New Piece Of Wood

willem

Sun Apr 17, 2011 3:08 am

heatndude wrote:
My wonderful wife just let purchase a new guitar !!!!!! It is a Martin performing artist series acoustic. Solid Brazillian Rosewood back and sides, Solid Sitka Spruce Top and the new Fishman Aura 1 pick up system. Just got home with it so you wont hear from me for a few days but I will post a video as soon as I get used to this new beautiful thing. She says this is my 16 year anniversary gift from her (I better go shopping before playing it)

Mark

I think you both are very happy,,,sing and play for her Mark...

Catman

Sun Apr 17, 2011 5:23 am

Mark,

If there are no pictures, it didn't happen :), and I can't congratulate you properly until I see proof! A video would be even better...

(That's an unsubtle hint, meant in humour)

David

Hydroman52

Sun Apr 17, 2011 8:01 pm

Mark,

It finally came! I've been waiting to hear the official good news since the jam session. I was thinking about sending you a PM asking "Is it here, yet? Is it here, yet?" The next hurdle to get over is getting that first little nick in it. After that happens, then you can relax and really start playing it. I'm very happy for you. As I have said before . . . . . your wife is a "keeper".

Hydroman52

Yamaha48

Mon Apr 18, 2011 2:51 pm

Hey Mark.

That sounds realy good,a new Martin guitar.
You have a good wife,my friend.
A couple of weeks ago,i show here a book with Taylor guitars.
I show here the different models,here answere whas....a guitar is a guitar.
And thats not throuch,i know how it sounds.
Hope to see a video with your brand new guitar.

Cheers.............Anton

AcousticAl

Wed Apr 20, 2011 5:53 am

Congrats, Mark!

I just had my Martin set up at the shop and it sounds even sweeter!

I don't know what the weather is like where you're at- but keep it humidified in the case when you're not playing it!
I do that with mine and I'm glad-- the luthier that tuned it up said mine was the first one he'd seen all year that had no signs of warping or cracking etc.

heatndude

Wed Apr 20, 2011 1:10 pm

Well 4 days or 96 hours later I finally set down my new piece of wood !

Thanks everbody for comments this is a pretty big deal for me to have SOLID WOOD instrument and man does it sound sweet. Easy to play also.

Suzi, Yes I got it at Madison Music those guys are great ! I told them I know you so they gave me a special price because you are there best customer. haha

I will get some pictures and hopefully a video posted this weekend.

Any body out there have certain preference for humidifiers ?

Mark

suziko

Wed Apr 20, 2011 2:37 pm

Mark,

That's great. I've been so happy with the service at Mad Music. Glad you had a good experience, too. I can't remember the brand name of the humidifier I use, but it's one of the tube-shaped ones that you just moisten and stick in the sound hole. It seems to work well enough! It's what the guys at MM recommended to me. They're not at all expensive. Also, keep the guitar in your case when not playing it, and keep the lid closed when you have the guitar out (the humidity will stay in the case then).

Again, congrats. It's nice to own a good guitar.

Suzi

MarkM

Wed Apr 20, 2011 4:58 pm

Any body out there have certain preference for humidifiers ?

Mark[/quote]

Mark,

I use the Oasis humidifier on both my acoustics. They are the easiest and so far the best that I have used. I've been using these now for two years.

http://www.juststrings.com/oas-oh-1.html

MarkM

Hydroman52

Fri Apr 22, 2011 4:53 pm

Hey Mark,

Dropped into Madison Music when I was having a guitar worked on a few doors down at Lane's Lutherie (Lane has moved to a larger location a few miles to the east now). They have a few walls of mighty fine looking guitars.

The humidifier that I use is the Planet Waves one that fits in the sound hole. It works good. In really dry weather, the sponge can dry out rather quickly, so I made a guitar case humidifier for each of my guitars to compliment them and increase the amount of time between maintenance. It was really easy and only cost about $1.50 (US) for each humidifier. I don't know if I showed this stuff to you when you where at the Green Lake jam session . . . . . here's what I did. I went to Wally-World and bought eight or ten of those travel cases ($.97 each) for a bar of soap and drilled a pattern of holes in the top. Then I bought a bulk bag of sponges ($2.00 for a bag that took care of all the cases) at one of those Dollar stores that are everywhere now and cut a sponge to fit within the case. Fill the sponge with water and squeeze out until just damp, put in the soap case, throw in the guitar case, and voila! Here are some photos for you:

Home made humidifier on left - Planet Waves humidifier on right

The guts spilling out of the humidifiers . . . . . MooooHaHAHAHA (mad scientist laugh)

Planet Waves humidifier in sound hole

My home-made one fits nicely in this case at the heel of the neck:

Home-made humidifier in case

Home-made humidifier in case

The top of the soap case is convex, so the sponge will not be up against your guitar or anything fuzzy in the guitar case. It's really important that you wring out the water so it doesn't drip out of the sponges and onto the guitar . . . . not good. Also, I found that different guitar cases required more checking due to the composition of the material and how tightly it is sealed. I would guess that it's about a week-and-a-half to two weeks between check-ups. These keep my guitars happy at about 47% humidity or more during the cold, dry winter months. I would also highly recommend a hygrometerto put in your case to keep an eye on things, at least until you get the hang of it. You can usually pick up a good digital one on-line fom Amazon for under $25.00 that will fit somewhere. I put mine in the "case candy" compartment. You may even want to keep an eye on it in the summer if you tend to be overly ecessive with your airconditioning. Just a thought.

I know you're going to have that new instrument and enjoy it for a long time.

Hydroman52

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic