When is it time to post a song for review?

Craig

Tue May 10, 2011 11:35 am

Michelle,
Tough question...I have thought about this a lot lately. In fact, I just was whining to Tony about it the other day. I recently posted a video for review that I regret posting. I received some great advice from a few members on timing. The thing is I knew the timing was bad before I posted it. I had figured out some "harmony" notes on my own, which I was kind of pleased with myself about because my theory knowledge isn't that great...so I got caught up on wanting to show you guys that I figured something out on my own! If I had to do it again, I would have just posted it in a busking thread...or waited until I got the timing down a little bit better.
So, for me at least. I learned a lesson about waiting until I get it down to a point where the basic parts of the song are decent (for my abilities), then post for some more detailed advice, or someting someone might see that I haven't thought of yet...
Craig

P.S. Come back Bill. My confidence needs some clapping hands!

sws626

Tue May 10, 2011 12:47 pm

Hi Craig,

I've oftened thought about posting just a short passage of a song where I've been working on something interesting, even if I haven't yet got the whole song down. I think this would have been a good way for you to highlight the harmony you'd worked out. I wish more people would do this, actually.

-Stuarth

Craig

Tue May 10, 2011 1:00 pm

Stuart,
I agree. I wish now that I had thought it through a little better, but I guess it's all part of the TG learning process. The last thing I would want to do is have people sit through three minutes of crap just to watch the 30 seconds of what I really wanted them to see!
I'm glad Michelle started this thread, I feel better already! :laugh:
Craig

Chasplaya

Tue May 10, 2011 1:22 pm

suziko wrote:
Sorry to be off-topic, but where IS Bill???

Suzi
I spoke with him last week, he has a lot on workwise at present but he will be back, he promised!

tovo

Tue May 10, 2011 4:27 pm

I like the idea of posting a video question where you can play just the bit of the tune giving you hassle and ask for advice. I tried to get it going for the TG live programs but it flopped big time. It could be well applied in the forum in general though. There's nothing to stop people posting just part of a tune in the student review section.

I am very sensitive about when I post a tune. The couple of times I have posted a tune that I hadn't worked on for very long I have really regretted. Not because they were bad (they were...but not the point) but because I felt I had been selfish, asking people for comment when I hadn't really worked on the song. I recently posted an update to a tune very quickly after the original to show that I had listened to all feedback. I felt uncomfortable with that after the fact as well because I just felt it would come across as "look at me". My motivation to post was well intentioned I can say. That is why I have made the comment a couple of times that I intend to post less.

One thing about TG is that we are all VERY reluctant to be critical, preferring to be supportive. I like that, but I do think we should try hard to offer something constructive for the player to work on. If the player is really struggling, there is still always value in picking 1 thing for them to work on...we don't need to point out every weakness. It also gets very hard when the player is really sound. That is becoming more and more of a problem as we get more and more great players!

All this is loosely related to Shel's question I guess!

sws626

Tue May 10, 2011 5:08 pm

It looks like some similar ideas are floating around on a couple of threads. There's definitely nothing stopping anyone from using the Student Uploads section in this way. But I'm sure everyone remembers that the Busking section began with Chris just starting a busking thread. So probably the best way to see whether this sort of thing would be valuable is just to start doing it and see whether Matt and Neil decide it warrants a separate category.

I see a lot of question on the site where people are struggling with a technique or a specific passage in a song. It's really difficult to comment constructively without hearing what they are doing. And there are so many excellent performances up on both the Busking and Student Uploads, that I expect it would take a few brave souls to get this ball rolling.

Lavallee

Tue May 10, 2011 6:11 pm

Good question Michele, as I do not think I really have a definitive time in a song learning progression that tells me I am ready to post. Since I am not a perfectionist but a generalist (I prefer to work on many songs than a few) , I am not overly concerned about the flaws in my playing . For the last year I posted when I could follow the original. That said, I always saw after the posting that none of the songs I posted were as good as I thought they were. Once you worked hard on a song and you think you are on top of it, you loose perspective. Letting a bit of time passing seems to help looking at the result differently. But if I would wait all the time, then nothing gets posted. So I think the good time is when you are happy with a song but you are sick of playing it, posting it gives step back to see what needs to be improved.

Marc

PS Craig, I thought all your posts were great, you always spent some time working on your songs. Do not get in the perfection trap , you have all the rights to be happy with what you posted, you are progressing all the time, do not hold back. Guitar is supposed to be fun not another day at the office

dennisg

Tue May 10, 2011 6:28 pm

For me it's when one of the following two events occurs: 1) when I can get through the song reasonably smoothly while maintaining a constant tempo, or 2) when Suzi tells me to post a song.

Craig

Tue May 10, 2011 6:38 pm

Dennis,
I would assume #2 carries a lot more weight than #1 does! :laugh:

Craig

P.S. Thanks Marc, I appreciate that...

sbutler

Tue May 10, 2011 7:17 pm

Simple Michele,

You post a song for review, when you want it reviewed.

I'm taking lessons here. If I have something I'm having an issue with, I'll ask my instructor. The only way to do that is to submit a video in the student review section.

I've also learned an awful lot, by going back in the archieves to look at past reviews of songs (by other members),that I'm working on.
Chances are, if someone has a problem within a song, and Neil responds, his response will certainly help others later on.

So if you submit something for review, you may not be the only one that benefits from Neils response.

Scott

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic