Poster sign up

haoli25

Fri Jun 10, 2011 9:07 am

Should we name the globe-trotting banner "WALDO"? :laugh: :laugh:

We can track it on the "Where's Waldo Banner" map.

Bill

willem

Fri Jun 10, 2011 10:22 am

suziko wrote:
reiver wrote:

Hi - my tuppence worth........

I like this idea, but think it would be far more interesting to give and receive from country to country. The thought of buying something for someone else here in the UK seems almost redundant whereas sending something to America or Australia or Canada would add more to the enjoyment.

I know that this would increase the individual cost and the organisation - but, to my mind, it would be worthwhile.

Stuart

Just wanted to say that I totally agree with Stuart on this one. It would be a lot more fun for me to receive something from, eg. The Netherlands or Australia than from Wisconsin or Illinois. I realize that it would take longer for the banner to get to every member but do we need to do it as speedily as possible? It seems to me that maximizing the fun of getting and sending the banner is better than maximizing the efficiency in which the banner travels. Wouldn't it be cool to see it bounce all over the globe? Just my opinion, of course.

Suzi

Hi Suzi,,i love the bouncing idea,,, but when i read between the lines you made some choice in getting a suprise,,when you slight that choice then i know maybe were to sent it,,,if we let it bounce ..

OH yeah on which train is WALDO????

suziko

Fri Jun 10, 2011 11:26 am

Maybe the person who is sending could decide to whom they want to send the package. That person could pick a name off the list, and then make sure the name is crossed off the list, and is also responsible for getting an address for the receiver. If they don't want to ship internationally, they can keep it domestic. But if other people prefer to ship something far away, they could take that on themselves. All the same, even if it were domestic, it might be more fun, and probably not that much more expensive, if you don't ship it to the nearest TGer, but rather to someone far from where you live. It might be more fun for MJ in California, for example, to get a Packers-themed beer cozy from me than for Hydroman in Wisconsin to get the same! :laugh:

Again, just brainstorming here. Hope that's ok.

Suzi

haoli25

Fri Jun 10, 2011 12:09 pm

suziko wrote:
Maybe the person who is sending could decide to whom they want to send the package. That person could pick a name off the list, and then make sure the name is crossed off the list, and is also responsible for getting an address for the receiver. If they don't want to ship internationally, they can keep it domestic. But if other people prefer to ship something far away, they could take that on themselves. All the same, even if it were domestic, it might be more fun, and probably not that much more expensive, if you don't ship it to the nearest TGer, but rather to someone far from where you live. It might be more fun for MJ in California, for example, to get a Packers-themed beer cozy from me than for Hydroman in Wisconsin to get the same! :laugh:

Again, just brainstorming here. Hope that's ok.

Suzi

Good ideas, Suzi. How about having Neil draw a destination every week or every other week during his weekly TG news update? That would keep it random and keep everyone involved.

Bill

suziko

Fri Jun 10, 2011 2:41 pm

Haoli25 wrote:

Good ideas, Suzi. How about having Neil draw a destination every week or every other week during his weekly TG news update? That would keep it random and keep everyone involved.

Bill

I can see why it might not be best if the sender picks. Because then someone is going to end up being picked last, and there's the potential for hurt feelings. I know I'd be sad if I was the last person to be chosen! Having a random element might be better, you're right. If Neil would rather not do it because he's too busy, perhaps Marc could just put all the names in various hats based on the different continents, and then draw from them that way and make up a list?

willem

Fri Jun 10, 2011 3:51 pm

suziko wrote:
Haoli25 wrote:

Bill

I can see why it might not be best if the sender picks. Because then someone is going to end up being picked last, and there's the potential for hurt feelings. I know I'd be sad if I was the last person to be chosen! Having a random element might be better, you're right. If Neil would rather not do it because he's too busy, perhaps Marc could just put all the names in various hats based on the different continents, and then draw from them that way and make up a list?
Maybe throw a dart??? I would love that all ALL of the NEW ENGLANDERS pick one out of the hat...

Lavallee

Fri Jun 10, 2011 5:59 pm

I am finally home (for the next 6 days) . I thank you for posting ideas. I think that if we want a better participation, the cost should be minimize to everybody by shipping to the nearest TG (maybe drive and meet in person if close enough) . .

Like Suzi wrote, picking up a name from the list and scratching the name seems the easiest. But I also like that the list being made in the order of shipment not to offend anyone. I could make the list based on the areas (country, states) together, if you guys prefer this way. It would be fun if Neil could pick random names, but it could go from Europe to Australia, back in the US and right back to New Zealand making the cost prohibitive

For the tracking, keep in mind that Matt will create a map. and the person who receive the banner have to post a picture or a video with the map in that future thread, stating also where it is going

Putting a souvenir (with the persons name in the back) from your area does not necessarily need to be for the receiver but maybe for a showcase that could be made when exhibiting the banner at TG (I assume it will be the last destination). As mentioned before , we need to be careful with the type of souvenir. Because of custom declaration (Thanks Ken (Skaladar) for the head's up) it should be limited to something in paper otherwise a specific declaration will need to be done and it might be difficult be in certain country than others.

There are already some volunteers to take care of the international so nobody else will get stuck with international or intercontinental shipment (cost and custom declaration). The last person of a country will be advise what to do by E-Mail

Bill, Waldo would be a funny name but TG should be in the name since we want to be link to the TG banner worldwide torch of some sort and make a it a TG event.

COULD YOU ALL GIVE SUGGESTIONS OF THE THREAD NAME WITH TG IN IT , WE CAN VOTE ON IT

PLEASE FOR ALL OF THOSE THAT I HAVE MISSED THE NAME, PLEASE PM ME TO ADD OR REMOVE YOUR NAME. WHEN I MADE THE LIST , I WAS PRETTY TIRED. PLEASE COME FORWARD AND GIVE ME YOUR NAME BY TG MAIL, ALSO IF YOU WANT TO BE REMOVED. I WOULD APPRECIATE THAT THE PEOPLE ON THE LIST CONFIRM THEIR INTEREST BY PM AS WELL. I ALREADY KNOW THE ONES THAT HAVE DISCUSS THIS THREAD

Marc

RicksPick

Fri Jun 10, 2011 6:38 pm

TG Banner World Tour. Thread

RicksPick

tovo

Fri Jun 10, 2011 6:44 pm

Hey Marc. Send it down to Australia and we will sure sign it. I like the idea of sending it from country to country with a small gift as Suzi has suggested and I agree that it doesn't really matter how long it takes. Each time it arrives with a new person and they post a pic or a video that will be cool. As someone suggested, if the postage is an issue then send it close. If not, send it far.

By the way, the package will come into Australia no problem. Yes we scan everything but unless someone is planning on sending me some weed (You guys in Amsterdam maybe! ;) ...then we will have no problems). It's just a banner!!

suziko

Fri Jun 10, 2011 6:56 pm

As long as you're not sending food, souvenirs should not cause a problem. I've sent plenty of things to Europe and never had any issues. Custom declarations are NOT hard to fill out, at least on the US side. You just say what the thing is and give a general idea of its value. If it's just a trinket, you put a small value- say $5. Obviously, from what I've already written, I really prefer the idea of the banner jumping around the globe and not sticking to one country for a bunch of members, then moving on to the next country, etc. However, I completely understand that not everyone may agree with me, and I respect that. Whatever the majority decides is, ultimately, fine with me.

Suzi

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic