Beginner? Intermediate? Advanced? What gives?

michelew

Sat Apr 09, 2011 9:14 pm

Haha, you'll be fine Shel, you're very disciplined in general when it comes down to guitarplaying/practising, just have fun doing so!! ;) :P

michelew wrote:
Well if Ness isn't advanced...I'm a monkey's uncle and will give up right now on any idea that I will EVER be able to call myself advanced. Not that I think there's any chance of that happening in this life time.

I think I'm with Bear on this one.

michelew

Sat Apr 09, 2011 9:17 pm

nesh16041972 wrote:
Haha, you'll be fine Shel, you're very disciplined in general when it comes down to guitarplaying/practising, just have fun doing so!! ;) :P

michelew wrote:
Well if Ness isn't advanced...I'm a monkey's uncle and will give up right now on any idea that I will EVER be able to call myself advanced. Not that I think there's any chance of that happening in this life time.

I think I'm with Bear on this one.
Thanks. Ness.

Fine is good.

Fun...hmmmm... must try that a little more. Good idea.

tovo

Sat Apr 09, 2011 9:24 pm

I agree with you Michele, I would think Ness fits that advanced category. I reckon another factor must be the speed with which a player can pick up a new tune.

Andy wrote: "I'd bet that if you ask Neil where he rates himself, he's place himself as an advanced Intermediate. The more you know, the more you know how much you don't know".

I agree with the sentiment...but man if Neil isn't advanced then they may as well ditch the term man! I would be very surprised if he didn't agree that he is always learning something...but surely he is an advanced player?

Perhaps we could hear from the man himself on the topic of how good he is?! :P

thereshopeyet

Sat Apr 09, 2011 9:34 pm

Thanks

sws626

Sun Apr 10, 2011 3:50 am

Hi Tony,

I found your comparison to fluency in a foreign language very apt. From a very young age, I studied German. And while I learned a lot, understood its grammar much better than I did my own language, and could read almost anything I wanted, at 25 I'd never been to a German-speaking country and could not hold a conversation or really even form a sentence. I knew this to be true, but it wasn't until I went to live there that I came to grips with the "performance" of the language. Skip forward ten or twelve or twenty-some-odd years and I wouldn't hesitate to call myself fluent. I'm certain this process of becoming fluent had nothing to do with natural ability (I've tried in vain to learn other languages), but everything to do with the preparation that lay dormant and the trauma of being thrust upon the stage, so to speak.

Playing the guitar has a lot in common with learning a language -- so much that the more I think about it the more uncomfortable I would be with a one-dimensional scale from Beginner through Intermediate to Advanced. I know I'm not a "Beginner" anymore. And every day I hear people play who are much more "Advanced" than I will be any time soon. But "Intermediate" hardly captures any of what we're all wrestling through in between.

-Stuart

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic