Tip to help keep stands from tipping over

Hydroman52

Mon Apr 11, 2011 8:51 pm

Hey everyone,

Just thought I’d share this thing that I do to help keep my gear mostly in one piece. When they were dishing out enthusiasm, my dog got an extra helping and , consequently, he’s not too concerned with being careful about where he throws his weight around (I swear he was a stick of dynamite with a short fuse in a prior lifetime). I know it isn’t a new idea to add weight to the base of a mic stand to keep it stable, but here is a good idea that works for me.

Weights on stand legs

More weights on stand legs

Even more weights on stand legs

Use ankle/wrist weights on the legs of your mic and guitar stands. They are neat, not terribly unattractive, and easy to apply. I use the kind with the seam down the length so they fit handily on the legs of the stand. I prefer the 5 pounders (the Bell brand in the photos), but 2 pounders (TKO brand in the photos) seem to work okay, too. They have a Velcro strap and you can secure them so they don’t get kicked off. This isn’t the total solution, but it has already saved a few tip-overs at my place. I do prefer the heavier ones.

Of course, they only come in pairs, so you have to buy at least two pair to secure one stand (unless you have the two legged stands). Sometimes, you can find them on ebay really cheap, but I’ve just bought a bunch of TKOs on Amazon for $8.00 per pair for the 2-pounders and $14.00 per pair for the 5-pounders all with free shipping for orders over $25.00. Sometimes I’ve spent more on these than I have on the stand, but I figure this is added insurance to help keep the gear intact. Of course, if you don’t have any kids, or animals, or clumsy friends around . . . . then there’s no need for this.

Oh, that’s my dog in the photos. You can see he is all bummed out, because, once again, I’ve foiled his plans to wreck my stuff.

Hope this helps,
Hydroman52

dennisg

Tue Apr 12, 2011 9:21 am

Good idea. Those goose-neck mic stands have such a narrow base that they'll tip over just from the weight of the mic.

Chasplaya

Tue Apr 12, 2011 1:37 pm

Good idea Hydro, I don't normally allow my dogs anywhere near the guitar room, but the other day they decided to have a fight in the conservatory next to the room, the fight spilled over into the room and my Wife watched helplessly as they got very close to a guitar stand holding 3 guitars !!! So no amount of weight would have helped there. 4 of my guitars hang on the wall and are quite safe but I have this floor stand to place the ones currently in use. I may have to rethink that or invest in outdoor dog-runs. I might try your idea though for the mic stands though, my Wife will get all excited if I order them she'll think I'm thinking about getting fit lol.

neverfoundthetime

Tue Apr 12, 2011 1:44 pm

Chas, that was 4999 ... now go and press the button ;-)!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic