When is it time to post a song for review?

neverfoundthetime

Tue May 10, 2011 8:03 pm

I felt uncomfortable with that after the fact as well because I just felt it would come across as "look at me". My motivation to post was well intentioned I can say. That is why I have made the comment a couple of times that I intend to post less.
Nope. Not at all. I have never had the feeling anyone is saying "look at me" and you'd be the last in the queue Tony so absolutely no worries. And there is no way you (or anyone) should post less! Seriously!

mark

Wed May 11, 2011 5:13 am

tovo wrote:

One thing about TG is that we are all VERY reluctant to be critical, preferring to be supportive. I like that, but I do think we should try hard to offer something constructive for the player to work on. If the player is really struggling, there is still always value in picking 1 thing for them to work on...we don't need to point out every weakness.
I think Tony makes a very good point here.

There have been times when I have seen a video which lets say is less than perfect. By the time I have watched it there has been probably 10 or more posts saying how great it was. Not wanting to be the bad guy this puts me off from making any comments.
It's a difficult situation because there are lots of players here all at different stages of their learning but saying that something is fantastic when it clearly isn't doesn't help the original poster get any better.

daryl

Wed May 11, 2011 6:41 am

mark wrote:
tovo wrote:

One thing about TG is that we are all VERY reluctant to be critical, preferring to be supportive. I like that, but I do think we should try hard to offer something constructive for the player to work on. If the player is really struggling, there is still always value in picking 1 thing for them to work on...we don't need to point out every weakness.

There have been times when I have seen a video which lets say is less than perfect. By the time I have watched it there has been probably 10 or more posts saying how great it was. Not wanting to be the bad guy this puts me off from making any comments.
It's a difficult situation because there are lots of players here all at different stages of their learning but saying that something is fantastic when it clearly isn't doesn't help the original poster get any better.
Words of encouragement are always helpful. But saying, "that was great" when it clearly wasn't isn't helpful. Pointing out a specific positive thing (e.g. "good job hitting that barred F chord") I think is a reasonable comment. If I want to comment negatively (or more specifically constructively) I will send a PM to the player (and hope they take my comments in the spirit in which they were given).

RicksPick

Wed May 11, 2011 10:29 am

Well I was going to upload a new vid, but maybe i will practice more, what to do?????
Can of worms, cat in a bag, gate not bolted,,,,,,

RicksPick

neverfoundthetime

Wed May 11, 2011 11:08 am

Mark
We automatically adjust our approach to encouraging and critiquing a post to the playing/learning level of the poster. If we were to have fixed levels of proficiency like the high jump bar at the Olympics, everyone but the gold medallist would fall short so we could never give them a "Great job!". Obviously most of us will fall short most of the time. That's why we are here and not on a stage somewhere. So it's about offering encouragement appropriate to the level of the poster. If someone was having a problem with the flow of strumming in an earlier post and then post something which shows an obvious improvement then that is a great job. It's not going to with the gold medal yet but it is a great job and should be so recognised. We are delicate flowers which need to be watered with encouragement but also shown the direction in which we should grow. So its absolutely vital that we are dishing out "great job"s left right and centre for any improvement or good thing we see and hear. After making as many positive comments as possible, then there is space for a point to be made which can then be more critical. And it will then be well accepted by the poster because the encouragement is in a good balance to the critical point mentioned. I'm pretty sure Mark , that anything you say to almost anyone here will be well listened to as you have shown yourself to be a very proficient performer. If you can find a few positive comments and then follow it up with one critical point you'd like to make, you will have done the poster a real service. So my advice is not to hold back on the "great job"s nor on the critical points you want to make. It is simply a question of how you balance it in respect to the current level of the poster. And I don't think there is a member here who would not respond positively to that.

Rick, although I'm guilty this week of not taking my own advice on posting, post it and let folks give you their 2 cents worth... it will move you forward.

neverfoundthetime

Wed May 11, 2011 2:22 pm

BTW, Bill Haoli checked in and sends his regards to all. He mailed yesterday to say he'd been out working 4 straight weeks and is dying to get back to TG to catch up with everything.

michelew

Fri May 13, 2011 10:17 pm

Thanks everyone for all of your responses, sharing your experience and your insights. It's great to hear what you all do and why.

Tony - why on Earth would you want to post less. Seeing you post is an inspiration to lots of us to get busy and show some more guts. Just keep them coming.

Thanks y'all.

M.

lueders

Sat May 14, 2011 12:30 am

daryl wrote:
mark wrote:
tovo wrote:

Words of encouragement are always helpful. But saying, "that was great" when it clearly wasn't isn't helpful. Pointing out a specific positive thing (e.g. "good job hitting that barred F chord") I think is a reasonable comment. If I want to comment negatively (or more specifically constructively) I will send a PM to the player (and hope they take my comments in the spirit in which they were given).

Fellas, I'm not sure how this going to be perceived. But at the risk of being perceived as the "bad guy"
I'm gonna say it anyway.As someone who gives his share of: "greats!,good-jobs!, & way to go-s" I will explain
my thinking & defend why I do so:

1.) I like to think I am a relatively enthusiastic person. Maybe I REALLY do think it is Great!
(And maybe, it is especially great for that specific person) Opinions vary. And, balance is indeed good!
2.) Don't underestimate the power of a "Good Job" it probably does more good than you think it does.

3.) As a member of T.G. being a cheerleader is more in my job description than being overtly critical.

4.) Chances are I am not as uniquely familiar with the specific tune as the guy/girl who has been working on the
tune for over a half a month. or whatever. (Irregardless, of what that person's ability or mine happens to be
there is a margin for error.)

5.) If critical analysis is wanted by a member there are ways to get it. Folks know which veterans, and advanced
players to ask. It has already been stated that PM-ing certainly works. There you go.
Tangent Alert:...Is it really that big of a deal to have to scroll down past 10-15 "good jobs"? Fifteen people
thought enough of the person to not only comment,but be positive & supportive as well. I think that is a good
problem to have.

6.) Do you really think beginning players need advice from 30 different members giving contradictory advice?

7.) I love the Forum and 90% of the people here... but I don't necessarily believe the FORUM is TG's main tool
for learning to play this block o' wood. Do you? That distinction goes to Mr. Hogan. And last time I checked
that wasn't my name. Frankly, I don't take my opinions or my abilities that seriously...

michelew

Sat May 14, 2011 1:29 am

I whole-heartedly agree with you Cori.

I think it's great that people offer advice when they can provide constructive suggestions. But, I generally find it difficult to give advice and frankly I think that the vast majority of people DO do a good job for their level of proficiency. Let's face it, just having the courage to post is a hurdle all by itself. And if someone posts something that isn't as good as they might be able to make it with a little more practice... well who cares? We all have the choice to comment or not. Post away I say. It might just give others the confidence to post their own efforts.

As far as I'm concerned it's all good.

M. (resident member of the cheerleader squad - how else and I going to be one??)

tovo

Sat May 14, 2011 3:31 am

Hey Cori...you're not the 'bad guy' mate. I fully understand and accept what you are saying. If you feel more comfortable with "great job" than anything else then that's cool. I'm stating my opinion not trying to heavy anyone or lay down imaginary rules. I think the important thing is that everyone posts for different reasons and has different expectations. For me I want critical feedback for the purpose of improvement.

Shel, I just want to work more on tunes before I post is all.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic