Taping on the Top

frybaby

Mon May 02, 2011 2:55 pm

I’ve noticed that on most of Neil’s guitar video lesson, while playing, his right hand strikes the guitar top, makes a taping sound with his finger nails or finger tips.

The sound is similar to that of a metronome, as it keep in time with the strumming and count.

I was wondering, is that something he does while performing, or is it something just for the benefit of student and the lessons.

Is it something student should strive for in their playing?

sbutler

Mon May 02, 2011 4:38 pm

Neil always keeps his built in metronome going and encourages everyone that will listen to do the same.

There are some songs however, that he slaps the strings just to get a percussive sound. Signe (eric clapton) and More than words (extreme) are two examples where he does it for the audio affect.

But mainly, he always keeps time, no matter what else is going on, timing is a big deal.

Scott

AndyT

Mon May 02, 2011 4:58 pm

sbutler wrote:
But mainly, he always keeps time, no matter what else is going on, timing is a big deal.
Timing is a big deal. Unless your flying blind thru a cloudbank at 3k ft AGL in the dark over the rockies... LOL

CFIT CFIT!

AndyT

Mon May 02, 2011 5:01 pm

Timing IS a big deal. I'm forever going on about how much we need to work with a metronome. There will come a point though where you no longer need to use the ticker all the time. I'm not there yet. But if you can do 5 mins of metronome work daily, you will be surprised how quickly you improve.

sbutler

Mon May 02, 2011 6:46 pm

AndyT wrote:
sbutler wrote:
Timing is a big deal. Unless your flying blind thru a cloudbank at 3k ft AGL in the dark over the rockies... LOL

CFIT CFIT!
Sadly Andy, CFIT (controled flight into terrain) is about timing too. I've lost a really good buddy, mainly because his timing was way off. Unfortunately, Alaska has that type of poor timing way too often.

Your absolutely correct. Timing is a VERY BIG Deal.

scott

AndyT

Tue May 03, 2011 4:19 am

Scott,
We only have 3 kinds of accidents here in Hawaii. (Aviation related)
1. Stupidity. Forgot to fill the tank.
2. Stupidity, Flying too close to a cliff face in high winds. (Mostly Helos)
3. Stupidity. Flying VFR in IMC.

Very sadly, I too have lost a friend to CFIT. Not paying attention to the black hole at Princeville and mowed down a tree.

Timing is critical, even in music.

mark

Tue May 03, 2011 6:20 am

frybaby wrote:
I’ve noticed that on most of Neil’s guitar video lesson, while playing, his right hand strikes the guitar top, makes a taping sound with his finger nails or finger tips.

The sound is similar to that of a metronome, as it keep in time with the strumming and count.

I was wondering, is that something he does while performing, or is it something just for the benefit of student and the lessons.

Is it something student should strive for in their playing?
This is a good question and something I've thought about as well.
Neil definately does this when he is trying to make it more obvious where the beats are.

it's something I have picked and do since watching Neils lessons. It adds a nice percussive element to the strumming.

I'd interested to know if Neil does this when he plays live

AcousticAl

Tue May 03, 2011 12:08 pm

I've noticed this as well.

Always been curious what the sound is and how Neil makes the sound.

frybaby

Tue May 03, 2011 12:50 pm

Extemporaneous

Gentlemen, thanks for chiming in.,

The main reason I ask the question, is that, I have, without thinking about it or perhaps with out noticing it, I seem to have picked up the habit.

In the past I was very conscious about making my sound as clear and clean as possible working and practicing to eliminating if possible any sounds made by my playing technique, other than the pure sound of the strings vibration.( unless working on palm muting or other intentional techniques) .

Even began to use coated strings to eliminate string squeaking.

Lately, I have been practicing a couple of song which I may have the chance to play for friends, and was wondering, although the tapping sound may have some practical used, I began to wonder if it was (for me at least) a result of poor strumming execution, and something that should be overcome rather than developed.

It a hard habit to break.

My regards to all
Frybaby

sws626

Tue May 03, 2011 1:41 pm

Not to start a controversy, but there's a big difference between knowing what beat you are on and keeping a steady tempo (with the help of a metronome). Neil's method of tapping out the beats does a great of the former and has definitely helped my playing enormously. While the latter can be practiced with a metronome, I'm now convinced that it can only really be mastered through playing with others.

-Stuart

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic