So why THIS instrument of torture?

michelew

Mon Jun 06, 2011 6:35 am

Hi everyone,

Let's face it, there are easier instruments to learn than the guitar. Until you've developed callouses it literally hurts to play, you can play the same note in 4 or 5 different places unlike most instrument except for strings), you can simiarly play the same chord a heap of different ways, you can really hurt your neck, hands and wrists if you develop poor technique and posture, there are a gazillion techniques to master and it can be heavy to carry around (unlike the ukulele, fliute or cow bell).

Sure, every instrument has it's challenges, but the guitar seems to have a few special ones all of its own.

So why did you choose to learn this instrument of torture?

I think I know what many of you will say, but I'm curious regardless.

Michele
:)

Lavallee

Mon Jun 06, 2011 6:53 am

When I went to College, it was 2 hours from home, so I stayed in residence. It was a small place and we were 35. In the 35 , 20 were playing guitar (not a music school, just a funny timing). The difficulties of learning were way below the radar. The only motivation was it would be cool to learn and play like the others. When I left I was not good but I had the virus.

Marc

haoli25

Mon Jun 06, 2011 6:59 am

Good question, Michele. I am still asking myself that question.

I started playing guitar for the fame, fortune, and women. All but the last three have materialized. :)

Bill

michelew

Mon Jun 06, 2011 7:14 am

haoli25 wrote:
Good question, Michele. I am still asking myself that question.

I started playing guitar for the fame, fortune, and women. All but the last three have materialized. :)

Bill
Haha B) :silly: :P

Yep, I'm right there with you Bill, it's doing wonders for mine too. Still any minute now my latent rockstar may burst out and surprise us all.

michelew

Mon Jun 06, 2011 7:15 am

Lavallee wrote:
When I went to College, it was 2 hours from home, so I stayed in residence. It was a small place and we were 35. In the 35 , 20 were playing guitar (not a music school, just a funny timing). The difficulties of learning were way below the radar. The only motivation was it would be cool to learn and play like the others. When I left I was not good but I had the virus.

Marc
Ahhh...the cool factor and then the 'bug'. Damn bug. I'm sure you can get somehitng for that.

neverfoundthetime

Mon Jun 06, 2011 7:25 am

Well, the thought of lugging a piano around my neck on the way down to the beach camp fire made the decision a little easier but also the sound of the guitar just captivated me. It wasn't until I got a 12 string that I realised it was that specific sound that really got to me, I didn't know the difference before I played and heard one. You are right, of course Michele, the pains, trials and tribulations are many and long but the joy of actually making progress keeps the fire burning. So I guess I should add a sense of achievement in the face of much adversity to my reasons :-).

MarkM

Mon Jun 06, 2011 8:24 am

It was all about the chicks Michele.......... :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Although I really don't remember the exact moment in college when I fell for this piece of wood and steel I'm sure girls had something to do with it. I do recall a party I was at and this guy gets up there and does American Pie. Pretty well from what I remember. I think that was it. Since then however it really is about the sound of the acoustic guitar that gets me every day. Nothing against the piano but I just don't get warm and fuzzies from it.

It wasn't long after college that I got the Stephen Stills "Stills Alone" Album and it shook my world.

Just listen to this song and tell me you don't want to learn the guitar... :) :) :)

MarkM

BobR

Mon Jun 06, 2011 11:20 am

When I first saw the Beatles on the Ed Sullivan Show in "64" I said that's really cool, I want to play the guitar. It's been quite a few years since then and I think it's still cool. I just wish I had been practicing since then :laugh:

Bob

willem

Mon Jun 06, 2011 12:03 pm

In my young years(just married)my wife had a guitar and i tryed to play the ''house of the rising sun'',,wel i geuss i came not further then the house(no rising sun),,,then we have to run a family and a view more challenges,,i build a yacht,,i build a house,,i had 20 years my own flowershop(damn euro),,,oke i can all without it...lets say midlife started,,i stepped in a choir(music was alway's a red thread in my life,on many party's i did the music on the stereoplayer like a dj) and there it started,,i picked up the guitar and tryed it all by myself,i almost give it up again till i met a new person in that choir and i ask ''do you play an music instrument''?..he said i play a bit on guitar,,i said i tryed and it is time to take some serieus lessons,,he said ''well then we go together'''so we went and take at the same time lessons,,,but then i came behind the treu'd,,he was an exellent player and my level was nothing and that goes not together(we are still great friends and play a lot together),,so i said Jim ''YOU NEED NO LESSONS BUT I GO ON WITH IT'' and there it started for me so 8 years ago..of course its not the end of the story,,we all know the difficulty from private lesson,,so for me there came again a moment that i wanted to give up AND THEN!! YES !!! TOTALLYGUITARS AND I BLESS THE LORD FOR THAT...

So can you imagine(you all know) what a progress i(you) made in 1,5 year and even i learn my friend things(but he stay's better then me(on the moment!!! ahahaha)..

I like the guitar of his sound and i was alway's impressed when i saw and listen to one guitarist accompaniment to one singer(i call that litlle music in his form),,thats so great and the most difficult i think..maybe its a marriage.

Music Junkie

Mon Jun 06, 2011 1:35 pm

I am with mark on this one...... It's all about the chicks!... :laugh:

I had always wanted to learn to play the guitar, but never had the time to actually give it a go as a kid. I played too many sports and then had to work. So at the ripe young age of 37, I finally gave it a go as a challenge to myself. I already had THE CHICK by that time, so it was really just to prove to myself that I could do this. I still have a LONG way to go, but I am feeling damn happy about where I am these days..... Plus, like John Denver said, "It introduced me to some friends of mine and brightened up my days"....... B)

MJ

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic