When is it time to post a song for review?

michelew

Tue May 10, 2011 4:10 am

Tony - yes Sir, three bags full Sir.

OK my contribution.

Ness suggested that we post more progress videos rather than waiting for "perfection", which of course never comes. I'm definitely guilty of waiting too long, and continuing to struggle on my own when my practice is producing diminishing returns. I haven't posted since.... maybe January, there are lots of reasons for that, ... fear comes to mind... but, one is definitely wanting to perform the piece well. However, that definitely doesn't take advantage of Neil's advice and the community's which would probably get me to 'good' much faster.

So my question to you is:

How do you know when is it time to post your progress on a song you're working on in the review channel?

Yes, we're different. But, I'm guessing that some of us could benefit from your thoughts.

M.

RicksPick

Tue May 10, 2011 4:59 am

Intresting question Michele

Well with my last upload I would have to say

DONT WAIT

I will be old and gray before I achieve perfection
Hold on, I am,,,,,, :P . Ill say it before anyone else does.

I guess we all have to start somewhere, struggle for a while, until it becomes second nature
That could be a long time for some songs,
So why wait till its almost perfect to post?
you only get to show and tell then, not much advice to give

RicksPick

suziko

Tue May 10, 2011 6:14 am

Great question, Shel and I think a hard one to answer. Obviously everyone is going to have a different answer. I guess, for me, I'd say I try to get a song to a point where it's about as good as I can do it right now. I know that in 6 months or a year, or 5 years, I'm going to play better than I do right now. So if I waited to post Landslide until a year from now, of course it would be better (or at least I hope!). But I want some feedback right now on my playing. Posting a video serves a couple of purposes for me. One is to show where my playing is at right now. The other is to get some feedback, whether that's encouraging words or advice, because those things motivate me to keep playing. I want to post something I'm proud of, but I don't usually strive for a "perfect" video. In fact, I have huge admiration for those players on this site who can post seemingly perfect videos. I never play that cleanly, so to try to post something that's perfect would be an exercise in frustration and discouragement for me.

suzi

mark

Tue May 10, 2011 6:33 am

Good Question and as others have said it probably different for everyone.

For me, I post when I don't seem to be able to make it any better by myself.

A bit of self analysis can be good before posting something.
On some occasions I have videoed something and immediately seem something that isn't right or can be improved.
In those cases I have tried to fix it myself rather than post it yet.

Sometimes I find it hard to comment on videos which have been submitted with very little practice.
If there has only been a few play throughs before something is posted it's difficult to determine what is due to the lack of familiarity and what really needs to be improved.
Of courseif these videos are resubmited at a llater date it's good to see the improvement

sws626

Tue May 10, 2011 8:06 am

Another great question, Michele.

It really depends on my mood, but generally, I would like to get some feedback on generally pick songs that force me to develop a new technique. So, ideally, I'd like to have put in enough time with a song that I can play it reasonably comfortably, but may still be having some trouble with the new and more difficult parts. Typically, that will mean at least a couple of weeks worth of effort -- which probably represents having played it through maybe a hundred time or so -- before posting.

I've recently been thinking about doing a time-lapsed video showing my awkward progress from the first time I try to play through the song until it reaches that point, but I'm afraid it would just be too painful for anyone to watch.

-Stuart

Music Junkie

Tue May 10, 2011 9:07 am

Good question Michele.

As stated several times already, it is different for everyone. I think that since this is, first and foremost, a teaching site, it can be whenever you are stuck with something. I think, like Mark said, that is can be "difficult to comment on videos which have been submitted with very little practice. If there has only been a few play throughs before something is posted it's difficult to determine what is due to the lack of familiarity and what really needs to be improved."

That being said, it would be useful to upload only certain parts of songs to concentrate and explain the specific area or method you are struggling with. Again, this goes back and kind of ties in with the fear some have of posting. So much of what gets uploaded is at a state where it just needs to be tightened up a bit and little embellishments added. Those still qualify for teaching moments, because we are all at different levels and some are at that stage while others, like myself are still back at a point where we would like to be able to sing and play at the same time without messing up too bad. ;)

Also, it would depend on where you are uploading the song. Are you uploading on the Busking Channel to share, or are you uploading on the student review channel for help..... :)

J

neverfoundthetime

Tue May 10, 2011 10:00 am

Seeing as Bill seems to be AWOL I thought I'd post his reply for him:

14:00 PST is pretty good and 17:00 EST is not bad but my personal favourite is 00.30 GMT! :-)

suziko

Tue May 10, 2011 10:06 am

Sorry to be off-topic, but where IS Bill???

Suzi

lueders

Tue May 10, 2011 10:12 am

suziko wrote:
Sorry to be off-topic, but where IS Bill???

Suzi

Good question, Suzi! I 'm getting worried. Also, while we are on the subject... where is Wall-do, (a.k.a. Wally)

MarkM

Tue May 10, 2011 10:38 am

Another great question. However before I throw in my .02 worth I'm curious as to where Bill is as well. I hope all is good with him.

OK so on to my feeble attempt to answer this without rambling. When to post a video? Hmm well I'll answer this first pertaining to the review section. Personally I agree with Mark in that I try to self critique first and then get it out on this site when I want a set of fresh eyes and ears to look at this so that you all can point me in a direction I'm not seeing. I think it goes to how we learn songs in the first place. As I've written before, once I find a song I want to learn I immerse myself in that song until I can't think strait. I ususally start with the chords and just strum to the tempo. From there I'll either add the embellishments, runs, tricky sections if its a strumming song. If its a fingerpicking style I'll then work on the pattern and changes slowely at first and then try to bring up to speed. Regardless of what style it is (I usually take much longer on fingerpicking songs as it is more difficult for me) after a period of time I post it to get the feedback to either say "you've got it" or "you may want to check this and that" . I've gotten some great feedback from the membership and Neil. Ususally its something that I never thought of or a way to fine tune something that I was struggling with. I want to put up a video that shows I've put time and effort into a song and that usually shows a new techniqe that I've been trying to learn.

As for the Busking channel I put in songs that are fun and are in a style that I'm more comfortable with. Usually its because I'm feeling a bit sucky at the moment and need to do something easier to make myself feel better as a player.

MarkM

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic