So why THIS instrument of torture?

tovo

Mon Jun 06, 2011 1:42 pm

Gee...guys are SO shallow!

I actually took up the guitar to keep the girls away. See....women would often just come sit themselves on my lap and stare into my eyes. I figured that having a guitar there instead might deter them.

Music Junkie

Mon Jun 06, 2011 2:05 pm

tovo wrote:
Gee...guys are SO shallow!

I actually took up the guitar to keep the girls away. See....women would often just come sit themselves on my lap and stare into my eyes. I figured that having a guitar there instead might deter them.
Tony: Now that I am playing, all I have to do is start singing and I can drive them away in a flash..... ;)

MJ

willem

Mon Jun 06, 2011 3:33 pm

When I was nineteen, years before the joys of Karaoke, I could sing very well with the Everley Brothers on my stereo. I bought a guitar at TG&Y and could not even tune it. My goal was to sing "Rose Connely". I sold the guitar for $5. I always planned to get back to it "someday". Like Buffet said in "He Went to Paris", forty-some years slipped away.

Later, when I was fifty-something, I got to sing "Let It Be Me" whenever I wanted. Got pretty good at it, but the voice had changed.

You're only too old when you're dead!

Sam

michelew

Mon Jun 06, 2011 4:44 pm

Ahhh...so it's all about the chicks (or deterring the chick - Tony you poor bastard. What a hard life you must lead. B) ), not being able to lug the piano to the beach, looking cool (...chicks again right?...), accompanying your singing, for the challenge, and 'The Beatles made me do it'...

...oh and because it sounds good. Well I'm glad a couple of you added that one.

I wish I'd stuck to it when I was a kid too, life sort of gazumped it. Chicks... Hmmm... I wish i'd thought of that one. Yeh for me it's all about the sound and the variety of sound. I love just about everything played on the guitar from Flamenco to hard rock. The sound of fingerpicking in particular really grabs me. Then there is the social element and the singing, still a bit of a dream for me and something to work towards. It also takes up less room than the standard piano, but can still fill a space with music. And I'd just love to be able to play as well as some of the great players you see, who are just mesmerizing. Maybe I've got a secret agenda to mesmerize the chicks that I didn't even realize... Nah! ... it's all about the sound.

Thanks for sharing your motivations.

M.

Music Junkie

Mon Jun 06, 2011 5:12 pm

michelew wrote:
Ahhh...so it's all about the chicks (or deterring the chick - Tony you poor bastard. What a hard life you must lead. B) ), not being able to lug the piano to the beach, looking cool (...chicks again right?...), accompanying your singing, for the challenge, and 'The Beatles made me do it'...

...oh and because it sounds good. Well I'm glad a couple of you added that one.

I wish I'd stuck to it when I was a kid too, life sort of gazumped it. Chicks... Hmmm... I wish i'd thought of that one. Yeh for me it's all about the sound and the variety of sound. I love just about everything played on the guitar from Flamenco to hard rock. The sound of fingerpicking in particular really grabs me. Then there is the social element and the singing, still a bit of a dream for me and something to work towards. It also takes up less room than the standard piano, but can still fill a space with music. And I'd just love to be able to play as well as some of the great players you see, who are just mesmerizing. Maybe I've got a secret agenda to mesmerize the chicks that I didn't even realize... Nah! ... it's all about the sound.

Thanks for sharing your motivations.

M.
In all honesty, I think you are correct. The dynamic sounds that this wonderful, albeit frustrating, instrument can produce are quite soothing. At night when I practice it is very relaxing. Even a bad night of practice beats not practicing at all.... ;)

J

Yamaha48

Mon Jun 06, 2011 5:24 pm

Helllo Michele.

I love my guitars,each have his own sound.
Play now for 4years evry day.
A fantastic instrument.....

Cheers..........Anton

Chasplaya

Tue Jun 07, 2011 3:06 pm

Many many moons ago, I was listening to all the new prog rock stuff and really digging it, due to that I got in with a hippy group of mates, and it kinda of became a craze as we all wanted to emulate Greg Lake and a few others. My closest mate started to teach me 'Nutrocker' by ELP and I was hooked. But since then its been a love hate relationship I love to play and people hate to listen! :laugh:

Now its a great relaxing pastime, if the band at work has gigs then that's a bonus but not my raison d'être

thereshopeyet

Tue Jun 07, 2011 5:56 pm

Thanks

tvarga

Tue Jun 07, 2011 11:06 pm

Well, I used to play the piano and even got fairly good at it.
But, the guitar ... now that instrument alway just grabbed me. It's challenging, I think way more challenging than the piano. I guess that's one thing I like about it.

But what always drew me to the guitar was trying to play something so that it sounds like the actual recording. I used to spend lots of time back in my college days (before tabs) just trying to pick out how to play some Floyd song or other.
Now, it's so much easier with so many TABs out there and now with TG, I'm finally learning the right techniques to play some challenging songs. So, I'm more motivated than ever ... :)
-Tom

cosmicmechanic

Wed Jun 08, 2011 10:56 pm

I guess because in my teenage years I thought of myself as the 6th Beatle (George Martin being the 5th).

Then in my early 20s, a friend gave me an already very used Yamaha classical guitar, and I found some simple chord charts and even made up some songs myself. The common story for many of us here is that other obligations appeared that had to be fulfilled before letting guitar take an important space. But within the limited playing I could fit in, for over 25 years I very rarely met anyone with an inkling to play the same tune I wanted to play. Since TG, I am in an altered state in that aspect, can hardly believe my luck.

Greetings to all you hundreds of other "6th Beatles" out there !

Pierre

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic