Trouble with Campfire song

frybaby

Wed May 11, 2011 10:55 am

I love the campfire songs, and have learned may of my favorites, in fact my repertoire has greatly increased since I been visiting TG.

My problem is this… I play, exclusively for my own entertainment, and since the song I’ve learn are all time favorites, I cant help but sing along while playing.

Here in lies the problem. I have a terrible voice, I can’t carry a tune in bucket, but hey, since it only me I sing away (occasionally my wife will pop in to make sure I an not being tortured.)

Now that I know many more song I really want to play for friend and company that drop by, but who want to here songs after song just strummed, and if I start caterwauling,… we’ll I embarrass self and family and friends. (I’ve done it a few time anyway, a couple of glasses of Cab.(Rodney Strong to be exact))

So, I’m just wondering if anybody else has the same dilemma, namely loving to play, and really wanting to play for others, but holding back because of poor vocal abilities.
I know I could take singing lessons, but then Target membership would be ever further away.

I know I can learn chord melody… and believe me I am working on it, but it takes so much longer, and after a bout a week or so… with a campfire songs I ready for the big time, or should I say Big Top.

Well there it is.
Frybaby.

neverfoundthetime

Wed May 11, 2011 11:21 am

Frybaby, can you team up with someone who likes to sing? The energy won by playing with someone else is amazing it is more than 1+1 =2. It's at least a 3 if not more. I can sing a bit but when I've had someone join in who really knows how to blend and harmonise... wow! It's absolutely a knock-out. Many people like to sing but can't play the songs.

frybaby

Wed May 11, 2011 11:41 am

Great suggestion, thank you!

Music Junkie

Wed May 11, 2011 1:09 pm

Frybaby:

I kind of fit right into your description there as well. I am a "living room rocker", so to speak. I play mostly or my enjoyment and relaxation. I may daydream about playing a gig at a local bar some day, but the reality is that I could not carry a note if it was strapped to my back, and the fear would be paralyzing for me. Hell, I get embarrassed when I try to sing and play while my family is in the house with me.... :silly:

I have really thought about laying down some guitar tracks and having a friend sing over them, or having a friend just sing while I play. Either way, it would HAVE to be an improvement over my current situation..... ;)

J

Hydroman52

Wed May 11, 2011 2:09 pm

I agree with the others. Get someone to sing for/with you. I didn't have to do any singing until just recently and it seemed to work for me. Be sure to tune your guitar (or at least check it) frequently. If you are out of tune, it can make even a good singer sound mediocre.

willem

Wed May 11, 2011 4:31 pm

Hi, I agree with the others,,team up and try to find someone who loves to sing,,it must be songs that you both love,,,in time try sing along too,,,when you love to sing just don't give up and keep trying,,try to get some knowledge a baut technick,,breathing and such,,maybe your bad voice(your words),comes by a wrong use of technick,,it begins by good breath(low in the belly) and relax the jaw,,that sad i must try it my self again,,

BigBear

Wed May 11, 2011 5:36 pm

FB- I'm right there with you in the vocally challenged department. A couple of ideas that are nothing earthshattering but may help:

1. Learn to use the capo!!! The capo is a poor singer's best friend. If you have a poor vocal ability you probably sing scared, which means you sing tight, which means you really restrict the range of notes you can hit. Therefore, the song you are trying to sing must be exactly in your vocal range or you're screwed!

2. Never sing "cold turkey" if you can help it. Always warm up and expecially loosen up your neck and shoulders. There are specific exercises for this posted all over the web.

3. Take singing lessons!! I'm not kidding. I took some lessons and learned more in a few weeks than I thought possible. Singing is way more technical than most people think and there are many "tricks of the trade". I hope to take singing lessons again soon.

4. Fear, IMHO, is the single biggest barrier to singing. The only way to overcome fear is just do it. Over and over again in front of people. The more I sing, the less afraid I am. As my confidence grows so does the quality of my voice.

5. Always record yourself when you practice. My voice teacher made me do this and OMG were there terrible noises on those tapes! Absoutely embarrassing. But over a few weeks they weren't as bad.

6. Set goals to expand your vocal range. My goal with the high note in the chorus of Nights in White Satin," ...because I love you, yes I love you...". At first there was no chance. Now I don't even think about hitting it.

7. Just let yourself go and sing!! Singing is natural and should be fun. It shouldn't strinke fear in our hearts but it does. Very few people are natural singers and have perfect pitch. Most of us have to work for it. So make it something fun and something you look forward to doing.

8. Start small. Sing to family members, then friends, then campfires, all the while building confidence!

There is no magic bullet but I'm convinced I can at least become serviceable as a singer. I'm never going to be the lead singer for Journey but so what?

Good luck buddy! :cheer:

BigBear

Wed May 11, 2011 6:14 pm

Frybaby

(Your name makes me hungry for tater tots!)

BigBear is so spot on about the recording. I've had voice lessons from three teachers and all said the same thing. I learned to make a recording, put it up for a week, play the original and then play mine. Yes, it hurts like a booger-bear, but it will teach you.

Have you considered going to--dare I say the word?--Karaoke some night and singing in front of a crowd? They're all drunk anyway and they'll cheer like you're Steven Tyler. My first song was "For the Good Times" by Ray Price, written by Kristoffersen. I'll never forget it.

Sing in front of a large mirror. Strange at it sounds, your reflection will intimidate you.

@Music Junkie

I'll take you up on that laying down tracks thing. 'Course, what I sing you may prefer not to play. I'd welcome honest feedback on my voice. That is darned hard to come by. Few will say, "Sam, that really needs work!" They usually tell it you was great.

How to tell if you are fairly good..............

Again, I speak from the Karaoke standpoint. When the crowd shuts up and turns toward you, you're pretty good. When the dance floor fills up when you sing "Wonderful Tonight", you're pretty good. When you sing, "Can You Feel the Love Tonight?" to a room full of gay men and they all dance--and more--you're pretty good. Especially if you're an old, straight guy!

Sorry for the rambling. The wife is out and the dogs are asleep.

Good on you people!

Sam

frybaby

Thu May 12, 2011 11:55 am

It's funny singing in front of a mirror was mentioned. I got curious about exactly I Its funny singing in front of a mirror was mentioned. I got curious about what I look like while singing, just in case it every happened.

Now I have two reasons not to sing in font of folks.

I looked so darned goofy I embarrassed myself.

Then it made me remember that I has in the pasts seen some music video by armatures on YouTube, and I remember thinking even though the person voice was good, they just did not look right singing the song.

I watched Neil Young singing only castles burning on a video, his facial expressions seemed, his whole persona, just seemed right, and added to the experience.

Then I tried it, and even though I could play the song and sing it- not to well , but perhaps good enough to sing in front of a bunch of drunks at a karaoke bar with out getting pelted with shot glasses, but it just did not look right some how. Plus, the mirror has never been the same.

How do they do it… professionals that is manage to look so natural. It’s got to be more than just being comfortable performing, cause I was comfortable in my bedroom in from of my mirror.

If I ever get up the nerve to sing for people...I am wearing sunglasses.
or perhaps one of those mask that have glasses with the bushy eyebrows, big nose and mustache.

willem

Thu May 12, 2011 12:09 pm

ahahahah,,your funny,,but sometimes you must make a funny face to hit that note,,singin makes very often an funny face/mouth..

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic