Crosby & Nash Concert

MarkM

Sun May 22, 2011 11:05 am

Hi all. I went to the Crosby Nash concert in Portland ME last night and it was fantastic. I've seen these guys with Stills and with Young at least a dozen times and have to say that last night had to have been the best as far as quality goes. They were singing and playing on a level that I haven't seen from them before. Outstanding. The band consisted of Crosby's son playing keyboards and adding harmonies, the bass player was from the Jackson Brown Band and the lead guitarist was from Steeley Dan. Anyway I don't have much time to write as I have laundry list of chores but wanted to let you know that if you have Directv and get the HDNet channel they are playing live tonight at 7:30PM EST from CT. Go and record it and you won't be dissatisfied. They played for just over 3 hours last night. Can you believe that???

Here is the set list from last night. Also if you get a chance to see them live you can buy the concert mix from the board. They give you a USB with the whole thing for 40 bucks.

8 MILES HIGH
I USED TO BE A KING
WASTED ON THE WAY
LONG TIME GONE
LAY ME DOWN
LEE SHORE
JUST A SONG
SLICE OF TIME
DON'T DIG HERE
CRITICAL MASS-WIND ON THE WATER
COWBOY MOVIE
MARRAKESH EXPRESS
DEJA VU
SIMPLE MAN
GUINNEVERE
IN YOUR NAME
WHAT ARE THE NAMES
THEY WANT IT ALL
JESUS OF RIO
DREAM FOR HIM
ORLEANS-CATHEDRAL
OUR HOUSE
MILITARY MADNESS
ALMOST CUT MY HAIR
WOODEN SHIPS
TEACH YOUR CHILDREN

MarkM

skaladar

Sun May 22, 2011 12:51 pm

MarkM wrote:
...... if you have Directv and get the HDNet channel they are playing live tonight at 7:30PM EST from CT. Go and record it and you won't be dissatisfied ...... They played for just over 3 hours last night. Can you believe that???

MarkM
Hiya Mark,

That’s must have been a great concert. I wish I was there. Of course I wasn’t but thanks to your heads-up about it I will be able to see (and record) it. I don’t have DirectTV, I have DishNetwork which also carries HDNET and the programming seems the same so I guess it doesn’t matter who your provider is as long as you get HDNET. In looking over their days programming it appears they are having a very musical day. In fact the Crosby-Nash concert will be aired twice, once at 7:30 PM and again at 12:15 AM. For anyone interested and who does have access there are a few other notable specials being aired today/tomorrow as follows:

Peter Frampton Live in Detroit - From the Pine Knob Amphitheater. 3:25 PM - 5:15 PM Original Date May 9, 2002

James Taylor: One Man Band - The artist performs his greatest hits. 5:15 PM - 7:30 PM Original Date April 25, 2010

Crosby-Nash: In Concert - David Crosby and Graham Nash perform during their 'Another Stoney Evening' tour. 7:30 PM - 10:30 PM Original Date May 22, 2011

John Fogerty: The Long Road Home - John Fogerty performs Creedence Clearwater Revival hits as well as his own solo work. 10:30 PM - 12:15 AM Original Date June 1, 2006

Moody Blues - The band performs in Los Angeles; songs include 'Lean on Me,' 'Higher and Higher' and 'Nights in White Satin.' 5:00 AM - 6:00 AM Original Date July 8, 2007

Thanks again for the tip Mark, now all I have to do is make room on my DVR for all of this :-)

♫ Ken ♫

sbutler

Sun May 22, 2011 2:50 pm

Thanks Mark. That must have been awsome.

I have to admit, I do get a little home sick for the Midwest when I hear of shows like this. We don't get much in the way of my type of rock shows up here in the Great White North.

Scott

MarkM

Sun May 22, 2011 3:13 pm

Had a few minutes to spare here so I figured I'd add a bit. I was amazed at the amount of guitars that were being used at this show. Between Nash and Crosby they must have used in excess of 15 guitars. Bunch of Martins and Gibsons for them on the acoustic side. Tele's and Strats on the electic side from what I could tell. When the lead guitarist used acoustic he played an all Koa Taylor I believe. The sound quality was superb. I downloaded the concert off the USB key and then listened to in my car today. For a quick recording on their part it was really high quality. I guess that's what bands are doing today. Another thing that was pretty cool was the banter that Nash and Crosby had with the audience. They were outright funny. Case in point. The start of the show, just before 8 Miles High, you heard these musical notes that we have all heard before. After about the 3rd song was over you hear them laughing on stage and Nash goes into this story about how they were watching this really great movie on the bus on the way to the show and just had to start the concert off this way. The movie was Close Encounters of the Third Kind. I guess it was a "had to be there" moment. Anyway it was a great show and I hope you have a chance to see the live performance on HDNet tonight.

MarkM

haoli25

Sun May 22, 2011 7:24 pm

Thanks, Mark. I am watching it now. Great music! I also noticed that Graham Nash has no shoes and David Crosby has MOOBS. :laugh:

Bill

sbutler

Sun May 22, 2011 11:39 pm

Mark, when you said the lead guitar player was from Steely Dan, do you mean Walter Becker?

I saw Steely Dan at Sandstone amphitheater in KC a long time ago. The next day, I was at work in the Country Club Plaza (an upper end shopping district) and my project just happened to be across from the Ritz Carlton, which is where a lot of the entertainers stayed while in KC.

Anyway, lunch time rolled around, I headed off to a spot a few blocks away to get a sandwich, I turned a corner (in a lot of walking traffic) and ran (literally) smak into Walter Becker. Nobody on the street knew who he was but me. I shook his hand and told him the show last night was great. He said thanks and we both kept walking.

Come to think of it, I shook his hand and NONE of that great guitar stuff rubbed off. I think I got ripped off.

Music Junkie

Mon May 23, 2011 9:44 am

Mark:

Congrats on the concert! Would love to have been there.

I am laughing this morning, cause I just happened to stumble upon the HDNet concert last might and watched a bit of it. Good stuff. What a selection of guitars on that stage!

MJ

BobR

Mon May 23, 2011 11:40 am

Mark,

Sounds like a great time. Wished I could have gone.

Bob

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic