Rock and Roll Heaven - The biggest loss?

tovo

Fri Apr 15, 2011 8:16 pm

I think John Lennon was THE loss because of his enormous talent and the totally senseless nature of his passing.

I would have liked some more time with Jeff Buckley as well and Jim Morrison's talent was too big to waste...yet he did.

Lavallee

Fri Apr 15, 2011 8:46 pm

I agree with the above names . I would like to add John Bonham , drummer of Led Zeppelin. After his death, the group has disbanded. Definitely one of the most prolific group ever. Some might say that they decided not to find another drummer because they wanted to be remembered while at the top. But if you are a Zep fan, the group would not have been the same without his beat and explosive drum sound.

Marc

BigBear

Sat Apr 16, 2011 12:20 am

You guys hit most of the highlights but I'd add Rick Wright, keyboardist for Pink Floyd and Nick Drake., a very talented, tormented, rising talent. Also, the greatest bass player of all time John Entwistle of the Who.

And Townes Van Sant, Sandy Denny, and Bobby Hatfield of the Righteous Brothers.

But my favorite dead person may have to be Satchmo aka Louis Armstrong, even if he didn't play the guitar! :cheer:

willem

Sat Apr 16, 2011 3:39 am

nesh16041972 wrote:
ELVIS, ELVIS, ELVIS, ELVIS, ELVIS!!!!

Did I already mention ELVIS??! :P

My god, he was só beautiful back then!!! :woohoo:

Edit: I forgot to say why.....hard to say, but to me, and I'm very sure to lots and lots of other people, he was thé entertainer, his performances were so very ........full of energy (my english is failing here :( ), he was just so very charismatic, and his way of reacting to music was just very unique, he influenced music so much....even John Lennon said, 'before Elvis, there was nothing'.............oh hell, I can't describe it, sorry! :S

Yes Vanessa,you convince me,,,seeing the video's you sent you convince me and i know now that i missed something in my live,,like the beatles i discovered now Elvis too,so for me he can come back,,, a friend(girl) of my is going to be 50 soon and she is a huge fan too,,so i have to learn a view songs to make that day her day and you know the habit here to sing a song with our own lyrics related to the persons life and that must be a Elvis tune and i like his bleus/rock strummings..

AndyT

Sat Apr 16, 2011 3:40 am

I have two and can't decide between them.
King David of Jerusalem, and George Harrison.

David because I would love to experience the music from back then and his level of devotion.

George because he had a way of seeing things in music that others missed. A bit off at times, but amazing in his understanding of how music works.

BobR

Sat Apr 16, 2011 8:50 am

Oh my gosh, Willem, where have you been hiding :ohmy: ?? Never too late to discover music right?! :P

Very glad to have convinced you (well that Elvis convinced you ;) )! So wich song are you going to use for your friend's birthday?

willem wrote:
nesh16041972 wrote:

Edit: I forgot to say why.....hard to say, but to me, and I'm very sure to lots and lots of other people, he was thé entertainer, his performances were so very ........full of energy (my english is failing here :( ), he was just so very charismatic, and his way of reacting to music was just very unique, he influenced music so much....even John Lennon said, 'before Elvis, there was nothing'.............oh hell, I can't describe it, sorry! :S

Yes Vanessa,you convince me,,,seeing the video's you sent you convince me and i know now that i missed something in my live,,like the beatles i discovered now Elvis too,so for me he can come back,,, a friend(girl) of my is going to be 50 soon and she is a huge fan too,,so i have to learn a view songs to make that day her day and you know the habit here to sing a song with our own lyrics related to the persons life and that must be a Elvis tune and i like his bleus/rock strummings..

willem

Sat Apr 16, 2011 8:55 am

nesh16041972 wrote:
Oh my gosh, Willem, where have you been hiding :ohmy: ?? Never too late to discover music right?! :P

Very glad to have convinced you (well that Elvis convinced you ;) )! So wich song are you going to use for your friend's birthday?

willem wrote:
nesh16041972 wrote:

I DON'T KNOW YET

lueders

Sat Apr 16, 2011 6:24 pm

cosmicmechanic

Sat Apr 16, 2011 8:46 pm

one that hasn't been mentioned so far ... Harry Nilsson.

Very special character, but a biography is not the point here ... this little recording of him is a bit of a rarity

[Edit] Ok, I couldn't resist just one more ...

sbutler

Sat Apr 16, 2011 8:58 pm

I think hearing about the death of Jim Croce, hit me about as hard as if he had been a friend.

Second would have to be Stevie Ray.

Neither of these guys were one hit wonders, and they both had so much more to share with us.

Vanessa,, I guess I'm going to have to go back to Memphis, Graceland, and fill a bag full of Elvis stuff and send it your way. Or I could have at least taken some pictures if I had known you were so gaga over him.

Scott

ps, I'll be more considerate of your needs the next time.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic