willem showed me his; here's mine

cosmicmechanic

Wed Jun 01, 2011 5:38 pm

tovo

Wed Jun 01, 2011 6:08 pm

Well I like the ingenuity you have shown in modifying the finger pick to better suit your purpose. My thought was that a steel finger pick such as that would have to affect the longevity of your strings? Wear them out a lot quicker if you used the finger picks all the time? Do you wear one on each finger? I think that would sure take some getting used to. I would have liked to hear you play just a bit to hear how it sounded with and without.

I found it interesting. Thanks for posting it.

tovo

Wed Jun 01, 2011 10:06 pm

tovo

Yes, I wear them on all three fingers. They do take some getting used to. I have not used them much as trying to learn two things at once stifles me. Once I learn to switch chords and finger-pick, I will put them on.

I had not even considered the wear and tear on the strings. Something to ponder.

I will make a video of an intro I can play fairly well as soon as my wife has a luncheon engagement.

It's a long story.......

Sam

willem

Thu Jun 02, 2011 1:56 am

Hi Sam that was great,,i am curiuos to the sound too,,i think maybe it is to steely,,i heard and saw someone playing with this picks and remembered it sounded steely,,but when you search for that sound then it is useful and it would be intresting to research some diffrent materials(like plectrums)..

MarkM

Thu Jun 02, 2011 11:23 am

I have made my decision on which sounds better. What do you think?

I said I was going down the strings; I know down is up and up is down on a guitar. No time to re-record!

I've really learned a lot doing this.

Sam

willem

Thu Jun 02, 2011 3:59 pm

Hi Sam not bad at all,,it was not that steely sound that i expect it would be,,maybe it is very useful to experiment with and maybe try also a view diffrent sort strings,,thank you very much...

michelew

Thu Jun 02, 2011 4:24 pm

Sam,

That's interesting. I'm curious though, have you tried using the picks turned around so that the steel nail sits on top of your natural nail and extends it, rather than under it?

Shaping them is a good idea. But, what a lot of work. I guess you only need to do it once rather then all the time as we do with maintaining natural nails.

Thanks

Michele

Hydroman52

Fri Jun 03, 2011 6:10 am

Sam,

This is good information on the picks. I like the way you think outside the box and aren't afraid to modify them. The only reason that I stay away from finger-picking is that I get a bit carried away and rip apart my nails. Very painful. The way I look at it, it's either, spend a lot of time building them up with fake material, use something like this, keep ripping them apart, or just don't finger-pick. Your post gives me another option that I wasn't aware of . . . . . off to the music mall for me.

Thanks!

Hydroman52

BobR

Fri Jun 03, 2011 11:35 am

The kind responses I have had on this thread convince me I MUST become a full-fledged Target member immediately!

AND I DID!!

Man, have I got questions...............

willem

Fri Jun 03, 2011 3:24 pm

twocat wrote:
The kind responses I have had on this thread convince me I MUST become a full-fledged Target member immediately!

AND I DID!!

Man, have I got questions...............

Congrat Sam,,questions on TARGET!!! WAIT,, when you heaR Neil talk of the new experience SONG SURGEON

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic