Woodshedding Buddy Holly

sws626

Wed May 11, 2011 11:20 am

We have several threads going now where people are discussing topics like:

When is it time to post a song for review?
How should we post work in progress?
Why does my Fm7 chord shape not sound clean when I'm capo'd on the 5th fret?
What's really the difference between alternate and cross picking?

The first two threads suggest that, while the student video section and the busking section offer great places to upload full songs we've already got under our belt, to some degree, there's a gap for getting feedback on less polished or less complete work.

And the last threads are representative of a lot of questions that are quite difficult to answer without any visual or audio clues.

So I thought it might not be a bad idea to propose a new section focusing on work in progress, techniques we are struggling with, or problems that are difficult to describe in words.

Rather than just make the suggestion, I thought it might be more constructive to take the first step into the pond.

-Stuart

This video is still processing, so you may have to check back in an hour or so...

[video][/video]

sws626

Wed May 11, 2011 12:43 pm

Bump...
The video is up now.

neverfoundthetime

Wed May 11, 2011 12:44 pm

Hi Stuart, you have grabbed the idea by the horns and made a very good example of we can ask for specific input on a song in this video. I like the style of the whole thing, being invited into your Cambridgeshire "barn" to sit in with you.

My in put: At 5.28 ... the "or this" version works better for me. It just has more zest.
It's sounding pretty cool al round so I'm looking forward to the release!

dennisg

Wed May 11, 2011 2:20 pm

Stuart,

I think this is an absolutely terrific idea. Posting a particular passage or phrase or even a single measure that we're having a problem with (or can't understand) has the potential to be very helpful. My only issue is the length of the videos. I'm far more inclined to watch something that's 2 or 3 minutes long than I am something that's 7 minutes long. If you have multiple issues to cover, I'd rather see multiple videos rather than one long one. And I think you'd get far more responses, too, if you limited each video to one brief issue.

mark

Wed May 11, 2011 2:49 pm

I hope to be able to watch this again when I've got more time.

The triplets sounded better with a DUD repeated over and over - at least to my ears

sws626

Wed May 11, 2011 3:21 pm

Hi Mark, Chris & Dennis,

Thanks for your feedback. I think these kinds of uploads should typically be much shorter than the full songs -- I did a lot of talking in this one, and could have just focused on one passage; but I'm really more interested in kicking off the idea than I am expecting that everyone would sit through all 7 1/2 minutes.

Thanks for your observations on the DUD UDU DUD UDU v. DUD DUD DUD DUD section. Until I played it for the camera, I hadn't ever been able to do the latter convincingly.

-Stuart

willem

Wed May 11, 2011 3:45 pm

Stuart,,just great to give the start/shot of an super idea,,you are not really the first one i think Tony tryed before an showed his problem with something but never the less this must be the way 'cos these are question that need audio,,for me i would need to see tab too for understanding what you mean on the triplets,,,but oke ,,what i heard by ear i am with Chris i think...

PS it would be great too that you inspired the master and maybe he can come in too...

suziko

Wed May 11, 2011 3:48 pm

That was a good idea, Stuart. I agree that in the future, shorter is better, but it was clear from your video that you were spending some time setting up the idea of "woodshedding" (not a term I have ever heard before!) songs.

I thought the triplets sounded best played the first way, which I think was DUD UDU DUD UDU. Just my opinion.

Otherwise, I really thought the solo and the ending sounded nice as they were. Wish I could give you more constructive feedback.

I'm looking forward to seeing a finished version of this song, with you singing!

suzi

daryl

Wed May 11, 2011 3:54 pm

Stuart, To fill out the solo part you could try to play bass notes at the same time. This is really really hard to do. But if you get that technique down (thumb independence) a whole ton of possibilities open up. Here is a video of what I'm talking about (the specific part starts at 04:39 and ends at 05:05):

sws626

Wed May 11, 2011 4:22 pm

Thanks Daryl. That was a truly entertaining video. Aside from the 10,000 other things he does there that are worth learning, the one you point out is definitely something I'd like to try.

Willem, yes I hope this catches on. But I'll keep doing it from time to time -- with shorter videos -- even if it doesn't. I'll see if I can write transcribe what I mean in the triplet section.

Suzi, there will be singing in the finished version. Though, after watching that Tommy Emmanuel video, it may be a long time before I upload anything I'd venture to call "finished."

-Stuart

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic