Natural talent or just hard work?

tovo

Sat Apr 09, 2011 4:06 pm

Somewhere...on the vast landscape of the internet...another prominent teacher made a video specifically to state that there is categorically no such thing as natural talent when it comes to guitar playing. He says ALL ability is learned.

I don't know about that one. In fact I'm almost certain I disagree. I mean, I admire and value hard work above many other human traits....but I think some people are born with a natural talent or aptitude for music or sport or whatever.

Anyone care to comment?

Lavallee

Sat Apr 09, 2011 4:21 pm

Good question Tony, Rather than natural talent for a specific activity, It might be the ease to learn the specific of that activity is easier for some than others. There is also that some people are hungrier than other to learn something, add this to the ease of assimilation of that field and you got a natural talent.

Marc

tovo

Sat Apr 09, 2011 4:48 pm

That makes a lot of sense Marc. I mean, we term it natural talent. But your theory that some are simply better at learning than others makes good sense.

Chasplaya

Sat Apr 09, 2011 6:34 pm

Its in the genes! I believe some people have the genes for natural talent but that unless sufficient exposure is given that talent becomes latent. So the question is ... Is exposure providing learning I think it is A definition of learning is...

'The acquisition of knowledge or skills through experience, practice, or study, or by being taught'.

neverfoundthetime

Sat Apr 09, 2011 7:09 pm

You're on a roll again Tony, way to go! :cheer:

.....well I think you can come a long way with just hard work..it can take a while though, but you can get there...with natural talent combined with hard work you can become very véry good....but júst natural talent won't work at all if you don't work hard. Then again hard work will pay off eventually sooner or later......I'm sorry it's late, the words aren't coming out that easily... :S

As for myself....I was blessed to be exposed with music and playing the guitar as long as I can remember....I remember my father showing me chords and a strum and it clicked and I just got it. However after that, my father agreed to buy us (for me and my sister) guitars as long as we promised to practise...so I hád to practise, since I promised.....so, yes I guess I had natural talent, both my parents were into music very much so, combined with the ability to learn fast, but I had to work hard to réally get anywhere....that is beyond strumming a few chords. However, it gave me a véry solid foundation and I wish I had kept practising as much as I did as a young child, I would have been a much better player than I am today. It's still not too late though, haha! :P

Alright, conclusion: Hard work will pay off sooner or later, just natural talent isn't enough eventually...but combined with hard work, it will make you a very véry good guitarplayer in no time...

Cheers

Ness

tovo

Sat Apr 09, 2011 8:45 pm

nesh16041972 wrote:
You're on a roll again Tony, way to go! :cheer:

.....well I think you can come a long way with just hard work..it can take a while though, but you can get there...with natural talent combined with hard work you can become very véry good....but júst natural talent won't work at all if you don't work hard. Then again hard work will pay off eventually sooner or later......I'm sorry it's late, the words aren't coming out that easily... :S

As for myself....I was blessed to be exposed with music and playing the guitar as long as I can remember....I remember my father showing me chords and a strum and it clicked and I just got it. However after that, my father agreed to buy us (for me and my sister) guitars as long as we promised to practise...so I hád to practise, since I promised.....so, yes I guess I had natural talent, both my parents were into music very much so, combined with the ability to learn fast, but I had to work hard to réally get anywhere....that is beyond strumming a few chords. However, it gave me a véry solid foundation and I wish I had kept practising as much as I did as a young child, I would have been a much better player than I am today. It's still not too late though, haha! :P

Alright, conclusion: Hard work will pay off sooner or later, just natural talent isn't enough eventually...but combined with hard work, it will make you a very véry good guitarplayer in no time...

Cheers

Ness
Ness your words came out just fine! I pretty much agree with all you said. This guy was arguing that 'natural talent' simply doesn't exist. Everything is learned. It just doesn't wash with me although I agree that if it's a choice between someone who is talented and lazy and someone who is less talented but works their butt off to improve...I'll take the 2nd person any day of the week and twice on Sunday.

thereshopeyet

Sat Apr 09, 2011 9:03 pm

Thanks

michelew

Sat Apr 09, 2011 9:15 pm

My father is tone deaf. He can't hold a tune to save his life. It wouldn't matter how much he played and practiced and learned, he would always struggle with playing an instrument. Though percussion might work OK to some extent I guess.

So people - probably my father included, struggle with rhythm.

These things are essential to playing the guitar well. So my guess is that these sorts of skills/talents, which are lacking in some people, must be pronounced in others. Perfect pitch is probably a good example.

I'm guessing there are other characteristics like being adventurous, fearless, creative in general, just curiosity about how it all fits together that also really help motivate people and make them better musicians when they apply themselves a little. Some people seem to have this stuff in abundance. I would say that those characteristics do make up part of what some call 'natural talent'. In my experience, people that have those sorts of attributes are good at lots of things, talented at lots of things. I think it helps them to get where they want to go faster than those of us that need to slog away harder.

My 2 cents.

M.

tovo

Sat Apr 09, 2011 9:20 pm

Dermot the self taught thing is interesting I think. I agree with you, we are not self taught, we have Neil's lessons of course but also the collective wisdom and help from friends here on TG. When I tell people I learn purely on line they always act surprised. I don't think the power of the internet as a medium for teaching is fully recognised yet.

Michele...thanks for your 2 cents worth...I actually reckon your post was much more valuable than that! ;)

AndyT

Sat Apr 09, 2011 10:15 pm

You can read all the info there is on a subject but still not have any idea of how it really works. You have to actually get into it and do it. Only buy doing it will you get the understanding of it. In that sense, we are all self-taught.

I think that natural talent is a combination of different things that we all have in greater or lesser degree. Maybe Tony loves to paint. He's been doing it since he was 5 and has developed a style of his own and it flows easily from him to the canvas. Rick on the other hand can't paint his finger with a 6 inch wide brush. He has no interest in painting and it shows. If you spend time doing something, especially at a younger age, then you will find it much easier later in life because the various concepts will not be alien to you.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic