Learning one song led to another........

Music Junkie

Fri May 13, 2011 2:36 pm

My response to Tony's thread......

This has happened to me a few times now that I have dug deeper into this guitar world of ours.

I was learning the chords to an old song by Blue Oyster Cult called "In Thee", off of their album entitled Mirrors.

While playing through the initial chords (A / E / D) and fumbling around with the strum pattern I noticed something familiar, but I could not quite place it. As I kept playing, it finally hit me.....!

"Jack and Diane" by John Cougar Mellencamp from his album American Fool

Same chords (A / E / D) in the intro.

The chords I am playing are:
A: played with index finger on 2nd string at 5th fret, middle finger on 3rd string at 6th fret and ring finger on 4th string at 7th fret
D: played as an inversion with the index finger on the 3rd string at 2nd fret, middle finger on 2nd string 3rd fret and the ring finger on 4th string 4th fret.
E: played same as D only slide it up two frets.

Now, all this did was add to the already insurmountable list of songs that I am working on, but it ended up being a fun night of practice.....

has this happened to you? If so....

1. What song were you working on?
2. What song did it lead you to?
3. What were the chords?

Jason

Craig

Fri May 13, 2011 4:09 pm

Hey Jason!

I had one of those moments not too long ago when I was working on "While My Guitar Gently weeps".
The first line is:

Am Am/G D9/F F

Then I realized I was playing "Babe I'm Going to Leave You"

Am C/G D9/F F (E)

Although not exactly the same, I had a similar feeling when looking at "Mr. Bojangles" and "City of New Orleans".

Craig

Music Junkie

Fri May 13, 2011 6:21 pm

That's a great example.

I know that this is nothing rare, but it is just funny how it hits you sometimes..... B)

Another one for me was while I was playing through "These Days" by Jackson Browne. The descending progression: C - C/B - Am - Am/G - F is used in "Thrasher" by Neil Young. So that led to learning another great song by Mr. Young. Actually quite an easy song to play...... I love it when this happens..... Although I do get sidetracked pretty easy, I love the idea that my song base just keeps growing...... :)

J

lueders

Fri May 13, 2011 6:49 pm

Jason, COOL THREAD IDEA, DUDE!

While we're talking about Mellencamp...and that A-E-D Thing...
(If a person can play those three chords you can play half of Mellencamp's tunes. lol!)

I'll bring up another of his tunes that sound like bunch of others: "ROCK IN THE USA"

The Vamp: E-A-D...D-A-E is the same as the Romantics: "What I like About You" and Neil Diamond's "Cherry-Cherry"
( All practically identical.lol!) I realize the point of ROCK n the USA was to glorify three chord sixties bands so he was
going for that sound but is still kinda cool...

Music Junkie

Fri May 13, 2011 11:58 pm

Cori:

After listening to all three of these, I am surprised that I have never noticed the similarities before. That was a very cool example. It is amazing what just changing up a strum pattern and mixing up a measure or two will do for you! Thanks for adding these. There are a few others I noticed a while back, but I'll need to jog the old fuzz closet first..... :laugh:

Cheers!

J

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic