What if you couldn't play?

AcousticAl

Tue May 24, 2011 8:29 am

tvarga wrote:
Sadly, I may soon be able to tell you from experience. :(
I woke up 4 weeks ago with bad pain shooting down my right arm but figured that it go away soon.
After a week, I went to the doctor, got an MRI and found out that I have 2 herniated disks in my neck.
I've since had a steroid injection into my backbone and unfortunately that didn't help much.
Now I'm starting to lose strength in my right arm and it's beginning to affect my playing. I'm really worried now.
My two passions in life are bicycling and guitar playing. I haven't ridden in a month and now I feel at serious risk of losing guitar too.
I'm beginning to think that surgery is in my future.

Oh well, sorry to be a downer ... but you did ask. Maybe I should've put this into the '50 something' thread instead? :)
-Tom

Tom- that's terrible! I know we talked about this at our gathering- And I know you had hopes for this injection.
I'm so bummed that it didn't help you. Please keep us posted.

Back pain SUCKS!! And you're way too nice a guy (and talented player!) to go through this.

dennisg

Tue May 24, 2011 9:23 am

@ Tom

Brother, I know what it's like to have chronic pain. My heart goes out to you. Sometimes surgery is the only option. Not fun, but the rewards can be well worth the misery.

Let me give you the exact words my doctor gave me before my shoulder surgery: You can suffer for a few years and then do it or do it now and get on with your life.

Just food for thought from one who's been there.

Good wishes......

Samster

MarkM

Tue May 24, 2011 9:41 am

Tom that really sucks. I can't put it in any plainer terms than that. As we discussed I have a friend going through the same thing and he's getting the surgey. I hope you and your doctor figure out the best way to manage this.

MarkM

Music Junkie

Tue May 24, 2011 10:07 am

Tony:

First off, I would be very sad. Playing the guitar has become such a great part of my life. It has brought me here and introduced me to some wonderful people. If I could not play, I would probably still keep my membership here just to stay in touch with the fine folks. Depending on the reason for my loss of playing ability, I am sure I would throw myself into something else and be o.k. though. Roll with the changes and all.... B)

@Tom: Sorry to hear about your injury. Suffering from Spina Bifida Occulta and the early onset of Arthritis in my back, I understand what back pain can do. So far, I have been lucky that exercise has kept me feeling good. I go through spouts though that can be quite debilitating and painful. I truly hope you and your doctor can find some treatment to get you back in shape. I know that great strides have been made in this field and that there are many more options open today than there were only 10yrs ago. Chris is right about getting it handled sooner rather than later. I hope you are back on that cycle before too long and that your playing continues. Get better soon!

J

millponddave

Tue May 24, 2011 5:03 pm

I think that although I would be pretty bummed out I would try to focus on the other things in my life that I enjoy. Some things you can't do anything about so it doesn't make sense to dwell on them.

Dave

suziko

Tue May 24, 2011 5:30 pm

Tony- great question and one I've pondered in the past. I think if something like that happened, it would affect my life so much in so many other ways, that losing the ability to play guitar would probably seem pretty minor. Could I still hug my daughter? Garden? Ride a bike? Cook? All the things I love to do that require the use of arms. It would be a difficult experience to say the least, but I hope I would find a way to get past it and to try to find other ways to enjoy life. I'd find other hobbies to occupy my time. Heck, maybe I'd finally learn to play that harmonica I bought! All I'd need for that would be a neck stand! But, yes, of course it would difficult. I love playing my guitar and I hope very much it will be companion for the rest of my life.

Tom- like others before me, I want to say how sorry I am to hear about your health issues, and to wish you a VERY speedy recovery. You'll be in my thoughts.

Suzi

lueders

Tue May 24, 2011 6:04 pm

Tom, that is a MAJOR BUMMER!!..."sucks," sounds better but that was taken...I hope this turns out to be one of those things that is treatable. You're too good of a guitar player to have this happen. Besides, who else could churn out the Neil Hogan arrangements as a rapidly as you?

Anyways, I will: cross my fingers, think positive thoughts, and hope for the best...

Lavallee

Tue May 24, 2011 6:06 pm

Well Tom I am really sorry that it is not getting better. I remember during the weekend you were saying your arm was burning almost all day. I hope it will work out a solution quickly.

Marc

tovo

Tue May 24, 2011 6:09 pm

Thanks for those answers. Den, in that terrible event send me the 814, I'll be sure to pass it directly to Shel. Trust me on this.

Tom I'm real sorry about your pain, and yours also Sam. I'm sure that a lot of people who have played for years are impeded by injury. Thinking about it I imagine that arthritis in particular is an affliction that curtails the playing of many.

I guess when we struggle with a tune or technique it would be well for us to remember that there are many people who would love to be struggling with guitar but can't.

thereshopeyet

Tue May 24, 2011 6:51 pm

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic