When is it time to post a song for review?

suziko

Sat May 14, 2011 6:59 am

It seems to me the answer to what type of response you should give to a video is- give the response that you have when you watch the video. If you watch and see something or a few things that could be improved on, go ahead and let the player know. I have encountered very little rudeness here at TG, so I'm not really worried that any of you are going to critique in an off-putting way. This isn't YouTube, where comments like, "Dude, U suk lol" are the norm. If you watch the video and think, "Huh! That was nice!" then you write a "good job" type comment. No reason to tamp down our natural personalities. I love that Cori is as enthusiastic as he is, and his cheery responses to my videos always make me smile. I admire Mark for his advanced guitar skill and I'd be flattered beyond belief to get some technical feedback from him on one of my videos.

Whenever I've posted something, most everyone responds with some variation on "well done." And I'm grateful to hear that just because, as Shel said, it's scary and confidence-shaking to post a video for everyone to see of me doing something I'm not great at. Like many people here, I don't have a lot of support for my playing in my real life. So just hearing "well done" helps a lot. I also almost always get a smattering of technical advice. And I'm thrilled to get that too. I hate to think that anyone would hold back from telling me how I could improve my song, just because most of the responders said "Great job" first. I think there are ways to tell a person that their song is rough, but without being rude. And if you're uncomfortable telling them in the public comments, by all means, PM them. I've also had that experience, where people have PMd me with critiques, and I was totally receptive to that as well (though, to be honest, I prefer it to be public, because I think then everyone benefits from it).

Suzi

heatndude

Sat May 14, 2011 8:06 am

I think the sooner you post a video the better. Everyone around here is great and we are all here to learn from Neil and each other. So I welcome any comments good or ugly it will help me out either way so let me have it if you want. Then follow up with a new video after you have improved and thank everyone for the help. I know I have only posted a few videos but I watch all of them and learn from all the comments.

Suzi if you dont have much support at home with your playing I would be happy to play good or badly with you ? I have been impressed with your progress and always look forward to your next post.

Any comments or criticism is good it helps everyone so post ALL THE TIME !!!!!!!!!!

Mark

dennisg

Sat May 14, 2011 8:57 am

I think Tony makes a very good point here.

There have been times when I have seen a video which lets say is less than perfect. By the time I have watched it there has been probably 10 or more posts saying how great it was. Not wanting to be the bad guy this puts me off from making any comments.
It's a difficult situation because there are lots of players here all at different stages of their learning but saying that something is fantastic when it clearly isn't doesn't help the original poster get any better.
Mark,

I have to say that if 10 people before you have done nothing but say "Great job," and you withhold some constructive criticism because of that, you're denying the poster the benefit of your observations and expertise. I've been in the situation here where I'm the only one to suggest how someone's playing can be improved, and if people want to perceive that as unsupportive or rude, then so be it. As a writer, and as someone whose work has been evaluated by literally hundreds of people, I can tell you that the greatest gift you can give someone is to take the time to help them make their work even better than it already is. That's not to say that you don't also say "Great job," but that you also provide helpful observations.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic