Trouble with Campfire song

sws626

Thu May 12, 2011 12:13 pm

frybaby wrote:

How do they do it… professionals that is manage to look so natural. It’s got to be more than just being comfortable performing, cause I was comfortable in my bedroom in from of my mirror.
In addition to having talent, it is their life, they want to be good at it, and they put in the work it takes to make that happen. No big secret, really.

dennisg

Thu May 12, 2011 12:38 pm

As someone who sings in all of his videos, I can tell you that it's not easy watching myself on the screen. So I don't. Other people tell me I look fine and that I seem relaxed, but to me I look like a raving doofus. That's the thing: other people aren't seeing me the way I see myself.

No matter how I perceive my own abilities, I keep this one thought in mind: I don't give a damn what other people think of my singing. I'm going to do it anyway -- at karaoke bars, at open-mic nights, at parties with friends, with my wife, and by myself.

I'd suggest you quit looking in mirrors and start recording yourself. Sit down with a little audio recorder, play three different notes on the guitar, then try to duplicate those notes with your voice. Play it back. When you're satisfied with the results, play a series of three other notes. Rinse. Repeat. You'll not only get practice in using your voice to mimic pre-defined notes, but doing it successfully will help to build your confidence in your ability to tackle more difficult vocal tasks.

tovo

Thu May 12, 2011 1:34 pm

dennisg wrote:
Other people tell me I look fine and that I seem relaxed, but to me I look like a raving doofus. That's the thing: other people aren't seeing me the way I see myself.
I do......

frybaby

Thu May 12, 2011 3:31 pm

The suggestions have been very helpful, thanks everyone who chimed in.

It's good to know I have a shared experience.

A few more comments if I may.

I've thought about singing lessons, but I always figured those who taught had plenty of formal training and would pass that type of information on, and I don’t wasn’t to sing like an opera singer, with a trained voice. I wonder if guys like Neil Young, Bob Dylan , Paul Simon and others who have a more natural sounding (what I would consider untrained voice) worked hard to develop their voices?

I learned some song my wife liked and tried to play while she sang(she has a very good voice) but we could never find the right key ( I want to sing along and always seemed to be different key( if you can call it a key) even with a capo it took forever to get it right for at least one of us.
We even tried video taping our “performance” ... couldn’t watch the play back always the way through, and couldn’t erase it fast enough.

I tried to convincer her I was singing harmony, but no dice.

Then too I was always correcting her on the lyrics. She's always been more concerned with the melody than word so she make up her own word, or get the lyrics out of order.
It drove me nuts then I drove her nuts correcting he. now wont sing with me any more ( I guess that’s more of a personal problem.

But thanks again, I will try some of the suggestion, alone, away from any mirrors, but with sunglasses on just incase come one walks in.

Well there it is.
Frybaby

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic