Dos and Don'ts: or how to avoid feeling like a 'bloody idiot'

michelew

Thu Jun 02, 2011 6:03 am

willem wrote:
twocat wrote:
Perhaps I can contribute..............

I worked on appliances for years. I learned to love Playtex Living Gloves. They wear like iron and protect your hands. Large, of course, for me.

Along the lines of artificial nails, there are some made of metal which you can file and bend and create a perfect fit for your nails. (I can create fine fake nails, but don't play well enough to need them.) These are around $5 each.

Let's have a show of hands to see what youse guys nails look like!

"I'll show you mine................if............."

Samster

Oke Sam,,i drum too Image
I hope that's a Halloween costume. Seriously scarey! Fretting could be tricky too.

Music Junkie

Thu Jun 02, 2011 9:09 am

Those nails are kind of a fashion statement in some circles in the US. They just plain freak me out..... :woohoo:

AcousticAl

Sat Jun 04, 2011 7:21 am

Well here's one that I just did the other day..

I bought some lemon oil to use on the fretboards of my guitars. I was told by the music store guy that most guitars (especially higher end ones) have rosewood fretboards and should be treated with Lemon oil occasionally. So I did all three of my guitars when I changed the strings (Taylor GS Mini, Yamaha Silent Guitar and Martin DC-16GTE).

It seemed to work well on the Yamaha and the Taylor-- but wasn't soaking in on the Martin. It turns out that that model of Martin has a Richlite or Micarta fingerboard! Some sort of manmade composite product. I read up on it and there are different opinions on using it on guitars' fretboards, bridges etc.

I'm ok with it, and I'm not good enough to know the difference between the sound and feel of rosewood vs. Richlite. I assume the Richlite will wear better and not warp/crack etc. It's also obviously more sustainable than wood. I just wish I'd have known before trying to treat it like it was rosewood!!!

thereshopeyet

Sun Jun 05, 2011 4:49 pm

Thanks

AcousticAl

Sun Jun 05, 2011 5:06 pm

thereshopeyet wrote:
Hello Al

I had a look for information on Richlite.
Below are a few links from the Richlite website ( from menu on the left of any page).

http://www.richlite.com/countertop/faq.html

http://www.richlite.com/countertop/benefits.html

http://www.richlite.com/countertop/care.html

Hopefully you will find it informative.

Cheers

Dermot

Thanks Dermot.. great stuff.
My fretboard is heat resistant up to 350°F!! Imagine how fast my fingers have to go to generate that much heat! :laugh:
Better start working on those scales!

thereshopeyet

Sun Jun 05, 2011 5:43 pm

Thanks

crowhue

Mon Jun 13, 2011 3:34 am

michelew wrote:
Hi y'all,

I haven't played much this week so I've been looking forward to having some time to play guitar; focusing on a couple of songs that are barre chord work-outs. Before I started I had a shower. It's cold here at the moment so I figured it would help to warm my hands up too. All good so far. After my shower I used a moisturiser (face, hands, etc.), got dressed then sat down to play. All good so far...

Then I started to play barre chords ... DOH!!! Because I'd just had a shower AND used a moisturiser on my hands, they were too supple, grippy and STICKY!!! Trying to slide between chords was ridiculously crappy. Bloody idiot!@! Note to self: don't moisturise your hands when you're about to play guitar.

I've experienced this a few times and just forget. Old, vague, distracted brain... or whatever...

So... what are the things that you often do or try not to do that frustrate your guitar playing? And What are the things you try to do that help?

Other lessons of mine:

- don't go bowling with a long thumb nail - or if you do don't expect to be able to play good bass notes anytime soon (4-6weeks later)
- don't trim you nails significantly and then expect to be able to play the fingerpicking pieces you've been playing well all week - at all - especially don't do this and then try to play for someone.

Tell us about the moments when you've started channeling an idiot (thanks for the expression Hydroman).

B)

Michele
Well I did start playing a piece for a friend in standard tuning only to discover the guitar wasnt.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic