So why THIS instrument of torture?

suziko

Thu Jun 09, 2011 5:53 am

Like a few others, I started on piano. About 7 years ago, I decided that I wanted to learn to play an instrument. Well, I'd thought about trying to learn for many years before that, but I always told myself that I "wasn't musical." Anyway, I finally realized that if I wasn't musical, it was only because I wasn't putting any effort into becoming musical!

So I got a piano and started learning to play. Piano was nice, but the biggest downside was portability. Plus, I really wanted to, at some point, play something and have people sing along. And only in movies, it seems, do people stand around a piano and sing songs. So eventually I sold the piano and switched to guitar, and I've never looked back. I love playing guitar far more than I ever did piano. It seems so much more versatile and I love how it sounds. And, yeah, I do think it's cooler than piano, and I wear my callouses as a badge of honor. :)

Suzi

willem

Thu Jun 09, 2011 6:25 am

cosmicmechanic wrote:
I guess because in my teenage years I thought of myself as the 6th Beatle (George Martin being the 5th).

Then in my early 20s, a friend gave me an already very used Yamaha classical guitar, and I found some simple chord charts and even made up some songs myself. The common story for many of us here is that other obligations appeared that had to be fulfilled before letting guitar take an important space. But within the limited playing I could fit in, for over 25 years I very rarely met anyone with an inkling to play the same tune I wanted to play. Since TG, I am in an altered state in that aspect, can hardly believe my luck.

Greetings to all you hundreds of other "6th Beatles" out there !

Pierre

Yes Pierre,,for me it is a big frustrating thing that i put in so much practice hours on a song and when the friends night is coming and i wanted to show they say neee i dont like that song,,i am glad i have TG friends too.

but i think that is very common in every cover band,,big discussions on which songs,,i geuss i wanted to be a 6 beatlle,

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic