What if you couldn't play?

tovo

Tue May 24, 2011 1:18 am

I used to be a long-distance runner. Through injury I am reduced to a daily walk instead. I miss running very much.

What if, through injury or some other occurrence (I can't imagine what but it doesn't really matter) you could no longer play? Not at all.

How would that affect you?

The motivation for my thread is that periodically people post of their struggle with motivation which is entirely understandable. I wondered if it may help to consider a situation where you didn't have the option to pick up your guitar.

What would that mean to you?

cosmicmechanic

Tue May 24, 2011 1:29 am

Hi Tony,
Why couldn't I play guitar? Got my arm cut off ? Can't see anymore ?
I'll have to think about it some, but I remember a time when I hoped to be able to give the following type of answer to all of life's challenges

"Moonshadow", by Cat Stevens

Oh, I'm bein' followed by a moonshadow, moonshadow, moonshadow
Leapin and hoppin' on a moonshadow, moonshadow, moonshadow

And if I ever lose my hands, lose my plough, lose my land,
Oh if I ever lose my hands, Oh if.... I won't have to work no more.
And if I ever lose my eyes, if my colours all run dry,
Yes if I ever lose my eyes, Oh if.... I won't have to cry no more.

Oh I'm bein' followed by a moonshadow, moonshadow, moonshadow
Leapin' and hoppin' on a moonshadow, moonshadow, moonshadow

And if I ever lose my legs, I won't moan, and I won't beg,
Yes if I ever lose my legs, Oh if.... I won't have to walk no more.
And if I ever lose my mouth, all my teeth, north and south,
Yes if I ever lose my mouth, Oh if.... I won't have to talk...

Did it take long to find me? I asked the faithful light.
Did it take long to find me? And are you gonna stay the night?

Peace !
Pierre

willem

Tue May 24, 2011 1:49 am

I am very carefull with dangerous tools,,i try to do things in the middle(medium),,if you look at it i think you get to most fun out of it,,if i could'nt pickup my guitar i would be very sad 'cos i want to do this for my years to go..

AndyT

Tue May 24, 2011 5:10 am

I think I love Pierre's answer. As much as it would pain me, I'd still have to find something good about it. That's just how I am. Or how I try to be anyway...

neverfoundthetime

Tue May 24, 2011 5:55 am

I had to laugh at Pierre's post... it's the best answer out there.

Well, I'd be seriously peed-off. If I could still sing I'd be asking my TG friends to lay down some cool guitar tracks for me and I'd sing to them and I'd find someone who needed a singer to play for.

tvarga

Tue May 24, 2011 6:31 am

Sadly, I may soon be able to tell you from experience. :(
I woke up 4 weeks ago with bad pain shooting down my right arm but figured that it go away soon.
After a week, I went to the doctor, got an MRI and found out that I have 2 herniated disks in my neck.
I've since had a steroid injection into my backbone and unfortunately that didn't help much.
Now I'm starting to lose strength in my right arm and it's beginning to affect my playing. I'm really worried now.
My two passions in life are bicycling and guitar playing. I haven't ridden in a month and now I feel at serious risk of losing guitar too.
I'm beginning to think that surgery is in my future.

Oh well, sorry to be a downer ... but you did ask. Maybe I should've put this into the '50 something' thread instead? :)
-Tom

pbraun

Tue May 24, 2011 7:16 am

Tom, I hope everything goes well for you, sounds very painful. I read the post that Tammy made about the get together and she mentioned it. Hope they can get things figured out for you.
Peter

neverfoundthetime

Tue May 24, 2011 7:52 am

Tom, I really hope you can get yourself the best expert advice on this. Disc problems can be a real bitch and so high up makes it worse. There should be options open to you though and the quicker the better to reduce possible nerve damage. I really hope things go well for you, Tom, don't wait!

dennisg

Tue May 24, 2011 8:22 am

If I couldn't play anymore, I'd send my guitar to Michele in Australia who's always lusted for a Taylor 814. And I'd at least be happy that whatever misfortune I've experienced that would bring about this situation could result in someone else having a dream fulfilled. I'd miss guitar playing, but I'd be more concerned about all the other things that would have to end due to my infirmity -- like throwing a ball for my dog.

Tom, I'm also a cyclist and part-time guitarist, and I have a huge amount of sympathy for your situation. I hope that you can get it resolved quickly and completely so that you can once again enjoy these two great hobbies.

dennisg

Tue May 24, 2011 8:29 am

Good people............

Oh, what a question! I have been pondering it for weeks now.

I joined Target for a month and then dropped out. My rheumatoid arthritis has made it virtually impossible for me to throw my right arm over my guitar. Funny that it would hurt just lying there, but it does. I have had my left joint replaced and it is pretty much OK. See, I hate to sign up for a year and then have to quit the guitar. I am working on alternate methods of holding it, but it is hard to do.

Here in Oklahoma we have had a Spring like none I remember in my 64 years. Cool and dry; very little rain. I hope the low pressure systems are the cause.

I am rubbing on horse liniment and it really helps. Last night on the walk, I ate a patch out of my neighbor's lawn, but that's another story.

Sam

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic