Dos and Don'ts: or how to avoid feeling like a 'bloody idiot'

michelew

Sat May 28, 2011 10:16 pm

Hi y'all,

I haven't played much this week so I've been looking forward to having some time to play guitar; focusing on a couple of songs that are barre chord work-outs. Before I started I had a shower. It's cold here at the moment so I figured it would help to warm my hands up too. All good so far. After my shower I used a moisturiser (face, hands, etc.), got dressed then sat down to play. All good so far...

Then I started to play barre chords ... DOH!!! Because I'd just had a shower AND used a moisturiser on my hands, they were too supple, grippy and STICKY!!! Trying to slide between chords was ridiculously crappy. Bloody idiot!@! Note to self: don't moisturise your hands when you're about to play guitar.

I've experienced this a few times and just forget. Old, vague, distracted brain... or whatever...

So... what are the things that you often do or try not to do that frustrate your guitar playing? And What are the things you try to do that help?

Other lessons of mine:

- don't go bowling with a long thumb nail - or if you do don't expect to be able to play good bass notes anytime soon (4-6weeks later)
- don't trim you nails significantly and then expect to be able to play the fingerpicking pieces you've been playing well all week - at all - especially don't do this and then try to play for someone.

Tell us about the moments when you've started channeling an idiot (thanks for the expression Hydroman).

B)

Michele

haoli25

Sat May 28, 2011 11:15 pm

Thanks for the good laugh, Michele. However, I don't think a lady with perfect hand position and a future stand-in for David Gilmour could ever truly be a 'guitar-idiot'. :laugh: :silly: :laugh:

Bill

buddy

Sat May 28, 2011 11:17 pm

Here are a few,

Leaving the cell phone on while recording.

Not putting work gloves on while working around the place a tearing up my hands.

Dropping my pick in the sound hole.

Playing and singing my heart out with the window open and then looking up to see the handyman staring at me like I am crazy.

michelew

Sat May 28, 2011 11:19 pm

Bill - you're the sweetest! :blush: :)

But, I have my moments.

So fess up - what are you 'what was I thinking?' moments?

michelew

Sat May 28, 2011 11:22 pm

buddy wrote:
Here are a few,

Leaving the cell phone on while recording.

Not putting work gloves on while working around the place a tearing up my hands.

Dropping my pick in the sound hole.

Playing and singing my heart out with the window open and then looking up to see the handyman staring at me like I am crazy.

Yep they're frustrating moments. Although I think the handyman just needs to lighten up.

Oh I forgot one, doing the perfect recording and then realizing that I've forgotten to turn the camera back on. Doh!!! I hate that.

haoli25

Sat May 28, 2011 11:57 pm

A couple of months ago, some friends were playing guitar at a party. One of the guys (who can actually sing) started playing "Nothing Else Matters". At the last moment I grabbed my guitar and started to play along. I can assure you that nothing musical came out of my guitar at that moment. In the future I will try harder to remember which guitars are in standard tuning and which are NOT.

More recently, while playing guitar with some family members. During a conversation, I leaned forward to get my beer. As I leaned forward, the neck moved outward wildly. The very tip of the headstock connected with back of my 5-year old nephews head. I will never forget the look he gave me. "Can you BE that f%&$ing stupid?!?!" After a few seconds of the LOOK, he began to cry. I am pretty sure that he only cried because he realized at that moment that we were related and my 'hard of thinking moment' may be hereditary.

Bill

michelew

Sun May 29, 2011 12:03 am

haoli25 wrote:
A couple of months ago, some friends were playing guitar at a party. One of the guys (who can actually sing) started playing "Nothing Else Matters". At the last moment I grabbed my guitar and started to play along. I can assure you that nothing musical came out of my guitar at that moment. In the future I will try harder to remember which guitars are in standard tuning and which are NOT.

More recently, while playing guitar with some family members. During a conversation, I leaned forward to get my beer. As I leaned forward, the neck moved outward wildly. The very tip of the headstock connected with back of my 5-year old nephews head. I will never forget the look he gave me. "Can you BE that f%&$ing stupid?!?!" After a few seconds of the LOOK, he began to cry. I am pretty sure that he only cried because he realized at that moment that we were related and my 'hard of thinking moment' may be hereditary.

Bill
HILARIOUS!!! Thanks for the out loud giggle.

willem

Sun May 29, 2011 3:26 am

It's hard thinkin here,,i think i don't have that moments,huuummmmm.....i am somebody that likes the play out memorie and then i was thinking to remember ''norwegain wood'' the playing went well till i hit the wrong chord all in front of people ....shiiiiiiiiii.................

all the things written by the others i know them very well.....when i care my pickin nails i alway's think not to short and what you think???? yes to short and have to wait a week before to get the sound i used too..well then i do strumming songs....

neverfoundthetime

Sun May 29, 2011 9:19 am

Well, imagine a moose coughing into an empty oil drum. Got it? That's the involuntary sound which reverberated around the silent dinner table with expectant audience waiting for the song to begin. Yes, I was sitting on an empty metal oil drum (for some unknown reason, it must of been part of the deco!) with guitar in hand and the beans spoke! How embarrassing! Got the biggest laugh I have ever caused. :blush:

haoli25

Sun May 29, 2011 9:34 am

neverfoundthetime wrote:
Well, imagine a moose coughing into an empty oil drum. Got it? That's the involuntary sound which reverberated around the silent dinner table with expectant audience waiting for the song to begin. Yes, I was sitting on an empty metal oil drum (for some unknown reason, it must of been part of the deco!) with guitar in hand and the beans spoke! How embarrassing! Got the biggest laugh I have ever caused. :blush:

A "backside sneeze" always gets my vote! :laugh: :laugh: Good one, Chris. Image

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic