Rock and Roll Heaven - The biggest loss?

tovo

Fri Apr 15, 2011 4:55 pm

Well it's a sad fact that our collective fates are sealed (cheery today aren't I?) and we will all one day come fact to face with our mortality, but so many mega-talented artists have already beaten us to the "other side" as Jim Morrison sang about.

For you, who was the biggest loss and why? Who would you bring back from rock and roll heaven if you had the power?

Chasplaya

Fri Apr 15, 2011 5:24 pm

That's an easy one for a change Tony... Stevie Ray Vaughan...but only if he gave me free lessons lol The why? well he went before his prime, I believe he had a lot more to offer the Blues world.

Max

Fri Apr 15, 2011 5:29 pm

For me number one on the bring back list would be "John Lennon". He still had so much more to give us.
And I Know you said one, but I have to add "Stevie Ray Vaughn". He had cleaned up his bad habits and was a rising superstar who made Eric Clapton worry about sharing the stage with him.

RicksPick

Fri Apr 15, 2011 6:12 pm

A rising star lost

Kurt Cobain

RicksPick

willem

Fri Apr 15, 2011 6:39 pm

ELVIS, ELVIS, ELVIS, ELVIS, ELVIS!!!!

Did I already mention ELVIS??! :P

My god, he was só beautiful back then!!! :woohoo:

Edit: I forgot to say why.....hard to say, but to me, and I'm very sure to lots and lots of other people, he was thé entertainer, his performances were so very ........full of energy (my english is failing here :( ), he was just so very charismatic, and his way of reacting to music was just very unique, he influenced music so much....even John Lennon said, 'before Elvis, there was nothing'.............oh hell, I can't describe it, sorry! :S

millponddave

Fri Apr 15, 2011 6:40 pm

I have to go with Jerry Garcia. Having lived in the San Francisco bay area during the 70's I enjoyed the many Greatful Dead concerts more than any of the many other concerts I attended while there. (at least those that I can remember.)

Dave

neverfoundthetime

Fri Apr 15, 2011 6:41 pm

The greatest sense of loss for me was with John Lennon, hands down but I think the world would have appreciated a little more time with Buddy Holly, Jim Croce and again for me personally Dan Fogelberg.

MarkM

Fri Apr 15, 2011 6:47 pm

Ah Tony............Another fantasitc question. Well both John Lennon and Stevie Ray are awesome choices for sure. I agree with both of them. However I would have to say Buddy Holly. He died much too early and still had a huge effect on the artists that followed. The Beatles certainly amongst them. Although this is all before my time but can you imagine what the 60's could have been like with Buddy still around? What would he have brought to a decade that had so many changes as it was. Would he have followed in the whole flower power mentality? Would he have tuned it, turned on and dropped out. Would he have been apart of Monterey or Woodstock???? I have no idea but it could have been really interesting..........................

MarkM

dennisg

Fri Apr 15, 2011 7:35 pm

I wasn't too happy about Jimi Hendrix or Janis Joplin kicking the bucket, but I was stunned and depressed for days after John Lennon was shot.

michelew

Fri Apr 15, 2011 7:44 pm

All good replies.

Even though she doesn't fit the 'rock n' roll' category, I think Eva Cassidy's passing was a huge loss to the music world, and so sad.

M.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic