Taping on the Top

Music Junkie

Tue May 03, 2011 4:19 pm

sws626 wrote:
Not to start a controversy, but there's a big difference between knowing what beat you are on and keeping a steady tempo (with the help of a metronome). Neil's method of tapping out the beats does a great of the former and has definitely helped my playing enormously. While the latter can be practiced with a metronome, I'm now convinced that it can only really be mastered through playing with others.

-Stuart
Stuart:

EVERYONE that has helped me out on my journey of learning to play the guitar has told me that playing with others is the best and fastest way to improve. The thought of that may be daunting to those of us who are shy and not very confident in our abilities, but if you can find someone with some patience, it can be a wonderful opportunity and a lot of fun. When I first started taking lessons, I would freeze like a deer in the headlights whenever my instructor would ask me to play along on a song (total embarrassment). It has slowly started to erode and I find that I am a bit more relaxed about it. Mostly because of the encouragement and lack of laughing at my mistakes. Most important thing I have learned is to KEEP TIME. If you mess up, don't hesitate and try to get it right. Just keep moving forward and stay in time.

You made a great point there. ;)

Jason

sbutler

Tue May 03, 2011 6:06 pm

mark wrote:
frybaby wrote:
I’ve noticed that on most of Neil’s guitar video lesson, while playing, his right hand strikes the guitar top, makes a taping sound with his finger nails or finger tips.

The sound is similar to that of a metronome, as it keep in time with the strumming and count.

I was wondering, is that something he does while performing, or is it something just for the benefit of student and the lessons.

Is it something student should strive for in their playing?
This is a good question and something I've thought about as well.
Neil definately does this when he is trying to make it more obvious where the beats are.

it's something I have picked and do since watching Neils lessons. It adds a nice percussive element to the strumming.

I'd interested to know if Neil does this when he plays live
Mark, there used to be a series of home made videos on this site, of Neil playing at several different places live. I haven't seen them in a while, but if you watch them, you'll see if he does or not. I think the footage may be under the blog section to the left, under on the beat or something like that.

Scott

AndyT

Wed May 04, 2011 1:36 am

I know the tapping you mention and truth be told, It kind of bugs me. Don't get me wrong, but to my ears, it seems to detract from the music. It does help to follow along though. I don't think he does it when performing either.

willem

Wed May 04, 2011 6:37 am

Oke the top tapping is to follow along while the last strum is ringin out,,i think you can't hear the tapping of a bare foot.. B)

frybaby

Wed May 04, 2011 6:46 am

Andy, thank you for the honesty. I personally find the taping somewhat of a distraction. Nonetheless, I am sure it serves a purpose especially for some aspects of a lesson.
I know in my case things like that can become an unconscious habit, and will happen during my playing whether intended or not. I might not even be aware of it or even hear it, but like you to the listener it could be distracting. Just wondered If Neil is aware that he is doing it, or is it an intentional action designed to help the student.
As the saying goes... The wise man ask, the fool wonders.
Again thanks for stepping out with your honest appraisal.
That's all.
Frybaby

AndyT

Thu May 05, 2011 1:00 am

Fry,
You're welcome. I wasn't going to say anything, but after a bit I figured that Neil can handle it and if he does have a reason, he'll likely let us know what it is. I never like to give any kind of negative feedback if I can help it.

frybaby

Thu May 05, 2011 10:50 am

(Proverbs 27:6)  The wounds inflicted by a lover are faithful, but the kisses of a hater are things to be entreated.

AcousticAl

Thu May 05, 2011 3:05 pm

frybaby wrote:
Andy, thank you for the honesty. I personally find the taping somewhat of a distraction. Nonetheless, I am sure it serves a purpose especially for some aspects of a lesson.
I know in my case things like that can become an unconscious habit, and will happen during my playing whether intended or not. I might not even be aware of it or even hear it, but like you to the listener it could be distracting. Just wondered If Neil is aware that he is doing it, or is it an intentional action designed to help the student.
As the saying goes... The wise man ask, the fool wonders.
Again thanks for stepping out with your honest appraisal.
That's all.
Frybaby

I obviously can't speak for Neil- but if there's a sound that's coming from/on/in his guitar- I'm sure it's on his radar.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic