very enjoyable for the price point.... :) :)

Very cool, Jason. Good luck with "Heart Of Gold". I'll bet those 'left-handed' harmonicas are particularly hard to find. :laugh: :silly: :laugh:

daryl

Sun Jul 29, 2012 5:59 am

haoli25 wrote:
Music Junkie wrote:

Very cool, Jason. Good luck with "Heart Of Gold". I'll bet those 'left-handed' harmonicas are particularly hard to find. :laugh: :silly: :laugh:
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Music Junkie

Sun Jul 29, 2012 10:05 am

Lol Bill............... :laugh: :laugh:

Like the Guitars for left handers, the harmonica is another instrument you cannot test drive..... for obvious reasons..... ;)

So far, the right-hand, left-hand issue is going smoothly. However, it took me forever to unzip the case, because they put them in a right-handed case. Once I got them open, i had to mess around a bit to get them flipped around and turned upside down to get them to play for me.... darn left handed blowing.... :woohoo:

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic