Gee it's quiet around here. What's everyone up to?

mark

Wed May 18, 2011 1:46 pm

I've made a conscious effort to stop learning new stuff.
Instead I've tried to concentrate on stuff I already know and relearning I had let drop.

I've had a bit of fun trying to put together a medley of a load of random riffs I know.

On a personal note, I managed to be made redundant and thankfully find a new job in the last couple of months.

tovo

Wed May 18, 2011 2:17 pm

Hey Shel.

I think the video posts tend to come in fits and starts. Often there are very few for a week and then the next there are several. It ebbs and flows I guess.

I have been sick the last couple of days with the flu. Bad for work....good for playing! Off to Indonesia at the end of next week. Not my favourite place in the World but that's life eh?

Hope all is good in Sydney.

haoli25

Wed May 18, 2011 3:03 pm

Sorry, Michele, I can't tell you. It's a secret. I also deny any rumors of my actions. And furthermore, I completely deny that I just denied it. :)

Bill

sbutler

Wed May 18, 2011 4:15 pm

Michele, well for me, I'm still getting up at 1am, and heading out every morning to deliver much needed subsistance pepsi , frozen pizza, and snow machines to the natives in the Bush. Actually, we swapped the snowgo's for quads since it is spring.

I had to dodge a moose on the road yesterday morning going to work. 3 more right at the International Airport in Anchorage on the way home. So It keeps a driver on his/her toes.

1 am is pretty early, but (and its a BIG But) I leave town, go straight to the gym for an hour or two. Come home, grab a nap, and I get to practice my guitar until bedtime (which is way to early in the afternoon, since its now staying light until 11pm).

But I do get a lot of hiking, and playing time by getting my work done so early in the day.

Scott

michelew

Wed May 18, 2011 4:43 pm

Thanks for responding everyone. Busy lives indeed.

I often find it hard to get the time I want and need to play guitar and wondered how you sweet folks squeeze it into your busy lives. I'm not even looking after kids anymore. My little girl is all grown up; that's her in my profile picture. Actually, I'm hoping she'll jump on the TG bandwagon soon. I gave her my Yamaha on the weekend and pointed her at the TG beginners' course. Internet time is an issue but I'm hoping she'll get the bug.

We've had a change of Government here in my state and work is getting busy as a consequence. It's damn cold, the coldest Autumn for a long time, we're even getting snow in the hills we call our Blue Mountains. And well most Aussie homes are designed for the heat not the cold so heating is inefficient and best done by shutting up most of the house and heating a single space. So my guitar room misses out, last night I did practice with a blanket on my lap, but playing with cold hands is the pits. So I'm spending more time huddled under a warm blanket in front of the tele in the heated lounge room and much less in my chilly guitar room. Then there's spending time with Sue, catching up with people a little in person and by correspondence, chores and all the things that the fairies don't do. Basically not enough hours in the day for all the things you need and then want to do.

I think Chris has jinxed me because when I am playing I bounce all over the place. I seem to have a bad case of marshmallow syndrome. I start learning a song, get about 1/2 through and then get distracted by the next pretty. It's fun, but not great for expanding my repertoire or confidence. I'm currently working on 'Sister Golden Hair', previously, 'Wanted:Dead or Alive", 'Stray Cat Strut' and about a million things. I tried to refresh some stuff too.

MJ - no wonder you're getting excited, your camping trips always sound fantastic and like a type of spiritual retreat, a great way to recharge. I'm dead envious.

Daryl - what a busy man YOU are. It's a wonder that you get any time to play guitar at all.

Craig - thank the Goddess we have people like you who are dedicated and put so much energy into teaching our kids what they need to allow them to become independent, productive members or our communities and to find their place in the world. I'm guessing you'll enjoy the holidays when they come.

Willem - rain is good too after your warm Spring. Time in the garden is always fun, I need to do that more too. You're a brave man for playing at your friend's party by yourself.

Stuart - yep, all the usual stuff sure does take time out of your guitar playing day. Good luck with the crises. I'm looking forward to hearing your posts.

Suzi - holidays sound like mixed blessings. How is the plan to get Emma playing the Ukulele going?

Dennis - I really enjoyed reading your thread last year and finding out what everyone was up to, so I thought I'd take a leaf from your book. We can't be on the forum all the time and it's nice to compare notes about our busy lives.

Chas - good luck with the job hunting, gee if it's cold here it must be bloody freezing in NZ.

Mark - I hope you got a good redundancy package for the stress, I'm glad to hear that you've found something else. I hope you enjoy your new job.

Tony - sorry to hear you've been sick mate. But the guitar therapy is good for the flu I hear. :) have fun in Indonesia.

Bill - I understand. :) I'll burn this iPad now that I've read your not note. Hmmm... Maybe I should eat it instead. No... Drink myself into a stupor. ... Hmmmm I forget already. What were we talking about?

Thanks again for sharing what you're all up to at the moment.

Michele

michelew

Wed May 18, 2011 5:25 pm

sbutler wrote:
Michele, well for me, I'm still getting up at 1am, and heading out every morning to deliver much needed subsistance pepsi , frozen pizza, and snow machines to the natives in the Bush. Actually, we swapped the snowgo's for quads since it is spring.

I had to dodge a moose on the road yesterday morning going to work. 3 more right at the International Airport in Anchorage on the way home. So It keeps a driver on his/her toes.

1 am is pretty early, but (and its a BIG But) I leave town, go straight to the gym for an hour or two. Come home, grab a nap, and I get to practice my guitar until bedtime (which is way to early in the afternoon, since its now staying light until 11pm).

But I do get a lot of hiking, and playing time by getting my work done so early in the day.

Scott

Scott, you snuck in while I was typing my novel above. It must be all those early morning missions you go on to deliver the stuff of life. You sure do live a different life from most of us. I'd love to visit your part of the world sometime, before all the glaciers melt. It sounds amazing.

M.

neverfoundthetime

Wed May 18, 2011 5:33 pm

My 12 string is tuned to open C which is narrowing my choice of practice nicely so I can focus on QUESTION and Musicophillia is lying besides my recliner right now too... although I first read it 2 years ago. Now I am off to bed as I have to be at the national sport school at 8 AM and it's a 2 hour trip....

michelew

Wed May 18, 2011 5:46 pm

Well Musicophillia is obviously secret Northern -Hemisphere's business because we in Australia are not allowed to view it. Distribution boundaries suck!

But, I am persistent.

M.

sbutler

Wed May 18, 2011 6:25 pm

michelew wrote:
sbutler wrote:

Scott

Scott, you snuck in while I was typing my novel above. It must be all those early morning missions you go on to deliver the stuff of life. You sure do live a different life from most of us. I'd love to visit your part of the world sometime, before all the glaciers melt. It sounds amazing.

M.
Yeah Michele, I'm sneaky like that. As for seeing Alaska, I may consider a trade. I'd love to see what "Down Under" looks like. After all, I have seen Russia from "Up Over". I am baby sitting a truck and pull behind travel trailer for one of your fellow Auzzie's, and I have an open invitaion if I could ever just take a couple weeks to do it. One problem is I spend 4 or 5 hours a day sitting in an airplane. 17 to get there doesn't turn my crank .

Scott

willem

Thu May 19, 2011 4:30 am

Michele that ''stray cat strut'' must keep you warm,,,it would be awesome to learn..

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic