Motivation - when it's off visiting someone else, it really SUCKS! - so how do you coax it back?

millponddave

Wed Apr 27, 2011 8:06 pm

So, where to start? I have been trying to learn guitar for several years. I have taken a few rather informal lessons and have really struggled. (and continue to struggle.) At times I feel like I will NEVER improve, and yet I keep going. I think it's because I absolutely love playing the guitar, even if I know that I will never be as good as I would like to be. However, if I take the time to look back objectively, I can see that I have actually gotten better and indeed know a lot more than I sometimes think I do. I have Neil and TG to thank for that. I have improved so much since discovering this site. I also have to give credit to this wonderful community that we have here. Everyone is so supportive that when I start to lose my motivation I just check out what others are doing and realize that I am not alone in my struggles and it gives me hope that if others can overcome their obstacles then I can too. So, thank you all for the inspiration and motivation that you have given me and will continue to give me in my musical journey.

Dave

KennyF

Thu Apr 28, 2011 4:38 am

I can't say this enough...

I believe that a true love for the instrument, coupled with the premise that learning to play is a lifelong endeavor, IS the key. In spite of what some people think, NOBODY has this "mastered". It's a process. And that process ends when you're dead. There are things that seem difficult while you're focused on them, but if you just keep on moving forward, what used to be hard, will become easy. Unfortunately, you'll be onto the next thing that seems difficult, and so on...

Rather than stressing about where you are, try to focus on where you are going... B)

Kenny

michelew

Thu Apr 28, 2011 7:17 am

Thanks to everyone has shared their experience again. It all rings true.

I must say though, it's not frustration I'm feeling at this point (I think). But, that's OK - others will benefit from hearing that stuff too and the ideas are still applicable. I'm hoping that Chris' insights as a coach come to pass here.

Tonight, so far I've just played stuff I know. Which has been good for realising that I can play things and for keeping those songs happening. (Hmmm... note to self - must start learning happy songs again... :) ).

Anyway. Thanks for the pep talks and the words of wisdom. It has helped already.

Ta

Michele

sbutler

Thu Apr 28, 2011 12:47 pm

michelew wrote:

I must say though, it's not frustration I'm feeling at this point (I think). But, that's OK - others will benefit from hearing that stuff too and the ideas are still applicable. I'm hoping that Chris' insights as a coach come to pass here.

Tonight, so far I've just played stuff I know. Which has been good for realising that I can play things and for keeping those songs happening. (Hmmm... note to self - must start learning happy songs again... :) ).

Anyway. Thanks for the pep talks and the words of wisdom. It has helped already.

Ta

Michele
Michelle, start working on "Here comes the sun" You just can't be down in the dumps when your hearing that song. At least I can't.

Scott

KennyF

Fri Apr 29, 2011 7:42 am

sbutler wrote:
michelew wrote:

Ta

Michele
Michelle, start working on "Here comes the sun" You just can't be down in the dumps when your hearing that song. At least I can't.

Scott
One of my favorite songs of all time. B)

michelew

Fri Apr 29, 2011 7:52 am

Well guys thanks for the suggestion. I have to agree its a great song. As it happens I've learned it. But, i really should refresh it. It does cheer me up.

Ta

M.

MarkM

Fri Apr 29, 2011 10:28 am

Michele,

This is a great question as you can tell from all the responses. I could get lost in trying to put in my 2 cents worth but I'll try to keep it short. Actually since I've read all the responses I'm not entirely sure what the original question was. So I'll just go with the flow here. I have days where no matter what I do the "guitar" sounds good. Nothing to do with my playing but it rather just has this wonderful tone that is pleasant to my ears. Other days it sounds like a tissue box with strings. When that happens it's pretty clear that I need to put it down and I'll try again later to coax it back to life. We are all our own worst critics for sure. Half the time I'm embarrassed to put up a video and the support I get on this site uplifts me. When I'm learing a new song its the only thing I'll play. So early on in the process I get that "I suck" feeling quite often. However I'm finally coming around to the idea that I'm getting used to that and know that over the next several days or weeks this song will come around and THEN I'll feel a sense of accomplishment. Especially if I learned a new technique or overcame something that was previously very difficult for me. Other times while I'm in between learning songs, having just came off the high of some form of accomplishment I loose motivation as I'm trying to have a song grab me or inspire me to learn it. This is a double edge sword though as I may see/hear a song on TG or elsewhere and think to myself that there is no way I can play that and I have to look elsewhere for motivation. Eventually I'll find something. I'm kind of there at the moment now. Do I look for a quick fix and work on a busking song or do I knuckle down and really put in the time and effort into another fantastic lesson here on TG? I'll try and compare guitar playing to golf. A new player to golf can go from shooting 130 or so to 100 in a fairly short amount of time but when that person wants to break a 100 it will be that much more difficult. Possibly taking twice the amount of time to get to 100 in the fisrt place. Then when that same player breaks a 100 it takes so much more finese to get below 90. Guitar playing, in my opinion, is similar. A new player can learn 3-5 chords and be well on thier way to accomplishing perfection on many songs. After time you learn a few techniques and more chords and then another world opens up and now they can play a new set of songs. The process keeps building and that player gets better and better. Personally I think I can finger just about and chord that I see TAB for. I can mix in the odd strum or easy picking pattern. I can "learn" a song quicker than I used to. However in order for me to progress, just as a golf player who broke a 100 to get below 90, I need to fine tune the nuances of playing. I need to understand the instrument better. I need to be more proficient up the fret board and I need to be able to improvise on the fly while playing with other people. Basically I need to improve upon being a guitar hack where I can now reasonably learn and play a song to be able to learn and play music. Wow I am rambling a bit now aren't I? I think I just depressed myself in how bad I suck :laugh: :laugh: .

Let me put it this way. The guitar will be a life long companion. You'll have trials and tribulations just like any relationship. Sometimes the flame is burning hot and sometimes you get in a bit of a rut. However it will always be there for you when you need it the most. I love the guitar and wish I gave it more attention over the years. For me it's not just the playing of the music but learning about the different woods, strings, how it is manufactured, etc. Even if I don't play it for a week (seldom the case) I'm still reading about it and watching others play it. That will inspire me to pick it up again if I'm feeling down about my abilities. Not sure if this was what you were looking for. I'm just rambling here on a Friday morning as this was a good distraction................ :)

MarkM

michelew

Mon May 02, 2011 7:47 am

Mark,

There's always more to learn that's for sure. I too love learning about guitars themselves ... although that can lead to a nasty case of GAS ... don't get me started. :) B) (don't wake the dragon!)

Well I do have a touch of marshmellow syndrome today - but, I'm having fun skipping around. So, I think she may just be back. :) Woo hoo!

M.

neverfoundthetime

Mon May 02, 2011 8:16 am

I'll try and compare guitar playing to golf. A new player to golf can go from shooting 130 or so to 100 in a fairly short amount of time but when that person wants to break a 100 it will be that much more difficult. Possibly taking twice the amount of time to get to 100 in the fisrt place. Then when that same player breaks a 100 it takes so much more finese to get below 90. MarkM
Good analogy with golf playing Mark. I work with two professional golfers on the mental side of their game and I can tell you that the motivation and focus issues become much more critical the better the player is. The better you get the more you are involved in fine-tuning and honing deeply practised routines which take hours and months and years to refine. And then you are playing with the elite and the progress becomes much more finely tuned and difficult. It's all about polishing and details and small increments and keeping the mind confident, clear and focused. Just falling off that a little means dropping critical strokes at critical times. So finding ways of recognising just how far you have come (and therefore just how good you really are) is important to help keep things in perspective as you attempt to move further (not up the ladder but) up into the very needle point of the pyramid of proficiency.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic